Coach Boeheim press conference | Syracusefan.com

Coach Boeheim press conference

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for discussion of this yet. Not that there is a lot to discuss, but there is some. I won't give any spoilers in the OP, and will comment in a different post. Unfortunately quite short and not some of the questions that some on here wanted, but it's still the epilogue to the game, one final bonus chapter for us.

Last edited:
Whether folks agree or not, these are most of the highlights of this sub 5 minute presser:

The banked 3 gets mentioned as a fluke that made a difference, the missed open shots of course, and free throws.

The main things I took away from this is the Coach did NOT make the call on Hughes, along with apparently not agreeing with it.

I've seen some swipes on here today and before about Lykes being out, but JB in Judo style, turned that around to say his backup may have been more of a matchup problem for this team.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for discussion of this yet. Not that there is a lot to discuss, but there is some. I won't give any spoilers in the OP, and will comment in a different post. Unfortunately quite short and not some of the questions that some on here wanted., but it's still the epilogue to the game, one final bonus chapter for us.

Lemme guess..."We're not making enough shots". Yeah...right.

The banked 3 gets mentioned as a fluke that made a difference, the missed open shots of course, and free throws.

The main things I took away from this is the Coach did NOT make the call on Hughes, along with apparently not agreeing with it.

I've seen some swipes on here today and before about Lykes being out, but JB in Judo style, turned that around to say they played well without him, and the size change provided a tougher matchup.
Miami played well?

For 35 minutes Miami was absolutely god awful... I mean GOD AWFUL. It was absurdly bad.

he mentioned the banked 3 on his way off the court. that clearly bothered him. it's not why we lost however. agree that it ALMOST sounds like JB wanted elijah to play but the trainers pulled him . i might be wrong but that's what i sensed. apparently losing our top scorer hurts us but their top guy being out is an advantage for them ? not making shot's ? that's your take again ? how about a well paid CEO going before the board and saying "well...we're just not making money right now. " how insightful. you're fired.

Last edited:
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with anything anyone has said. I think JB's presser performance was OK for the sutuation he was in. I have no problem giving it a good grade.

The media certainly didn't follow up like any here, nor even asked anything to that was too distant from softball land, and that is where my focus would be if you wanted to see a different presser. Quite similar to real life, if you think about it.

If only there was a way at times to help compensate for shooters that don't make shots.

We're not able to overcome a banked three whilst up 6? Huh. Odd comment.

I seriously doubt Buddy is shooting over 35% from three in the last 10-15 games, JB. I might wager he's not shooting as well as Goodine over the last 10. lol

I've seen some swipes on here today and before about Lykes being out, but JB in Judo style, turned that around to say they played well without him, and the size change provided a tougher matchup.
Miami without Lykes is an absolutely terrible team. They aren’t good with him but what we saw out there today was mediocre mid-major level like. I’m sure it was heavy coach speak, but even saying Miami played well makes JB look bad.

If only there was a way at times to help compensate for shooters that don't make shots.

We're not able to overcome a banked three whilst up 6? Huh. Odd comment.

I seriously doubt Buddy is shooting over 35% from three in the last 10-15 games, JB. I might wager he's not shooting as well as Goodine over the last 10. lol
Buddy is 28-94 over the last 13 games - a hair under 30% from 3.

After a hot streak in Dec/early January, he’s really struggled. It gets harder every game to justify his minutes when he shoots like that.

Miami without Lykes is an absolutely terrible team. They aren’t good with him but what we saw out there today was mediocre mid-major level like. I’m sure it was heavy coach speak, but even saying Miami played well makes JB look bad.

Yeah, it's the enite thing is under 5 minutes if you want to check it out. If I recall correctly, I think he said he would have preferred Lykes to have played.

It's quite possible he was being disingenuous, but I am not as quick to write off either side, even if the usual defenders of one cower when they are outnumbered an unpopular. If I can do so with real life issues, it feels ok being at least slightly more exhaustive when looking from multiple angles than others choose to be, even if I risk giving folks the impression I've signed one with one because I didn't quickly bend the knee to the other. I try to hold myself to decent standards ar times.

I suppose being I haven't warched Miami games with and without Lykes to understand the difference he may have made against us specifically(you have to remember, when JB says "well" it's in RE:LATIVE TERMS), so I will wait to see if anyone explains what JB meant, or if they continue to cower. I know that Townie, like Lenny Bruce, is not afraid. ;)

After a hot streak in Dec/early January, he’s really struggled. It gets harder every game to justify his minutes when he shoots like that.

Goodine is 30% in 2020! He wins!! He wins!!!

j/k...with today, and an abysmal performance in late December, he comes in at 23% in his last 13 games.

A Miami reporter asked JB what he thought about how Miami played. It would have looked real bad if JB ripped on or said Miami didn’t play well just after they beat us. It would have looked much worse if JB did that. He was in a no win situation.

Yikes. That's rough.

It gets harder every game to justify his minutes when he shoots like that.

I get the feeling we're having zero issues justifying those minutes from a coaching standpoint. :) Zero. Of course, it helps when you think the percentage is over 35% though......even if you're wrong.

Anyway, Buddy's shooting is the least of my concerns. Buddy needs some rest. Just give him 3-5 minutes a half based on how things are going. Get JGIII out a bit more as well - and not just when things get dire.

Also, I wish we could have stopped with the no Goodine, just HoWa. Or just Goodine, no HoWa, game by game rotations. But, #practicematters.

Or the most STUPID of all, HoWA and Goodine at the same time. Also, at this point, with the ACCT here, I don't care much if HoWa gets any minutes at all.

For as frustrating of a game and result as that was, I think Jimmy handled himself very well. He wasn't the curmudgeon that sometimes he is after a tough loss.

Regarding Hughes, clearly he did not agree - he said that. For that not to be his call, the only other two people it could be is the player himself or the trainer. He said that Hughes felt like he could go so through process of elimination, it was the trainer(s). While watching the 2nd half, I kept wondering why Hughes looked so despondent and perhaps upset. If a trainer kept him from playing, then I think I have my answer (unless he was still dizzy from the knock).

he mentioned the banked 3 on his way off the court. that clearly bothered him. it's not why we lost however. agree that it ALMOST sounds like JB wanted elijah to play but the trainers pulled him . i might be wrong but that's what i sensed. apparently losing our top scorer hurts us but their top guy being out is an advantage for them ? not making shot's ? that's your take again ? how about a well paid CEO going before the board and saying "well...we're just not making money right now. " how insightful. you're fired.
I am so tired of hia act.

Eli played in the first half and we were losing. We were awful on offense, but maybe a little less awful in the second half.

what's with the blowfish thing after "not my decision ....."

b744f8f66ed1301e3a7a1f379fd7444a.jpg

(2:25 in)

You probably shouldn't look at Hughes and Girard from deep over their last 13 games either.

Everybody here says how great Hughes is, though...

He’d save a lot of time if he grabbed the mike and just say “Ditto, no further questions. Thank You.”

Truth of the matter is that they aren't making shots. They've had good opportunities inside and out. They've missed almost as many shots within 5 feet of the basket as they have beyond the arc.
I'd be willing to bet that part of Buddy's problems are still with his ankle. The number of his shots that have been short could easily be caused by not getting normal lift off the floor.
All in all, they are either going to decide to go aggressively for it in the tournament or get blown out. I don't think there will be much in between.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom