Coach Cal confronts a coach for bad mouthing him | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Cal confronts a coach for bad mouthing him

Unless that man pounding his chest is Jim Boeheim ;)

I just can't see him doing that, though. JB [per your post above] has a lot of people who dislike him because of his acerbic personality and persona with the press - justifiably so. But he's generally humble and certainly wouldn't condescend to suggest that he's bigger than the game like Cal ostensibly did.

On an unrelated note, now that I think about it--Cal did kind of call out JB and Coach K two years ago, when he whined about how them being involved in USA Basketball gave them an unfair competitive advantage with regards to recruiting. JB didn't let those remakrs sit--he called Cal out in a press conference. Cal then reached out to JB to qualify his remarks and bury the hatchet. So I can't imagine that JB is the guy in this scenario who is unidentified -- he would NEVER let that kind of public dressing down happen to him. No way.

I just can't see him doing that, though. JB [per your post above] has a lot of people who dislike him because of his acerbic personality and persona with the press - justifiably so. But he's generally humble and certainly wouldn't condescend to suggest that he's bigger than the game like Cal ostensibly did.

On an unrelated note, now that I think about it--Cal did kind of call out JB and Coach K two years ago, when he whined about how them being involved in USA Basketball gave them an unfair competitive advantage with regards to recruiting. JB didn't let those remakrs sit--he called Cal out in a press conference. Cal then reached out to JB to qualify his remarks and bury the hatchet. So I can't imagine that JB is the guy in this scenario who is unidentified -- he would NEVER let that kind of public dressing down happen to him. No way.

No he wouldn't. I was just having some fun. I agree with everything you said.

Pounding your chest proclaiming that you can get any player you want in a loud, public argument is a much bigger move, and it isn't even close IMO.

Not that whining about getting beaten out is anything to trumpet, either.
However if, as some of us suspect, PayPal is using cash to undermine other programs' recruiting (which explains his miraculous last-minute leverage), then some grumbling is inevitable and justified. In that case, it's not the grumblers who deserve to be called out. It's PayPal.

Last edited:
It's Cronin and Teague. Never in a million years would Cal confront JB and never in a million years would JB complain about losing out in a manner like this. I base this on the fact that in JB's book he mentions Calipari called him about zone and in an interview Calipari mentioned Syracuse in his top four basketball mountain tops as far as recruiting goes. I also base this on JB being a total baller.

KY fan base makes mountains out of mole hills ABOUT EVERYTHING. An opposing coach could RAVE about Cal's performance there and they'd find a way to make it about jealousy.

"I know you did, I know you said what you said. I’ve heard it from enough people, but I want you to understand one thing. Yes I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day, if I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him. Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do."

"Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do"

Great sound bite to take out of context. :)

However if, as some of us suspect, PayPal is using cash to undermine other programs' recruiting (which explains his miraculous last-minute leverage), then some grumbling is inevitable and justified. In that case, it's not the grumblers who deserve to be called out. It's PayPal.

The "grumblers" still deserve to get called out. Don't be a bitch and then compound matters by denying when you get called out on your bitchness to your face.

And yeah, Cal's a douchebag. And possibly a cheater. Just a preemptive strike in case anyone wants to call me an "apologist."

The "grumblers" still deserve to get called out. Don't be a bitch and then compound matters by denying when you get called out on your bitchness to your face.

And yeah, Cal's a douchebag. And possibly a cheater. Just a preemptive strike in case anyone wants to call me an "apologist."
I don't accept that Mick is a "bitch" because he groused about Cal steeling a recruit .. if in fact Cal is a cheater (which he probably is). What I get out of that is .. Cal's probably a cheater. And if so, Mick has every right to complain. I don't see how shooting the messenger is the right thing to do. Consequences of wrongdoing should be faced by the wrongdoer, not the complainant.

I don't accept that Mick is a "bitch" because he groused about Cal steeling a recruit .. if in fact Cal is a cheater (which he probably is). What I get out of that is .. Cal's probably a cheater. And if so, Mick has every right to complain. I don't see how shooting the messenger is the right thing to do. Consequences of wrongdoing should be faced by the wrongdoer, not the complainant.

grouse
[ grous ]
VERB
complain pettily; grumble

Maybe a poor word choice on your part. But for a man to "complain pettily" is a bitch move.

And sure, he has every right to complain. And I have every right to call him a bitch. Which he is. Your entire take on this is based on who this is. If it was K, Boeheim, or Izzo or any other Syracusefan.com "good guy,"yyour narrative would be 180 degrees. And it shouldn't matter.

grouse
[ grous ]
VERB
complain pettily; grumble

Maybe a poor word choice on your part. But for a man to "complain pettily" is a bitch move.

And sure, he has every right to complain. And I have every right to call him a bitch. Which he is. Your entire take on this is based on who this is. If it was K, Boeheim, or Izzo or any other Syracusefan.com "good guy,"yyour narrative would be 180 degrees. And it shouldn't matter.
I stand by my previous post. You can grouse about whoever you want. I just think it's silly to blame the complainant.

This isn't going to win me any popularity contests on this board, but I don't think that Cal is cheating anymore at UK.

I think he blatantly cheated at both UMass and Memphis, putting mechanisms in place for rules to be flagrantly circumvented by boosters while he stayed "ignorant" at an arms length, to give him an out with plausible deniability.

And I think he started out cheating at UK, as well [Davis, Bledsoe, etc.]. But once the machine got rolling, they didn't have to cheat to land the top talent. It became a momentum in and of itself.

Do I think he's a scumbag and in general bad for the game of college basketball? Sure. ZERO doubt in my mind whatsoever that he blatantly cheated at his previous coaching stops, and at UK initially. But I don't believe that he's actively cheating now -- and certainly not to the extent he has at other places, because he doesn't have to right now.

Last edited:
This isn't going to win me any popularity contests on this board, but I don't think that Cal is cheating anymore at UK.

I think he blatantly cheated at both UMass and Memphis, putting mechanisms in place for rules to be flagrantly circumvented by boosters while he stayed "ignorant" at an arms length, to give him an out with plausible deniability.

And I think he started out cheating at UK, as well [Davis, Bledsoe, etc.]. But once the machine got rolling, they didn't have to cheat to land the top talent. It became a momentum in and of itself.

Do I think he's a scumbag and in general bad for the game of college basketball? Sure. But I don't believe that he's actively cheating -- and certainly not to the extent he has at other places, because he doesn't have to right now.

At the very least I'm pretty sure that UK and JC don't have to cheat to steal a recruit from Cinci and Mick f@#%ing Cronin.

Do I think he's a scumbag and in general bad for the game of college basketball? Sure. But I don't believe that he's actively cheating -- and certainly not to the extent he has at other places, because he doesn't have to right now.
Yeah, you may be right. But if they start to slide, and I think they might be a little, he will start the machine back up. The money machine. And I say that they may be starting to slide a bit, because they are still getting top talent, but not 5 of the top 10. And they don't seem to fit right. This year is going to be interesting with the guards they have. It may work, or it may be a huge train wreck.

Do I think he's a scumbag and in general bad for the game of college basketball? Sure. ZERO doubt in my mind whatsoever that he blatantly cheated at his previous coaching stops, and at UK initially. But I don't believe that he's actively cheating now -- and certainly not to the extent he has at other places, because he doesn't have to right now.

These kids with their handlers are actively selling their services to the highest bidder......he has to cheat to stay current just like every top program.

I'd say thats pretty accurate. We also have to realize that there is big money being tossed around by sneaker companies and clothing lines that even a guy like Cal cannot overcome with some kids. There is a lot of shady stuff that goes on, has gone on and will go on. Cal is by no means the originator of any of it. My issue with him is that he pushed the envelop jumped in bed with all of it and since at UK he's openly and blatantly skirted the rules to max way outside the spirit of those rules.

That may be true. UK may be on such a roll at this stage that they don't have to front (as much) cash for recruits. But there's certainly plenty of circumstantial smoke ... the posses, the special dorms, the "correspondence" classes, the rappers, the last-minute (miraculous) leverage he seems to have ... and of course his rich legacy of cheating at previous institutions. I still think cheating is the most likely explanation for UK's instantaneous and implausible rise to the pinnacle of college recruiting the moment he walked on campus. But lately, the momentum/perception that he's a D-league coach with exceptional access to NBA teams has become so prevalent that it's possible UK's not paying kids off.

I still think cheating is the most likely explanation for UK's instantaneous and implausible rise to the pinnacle of college recruiting the moment he walked on campus.

Yeah, a legit blue blood with seven national titles and thirteen final fours somehow finding a way to recruit well again. What a underdog story.

cal-haters-500x366.jpg

Yeah, a legit blue blood with seven national titles and thirteen final fours somehow finding a way to recruit well again. What a underdog story.
Are you saying that was his record at the time he left UMass? Because that was the period I was referring to (when he arrived at UK).

Last edited:
Are you saying that was his record at the time he left UMass? Because that was the period I was referring to.

No I mean that the idea that it's "implausible" that a program of UKs caliber could suddenly start hauling in blue chips.

No I mean that the idea that it's "implausible" that a program of UKs caliber could suddenly start hauling in blue chips.
It's not as hard to believe .. now that he's gotten all those recruits and has the NBA street cred that he has developed. But as you know, I was arguing in the earlier post that it's implausible that, without cash being involved, he instantly walked into UK and suddenly the recruiting vaulted to the top of college hoops (and it wasn't close).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom