Coach Hop is what Ed McMahon was to Johnny Carson. But will never be Johnny! | Syracusefan.com

Coach Hop is what Ed McMahon was to Johnny Carson. But will never be Johnny!

GooseMutt

All Conference
He is a great sidekick, surrogate mom to players(see his tweets) great player/ coach. But not a head coach. Mike can't stand to be dis- liked by anyone( my perception). Won't be aggressive and ruthless enough to focus on winning at all costs(legal). We re dead!

Good grief.

clint_ew.gif

He is a great sidekick, surrogate mom to players(see his tweets) great player/ coach. But not a head coach. Mike can't stand to be dis- liked by anyone( my perception). Won't be aggressive and ruthless enough to focus on winning at all costs(legal). We re dead!

You have to be ruthless to be a great head coach? Tom Izzo doesn't seem ruthless at all. He was also the head coach in waiting as an assistant at Michigan State. I think Michigan State is glad they gave Izzo a chance.

You would be surprised how nice guys can turn it on and get angry when they are coaching, I am sure Hop is fully capable of getting on guys.

Point of the post?

Lemme guess. A cry for attention?

I can't decide whether the assertion made is more idiotic than destructive or more destructive than idiotic.

Searching around for an analogous situation (An long-time assistant failing to a legendary figure), he comes up with something from show business.

Of course, Ed McMahon was never being groomed to replace Carson. Instead he was a supporting part of the act. So the analogy isn't even analogous.

Point of the post?

Lemme guess. A cry for attention?

I can't decide whether the assertion made is more idiotic than destructive or more destructive than idiotic.

Searching around for an analogous situation (An long-time assistant failing to a legendary figure), he comes up with something from show business.

Of course, Ed McMahon was never being groomed to replace Carson. Instead he was a supporting part of the act. So the analogy isn't even analogous.
Analogies often fail. It's very hard to find two situations that are really, really similar.

I think a better analogy is that Hopkins is St. Paul compared to Boeheim as Jesus Christ.

Hopkins can take the message to Asia Minor and the European cities on the Mediterranean Sea, and reach out to Gentiles, but he will be too influenced by Hellenistic dualism and lose the wholistic view of humanity grounded in Jewish Monotheism.

The result will be that we will play a less physical game and have trouble with the transition game. But our foul shooting will be improved significantly.

Last edited:
I think a better analogy is that Hopkins is St. Paul compared to Boeheim as Jesus Christ.

Hopkins can take the message to Asia Minor and the European cities on the Mediterranean Sea, and reach out to Gentiles, but he will be too influenced by Hellenistic dualism and lose the wholistic view of humanity grounded in Jewish Monotheism.

The result will be that we will play a less physical game and have trouble with the transition game.

This made me spit my water out.

The result will be that we will play a less physical game and have trouble with the transition game.

Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

Analogies often fail. It's very hard to find two situations that are really, really similar.

Yeah, but

A show business professional "second banana" who was never expected to be anything significant on his own (except maybe a game show host) versus a assistant basketball coach who would have been offered many HC gigs and who has been a significant part of the program (e..g. recruiting)

Even direct basketball ones, like Esherick after Thompson, Jr don't work because nobody but GU was interested in him as a HC.

Yeah, but

A show business professional "second banana" who was never expected to be anything significant on his own (except maybe a game show host) versus a assistant basketball coach who would have been offered many HC gigs and who has been a significant part of the program (e..g. recruiting)

Even direct basketball ones, like Esherick after Thompson, Jr don't work because nobody but GU was interested in him as a HC.
I was trying to make the larger point that analogies are notoriously shaky. The OP's analogy is so off the wall that it probably didn't deserve a response from any of us.

It's easy enough to find plenty of examples where the long-time loyal assistant has been promoted to take over for the revered mentor. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hey, Newbie... Your negative debut(s) here are not exactly heart-warming welcomes to Orange Madness and the un-official start of the season. You might want to read the Forum a bit to get a better understanding of it. It's not just about throwing up some out-of-nowhere stuff to see what sticks.

GooseMutt said:

You don't know Hop.

Um no. Where is the dislike button?

I was trying to make the larger point that analogies are notoriously shaky. The OP's analogy is so off the wall that it probably didn't deserve a response from any of us.

It's easy enough to find plenty of examples where the long-time loyal assistant has been promoted to take over for the revered mentor. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Keep your fingers crossed.

This thread actually and surprisingly should provoke the larger question about the pre-ordained ascendacy of Hopkins to the throne.

I believe that Hopkins is the absolute best candidate we could find. The "hot" new coach is too big of a risk, I think. I want somebody who will carry on with the program as it exists and not someone to take it off in an untried direction.

The question is "Is Boeheim replaceable?" Is he such a great coach and smart guy that no matter who we put in there it will be a step down? That he is the only one that could keep a smallish private school in Suburban Siberia at the top of the college game?