Coach Hop is what Ed McMahon was to Johnny Carson. But will never be Johnny! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Hop is what Ed McMahon was to Johnny Carson. But will never be Johnny!

And all the while I thought the dumbest stuff could be found on the Off Topic board.

This thread actually and surprisingly should provoke the larger question about the pre-ordained ascendacy of Hopkins to the throne.

I believe that Hopkins is the absolute best candidate we could find. The "hot" new coach is too big of a risk, I think. I want somebody who will carry on with the program as it exists and not someone to take it off in an untried direction.

The question is "Is Boeheim replaceable?" Is he such a great coach and smart guy that no matter who we put in there it will be a step down? That he is the only one that could keep a smallish private school in Suburban Siberia at the top of the college game?
I believe Boeheim is NOT replaceable, but eventually we should get back into stride once he leaves. I am thinking of Carolina's troubles after Dean Smith left. I am forgetting the name of his assistant coach who was promoted (Guthrie?) and I believe he was head coach for one year when he "only" won the NCAA championship with players that had been teed up for him. Not an easy thing to do; nevertheless, he was replaced with Dougherty who was an absolute disaster. I am not sure how many years he stayed at Carolina (3?) but it was agony big-time (I have many Carolina friends). They started slipping but then along came Roy and they are now creme de la creme again.

When Coach K goes, I am thinking there will be slippage but eventually someone will right the ship. I like to believe that we are a program of consistently high credibility and production, just like Duke and UNC. Players will continue to want to play for us because of the Dome, Melo Center, and our tradition of excellence.

But Boeheim will never be replaced. He is unique. It is right to quake a little.

He's Carnac?
I hold in my hand the envelopes. As a child of four can plainly see, these envelopes have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls' porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of these envelopes – but you, in your mystical and borderline divine way, will ascertain the answers having never before heard the questions.

I believe Boeheim is NOT replaceable, but eventually we should get back into stride once he leaves. I am thinking of Carolina's troubles after Dean Smith left. I am forgetting the name of his assistant coach who was promoted (Guthrie?) and I believe he was head coach for one year when he "only" won the NCAA championship with players that had been teed up for him. Not an easy thing to do; nevertheless, he was replaced with Dougherty who was an absolute disaster. I am not sure how many years he stayed at Carolina (3?) but it was agony big-time (I have many Carolina friends). They started slipping but then along came Roy and they are now creme de la creme again.

When Coach K goes, I am thinking there will be slippage but eventually someone will right the ship. I like to believe that we are a program of consistently high credibility and production, just like Duke and UNC. Players will continue to want to play for us because of the Dome, Melo Center, and our tradition of excellence.

But Boeheim will never be replaced. He is unique. It is right to quake a little.

coach Guthridge went to 2 final fours in 3 seasons (98, '00) but didn't win the title. The first post dean title was won by Roy in 2005 with Doherty's players. The middle year of Guthridge's tenure UNC lost on the first round to Weber St. starring Harold "the show" Arceneaux.

I hold in my hand the envelopes. As a child of four can plainly see, these envelopes have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls' porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of these envelopes – but you, in your mystical and borderline divine way, will ascertain the answers having never before heard the questions.

May a bloated yak change the temperature of your jacuzzi.

1099.gif

coach Guthridge went to 2 final fours in 3 seasons (98, '00) but didn't win the title. The first post dean title was won by Roy in 2005 with Doherty's players. The middle year of Guthridge's tenure UNC lost on the first round to Weber St. starring Harold "the show" Arceneaux.

For his part, Roy was on the rebound, too, having lost the title game in 2003.

Thanks for correcting my faulty memory! I could have sworn he won a title.