Coaches on the hot seat? | Syracusefan.com

Coaches on the hot seat?

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
All of the bubble talk got me thinking about coaches in the major conferences that are on the hot seat, or at least seem like they should be. I'm not saying this year is the year or they will be gone, but they might only get one more year to turn it around in some of these cases.

ACC
Brad Brownell, Clemson - Hasn't been to the NCAA since 2010-11 and they just upgraded Littlejohn Coliseum. I would recommend he do better next year.

Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech - I actually thought he was a good hire for Georgia Tech, and this is his best season. But I would think they would want an NCAA berth pretty soon, especially after building a new arena.

Big 10
Richard Pitino, Minnesota - I may be biased because I don't think this was a very smart hire to begin with after only one 18-15 season at FIU. But 25-13, 18-15 and then 8-19 this year is not trending in the right direction.

John Groce, Illinois - Made the NCAA in his first year, but has followed that with 20-15, 19-14 and 12-15 this year.

Tim Miles, Nebraska - Had a nice run in 2013-14 to make the tournament, but has followed that up with 13-18 and 14-14. Another school with a new arena that I would think would want better starting soon.

SEC
Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt - Hasn't made the tournament since 2011-12. I'd recommend doing so this year.

Pac 12
Lorenzo Romar, Washington - Has had a pretty nice run with the Huskies but hasn't made the tournament since 2010-11.

Big 12
Trent Johnson, TCU - Not an easy job in a tough conference, but just made a significant investment in their facility and probably wants to see some rewards soon.

Travis Ford, Oklahoma State - He's been hit with injuries this year with Jawun Evans and Phil Forte missing significant time. But the heat was already turned up after not winning a tournament game since 2008-09.

Bruce Weber, Kansas State - I doubt he is gone after this year, but many K State fans were uninspired for this replacement for Frank Martin since Illinois had just fired him.

AAC
Josh Pastner, Memphis - Hasn't made the NCAA since 2013-14 and the arena is becoming emptier and emptier as this year goes along from what I read.

Add Donnie Jones at UCF, Kim Anderson at Missouri and there are rumors that when/if Travis Ford is let go from Oklahoma St that he'll replace Boston College's Jim Christian.

Add Donnie Jones at UCF, Kim Anderson at Missouri and there are rumors that when/if Travis Ford is let go from Oklahoma St that he'll replace Boston College's Jim Christian.

I debated about Kim Anderson. His first two years have been awful, no way to really dispute that. But they just self-imposed scholarship sanctions this year due to Frank Haith's tenure. Who knows if the NCAA will add to that or not? I'm not sure if now would be the best time for them to be looking for a new coach. But it could very well happen given how awful they have been last year and this year.

Last edited:
Great post, thanks for putting together. A few names that pop out and are interesting to me:

John Groce - It has to be a killer to be so close to such an absolutely loaded area of talent in Chicago and not being able to get most of the big names to stay home. They need to find a guy who can keep those Chicago kids home or else I can't see them ever really emerging from their current status. I mean just from 2011-15 here is a brief list of the guys from Illinois who left the state - Fred Van Vleet who was a 4 star and best player in the state as a senior, Anthony Davis, Wayne Blackshear, Quincy Miller, Sam Thompson, Ryan Boatright, Frank Kaminsky, Roosevelt Jones, Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander, Jabari Parker, Tyler Ullis, Keita Bates-Diop, Paul White, Jalen Brunson, Charles Matthews. That's just the last 5 recruiting classes! Can you imagine if they even got 1/4 of those kids? It's crazy because sometimes all it takes is one to get the ball back rolling and provide credibility to the hometown school but that first domino is always so elusive. With the right guy that can crack that code they will be an absolute monster.

Lorenzo Romar - I think he'll turn it around in the next couple seasons because he's recruited pretty well and has some good talent coming in. I read that they said what's really hurt him is that the Northwest had a stretch where they were producing pretty good talent and he was able to get some of them to stay home. Lately that area hasn't produced talent at the same levels and it's hurt him in terms of being able to stock up his roster. With Fultz coming in and I think he is Michael Porter's godfather or something and just signed his brother so if he ends up at Washington with Fultz and some of the other guys they have brought in they could be primed to get momentum for the program going again.

Josh Pastner - Never been a fan of his. In his defense though I think whoever had to follow Calipari there was somewhat destined to fail. What he did at Memphis in terms of building them up and then when he left they had a great class lined up to follow up their NC game run with Rose is really rare and difficult to do at a school that isn't in a "major" conference so to speak. Having said that though, Pastner's teams have basically been a glorified AAU team the last few years. They're fun to watch just because you're due for a few moments a game that are just ridiculous that a major college program has things like that taking place. They pull talent in and then they look like they practice once a week which consists of lay up lines and a scrimmage for an hour before they go home. I feel like they might get caught in that trap where they're always chasing someone who can let them relive the Calipari years which would be a mistake but who knows maybe I'm wrong. Either way I think Pastner is not the long term answer.

All of the bubble talk got me thinking about coaches in the major conferences that are on the hot seat, or at least seem like they should be. I'm not saying this year is the year or they will be gone, but they might only get one more year to turn it around in some of these cases.

ACC
Brad Brownell, Clemson - Hasn't been to the NCAA since 2010-11 and they just upgraded Littlejohn Coliseum. I would recommend he do better next year.

Brian Gregory, Georgia Tech - I actually thought he was a good hire for Georgia Tech, and this is his best season. But I would think they would want an NCAA berth pretty soon, especially after building a new arena.

Big 10
Richard Pitino, Minnesota - I may be biased because I don't think this was a very smart hire to begin with after only one 18-15 season at FIU. But 25-13, 18-15 and then 8-19 this year is not trending in the right direction.

John Groce, Illinois - Made the NCAA in his first year, but has followed that with 20-15, 19-14 and 12-15 this year.

Tim Miles, Nebraska - Had a nice run in 2013-14 to make the tournament, but has followed that up with 13-18 and 14-14. Another school with a new arena that I would think would want better starting soon.

SEC
Kevin Stallings, Vanderbilt - Hasn't made the tournament since 2011-12. I'd recommend doing so this year.

Pac 12
Lorenzo Romar, Washington - Has had a pretty nice run with the Huskies but hasn't made the tournament since 2010-11.

Big 12
Trent Johnson, TCU - Not an easy job in a tough conference, but just made a significant investment in their facility and probably wants to see some rewards soon.

Travis Ford, Oklahoma State - He's been hit with injuries this year with Jawun Evans and Phil Forte missing significant time. But the heat was already turned up after not winning a tournament game since 2008-09.

Bruce Weber, Kansas State - I doubt he is gone after this year, but many K State fans were uninspired for this replacement for Frank Martin since Illinois had just fired him.

AAC
Josh Pastner, Memphis - Hasn't made the NCAA since 2013-14 and the arena is becoming emptier and emptier as this year goes along from what I read.
Of those listed, I'm fairly sure Ford, Gregory, Pastner will be unemployed in a couple of months... add Stallings to that if Vandy fails to make the tourney

ACC

Big 10

SEC

Pac 12

Big 12

AAC

Gregory is an awful basketball coach and I cant believe they havent fired him yet.
Pitini will get one more year because they won the NIT
Romar is gone.

Add Boeheim - if he doesn't get a title, I think he's gone in the next few years.

Ole Roy as well. Health, the looming NCAA decision, the fact that many seasoned fans don't like him, and his dump truck full of left over time outs are taking its toll on him. He Gone soon.
r6RqtsE.png

I have to say, I'm really surprised to read Washington hasn't made the dance since 2011 and Vandy since 2012.

BC has a quick trigger. Steve Donohue got what, 4 years? And this is only Jim Christian's second Year. A guy has to come into a situation like that with a 5 year plan.and a chance to implement it. Some have suggested it's karma biting them in the ass for firing the football coach because he merely had an interview with an NFL team

My top 3 to get fired Eddie Jordan-Rutgers, Travis Ford-Oklahoma State, Josh Passner-Memphis.

Gregory is an awful basketball coach and I cant believe they havent fired him yet.
GA Tech is still paying Paul Hewitt. They couldn't afford to pay 3 coaches.
I believe Hewitt's payments end at the end of the this season, so maybe now is the time.

I'm going to have fun and throw out jaime dixon if they don't make the tournament. How many years without NCAA tournament success? 13 years and no final fours. No tournament last year. Maybe none this year?

If Tom Cream doesn't get past the first round he's got to be almost done at Indiana.

I would love to get them in the first round.

Of those listed, I'm fairly sure Ford, Gregory, Pastner will be unemployed in a couple of months... add Stallings to that if Vandy fails to make the tourney
Really? I disagree with this. I think he's done a decent job. You can't be outraged if they fire him but he has not been terrible.

Great post, thanks for putting together. A few names that pop out and are interesting to me:

John Groce - It has to be a killer to be so close to such an absolutely loaded area of talent in Chicago and not being able to get most of the big names to stay home. They need to find a guy who can keep those Chicago kids home or else I can't see them ever really emerging from their current status. I mean just from 2011-15 here is a brief list of the guys from Illinois who left the state - Fred Van Vleet who was a 4 star and best player in the state as a senior, Anthony Davis, Wayne Blackshear, Quincy Miller, Sam Thompson, Ryan Boatright, Frank Kaminsky, Roosevelt Jones, Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander, Jabari Parker, Tyler Ullis, Keita Bates-Diop, Paul White, Jalen Brunson, Charles Matthews. That's just the last 5 recruiting classes! Can you imagine if they even got 1/4 of those kids? It's crazy because sometimes all it takes is one to get the ball back rolling and provide credibility to the hometown school but that first domino is always so elusive. With the right guy that can crack that code they will be an absolute monster.

Lorenzo Romar - I think he'll turn it around in the next couple seasons because he's recruited pretty well and has some good talent coming in. I read that they said what's really hurt him is that the Northwest had a stretch where they were producing pretty good talent and he was able to get some of them to stay home. Lately that area hasn't produced talent at the same levels and it's hurt him in terms of being able to stock up his roster. With Fultz coming in and I think he is Michael Porter's godfather or something and just signed his brother so if he ends up at Washington with Fultz and some of the other guys they have brought in they could be primed to get momentum for the program going again.

Josh Pastner - Never been a fan of his. In his defense though I think whoever had to follow Calipari there was somewhat destined to fail. What he did at Memphis in terms of building them up and then when he left they had a great class lined up to follow up their NC game run with Rose is really rare and difficult to do at a school that isn't in a "major" conference so to speak. Having said that though, Pastner's teams have basically been a glorified AAU team the last few years. They're fun to watch just because you're due for a few moments a game that are just ridiculous that a major college program has things like that taking place. They pull talent in and then they look like they practice once a week which consists of lay up lines and a scrimmage for an hour before they go home. I feel like they might get caught in that trap where they're always chasing someone who can let them relive the Calipari years which would be a mistake but who knows maybe I'm wrong. Either way I think Pastner is not the long term answer.
Great post, Sully. What's amazing about Illinois, is that out of all the players that you listed, only Cliff Alexander seriously considered them when making his final decision. You would think Illinois would make having a coach with some state wide connections a requirement or at least having an assistant that is highly connected in the state.

I think Romar will bounce back next season as well. The majority of his top players this season are freshman and Fultz should be able to get them over the top next season. If he can land the supposed Mike Porter/Trey Young package for 2017, then he'll end up buying himself a few more years, unless next season is a disaster.

Agree 100% on Pastner. He should be coaching an AAU squad, much less a D1 program with high expectations of themselves. I think the issue with him that I read is that he has a ridiculous buyout, that the folks at Memphis may not want to pay at this point if they fire him. One of their main boosters is the CEO of FedEx. So they should just holla at him to write Pastner a check to go take a hike lol.

Georgia Tech is mind boggling, they have a decent history, great city, new arena, they should be better than they are.

Pastner has a $10M buyout clause I believe. Memphis is stuck with him. He recruits well enough to win in the AAC, but can't coach a lick.

Bumping my own thread to add Johnny Dawkins from Stanford. Two NIT championships but that will only take you so far when you get the NCAA once in 7 years and won't be making it this year.

Bumping my own thread to add Johnny Dawkins from Stanford. Two NIT championships but that will only take you so far when you get the NCAA once in 7 years and won't be making it this year.
yeah, probably need to keep his job in mind. though this year I think they've had some injury issues - think he'll get at least one more year

Georgia Tech is mind boggling, they have a decent history, great city, new arena, they should be better than they are.
The team is on a winning streak now. If they can somehow beat Louisville and then take care of Pitt, they could still play their way in. It's a fragile team, dependent on grad transfers.

I expect them to lose at Louisville and beat Pitt at home.

They could well make the NIT. Would that be enough to keep his job? It would be the first tournament appearance, of any kind, since he's been in Atlanta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom