Coaching Carousel | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Michigan:
Boston College defensive coordinator Don Brown will join the Michigan staff as defensive coordinator, according to Sports Illustrated’s Thayer Evans. Brown has been at BC since 2013 and has head coaching experience at Plymouth State, Northeastern and UMass. Brown’s BC defense was No. 4 in scoring defense this season and No. 1 in yards per play allowed.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Michigan:
Boston College defensive coordinator Don Brown will join the Michigan staff as defensive coordinator, according to Sports Illustrated’s Thayer Evans. Brown has been at BC since 2013 and has head coaching experience at Plymouth State, Northeastern and UMass. Brown’s BC defense was No. 4 in scoring defense this season and No. 1 in yards per play allowed.

Nice pickup for Michigan

Agreed. Huge loss for BC. He did a great job there...

Found it interesting that Shafer ended up at Maryland with Harbaugh's assistant that he coached with at Stanford instead of Michigan where Harbaugh is now and he previously left Harbaugh for.

Found it interesting that Shafer ended up at Maryland with Harbaugh's assistant that he coached with at Stanford instead of Michigan where Harbaugh is now and he previously left Harbaugh for.
I remember quotes from Shafer about his time in Ann Arbor. I don't think he would want to put his family in that situation again , if it was an option .

I remember quotes from Shafer about his time in Ann Arbor. I don't think he would want to put his family in that situation again , if it was an option .
Would be probably be much different coaching under Harbaugh, but you're right, maybe he's scarred.

Too much negative history there -- doubt Shafer would be a candidate for UM, given what transpired there last time.

Michigan: Boston College defensive coordinator Don Brown will join the Michigan staff as defensive coordinator.

Brown’s BC defense was No. 4 in scoring defense this season and No. 1 in yards per play allowed.
latest

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...ott-Shafer-and-Mike-London-as-soon-as-I-could

When D.J. Durkin became Maryland’s head coach earlier this month, he immediately went after some head coaches that were dismissed days prior.

Scott Shafer (defensive coordinator) and Mike London (defensive line) were two of Durkin’s first hires at Maryland. They were top priorities for the first-time head coach.

“Anytime you can surround yourself with people that have great experience and knowledge of what you’re doing, it’s a good thing to do,” Durkin said on Big Ten Network. “Both of those guys, they’re great human beings, great people, guys that are well-thought-of throughout our entire profession.

CuseLegacy said:
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...ott-Shafer-and-Mike-London-as-soon-as-I-could When D.J. Durkin became Maryland’s head coach earlier this month, he immediately went after some head coaches that were dismissed days prior. Scott Shafer (defensive coordinator) and Mike London (defensive line) were two of Durkin’s first hires at Maryland. They were top priorities for the first-time head coach. “Anytime you can surround yourself with people that have great experience and knowledge of what you’re doing, it’s a good thing to do,” Durkin said on Big Ten Network. “Both of those guys, they’re great human beings, great people, guys that are well-thought-of throughout our entire profession.
I honestly think Durkin can do some big things in the B1G while at Maryland. I really like the London hire for DL coach. He was always a great recruit just couldn't get the product he wanted on the field.

I honestly think Durkin can do some big things in the B1G while at Maryland. I really like the London hire for DL coach. He was always a great recruit just couldn't get the product he wanted on the field.
For the foreseeable future, he'll be playing for 5th place behind the two Meeshigans, thatOSU, and PedState. London will be a good DL coach for the Twerps; he was out of his element, at least for the time, as a HC. A lot of our recruiting ranking was based on the high star ratings of 2 or 3 players per class, the rest were good, but not superstud, players. Being a position coach will allow him to focus his efforts on recruiting for the DL, because the overall recruiting beyond the superstuds was very unfocused. You don't want to talk to a UVa fan right now about our OL, or, more correctly, the lack thereof. Another sore spot, that's been discussed more now that he's gone, was the number of ATHLETEs he recruited.

Last edited:

And another one..@Moontan and OrangeXtreme

UMD where former HCs go to coach.
Durkin must have gotten a ton of money for assistants.

When a middling program like Maryland can pay more for a non-coordinator position coach (like all three of these guys) than programs like Ball State can pay for their head coach, it really shows how wide the gap has become between P5 programs and the unloved toy programs not in P5 conferences.

Last edited:
Have to give him credit for hiring staff with a lot of previous HC experience.

Have to give him credit for hiring staff with a lot of previous HC experience.
I do wonder if there will be too many cooks in the kitchen. Should be interesting to watch.

Durkin must have gotten a ton of money for assistants.

When a middling program like Maryland can pay more for a non-coordinator position coach (like all three of these guys) than programs like Ball State can pay for their head coach, it really shows how wide the gap has become between P5 programs and the unloved toy program.

That's some horsepower he has on staff.

wow maryland must be throwing gobs of money at assistants. what a staff. The only downside is could be too many cooks in the kitchen for a first time Head Coach.

PhatOrange said:
wow maryland must be throwing gobs of money at assistants. what a staff. The only downside is could be too many cooks in the kitchen for a first time Head Coach.

Yeah, it's almost to the point where it could get awkward for the 37 year old first time HC telling all the former HCs what to do.

Yeah, it's almost to the point where it could get awkward for the 37 year old first time HC telling all the former HCs what to do.
Most of those HCs were fired HCs.
Still, can't root for UMD.