Coaching Staff and Potential Changes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff and Potential Changes

These are rumblings coming form outside of SU, there is no obsession this what other people claim they are hearing. Could it all be conjecture and bad information of course, but its not coming from this board and no one is grasping at straws. Second those reasons were as I noted provided by a Yale fan not from me.
Then why do you credit them?

Then why do you credit them?

How did I credit them? My original post had nothing to do with fanlax info about Shay, that came in after by another poster. No offense but you might want to re-read the thread.

There are rebuttals for almost all these arguments, but rather than discuss them, I would like to understand where the enthusiasm for Shay came from. I offer one reason for staying put. Shay's kids get Yale free. Yale has billions and uses it to help less advantaged kids attend. Shay has recruited some of the better private school players for years because Yale is an entrance to the top of almost every field. And New Haven aint that bad. Yale lies on the edge of a bad neighborhood, but the city has plenty to offer.

Why not Murphy, if you want an ivy? Why the obsession with Shay? It all seems like wishful thinking to me. We suffered through a tough season. Grasping at straws is understandable. I can think of a dozen candidates to be excited about with much better reasons to want the job than Shay. Let's take some time to heal. See where we stand in September. Desko pulled SU out of 2007, maybe he can do it again. Maybe not. I am firmly ensconced in the middle. I'll be here either way.

Dude it's not an obsession, he's one of THE VERY BEST coaches in the game and he's a Section III guy. There's really no more qualified guy for the job. And you're more apt to get a CNY native than some guy who's never been to Syracuse (and why would we want someone less than Shay?).

(fyi his kids are years away from a free education at Yale). That would likely rank very low on his list of reasons not to move. Pulling kids out of school for a new school would rank much higher as it would for any parent. His wife is also a CT native.

How did I credit them? My original post had nothing to do with fanlax info about Shay, that came in after by another poster. No offense but you might want to re-read the thread.
apologies Jeremy. I should not have attached my post to yours. I believe you took it personally. I was speaking to everyone who for the last few months have been posting about Shay. My bad. Please accept my apologies.

Dude it's not an obsession, he's one of THE VERY BEST coaches in the game and he's a Section III guy. There's really no more qualified guy for the job. And you're more apt to get a CNY native than some guy who's never been to Syracuse (and why would we want someone less than Shay?).

(fyi his kids are years away from a free education at Yale). That would likely rank very low on his list of reasons not to move. Pulling kids out of school for a new school would rank much higher as it would for any parent. His wife is also a CT native.
I guess I've gored everyone's ox.

apologies Jeremy. I should not have attached my post to yours. I believe you took it personally. I was speaking to everyone who for the last few months have been posting about Shay. My bad. Please accept my apologies.

Sholo there is no need to apologize I certainly respect your thoughts, just wanted to make it clear that I don't think myself or anyone is overly pinning for Shay or trying to will something to happen that will never happen. If SU were to move on I think he would be a hell of a choice for obvious reasons but if we stayed with Desko and made a few changes I think 99% of us would be rooting like hell for a turn around next season.

Sholo there is no need to apologize I certainly respect your thoughts, just wanted to make it clear that I don't think myself or anyone is overly pinning for Shay or trying to will something to happen that will never happen. If SU were to move on I think he would be a hell of a choice for obvious reasons but if we stayed with Desko and made a few changes I think 99% of us would be rooting like hell for a turn around next season.

I think that sums it up quite nicely.

(but admittedly I get a little rankled when people who know nothing say why would he take the syracuse job. That’s flat nutz)

Last edited:
I did not know this until I read it on wikipedia. Syracuse's first lacrosse coach. Laurie Cox, basically established college lacrosse as a sport. That's how deep SU Lax gos.

Last edited:
Does this quote from Spallina change the calculus on whether a change is made??

"I really can’t wait to play for coach Desko."
Desko barely recruits. Lelan is the main guy on the circuit.

Toomey would be my first choice but I don't know that he would be willing to leave Baltimore. I think his success is more impressive than just about anybody else - he simply does more with significantly less top recruits. Leaving Desko and crew in place to continue the implosion will be disastrous for the program and risks losing the 22 recruits. In case anyone hasn't noticed, the other ACC teams, Maryland etc. are getting phenomenal recruiting classes this Fall - many of the top 100.

I'm actually a Desko fan and think he's done quite well over the past few years given that Cuse couldn't compete academically (and weather) for the top recruits. This season was on him and the staff. The team looked tired, a step behind in many games, and didn't seem to be having much fun. I have heard rumblings that the players were uncomfortable with the systems in place and the coaches were unwilling to change, even after lopsided, embarrassing losses. Several players were playing with nagging injuries for the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season (Dearth, Porter to name a couple).

It shouldn't be overlooked that with Donahue leaving, they lost a guy who not only coached the offense but also fogos and goalies. I've listened to all the talk about March and his recruiting work - I can't get over watching an offense struggle and look uncomfortable while adding an elite talent in Hiltz and Rehfuss having his best year. I think Rogers performance is best judged by just how bad the defense was and how good other team's defenses are with similar or even lesser talent.

Funniest line I've ever read on SyracuseFan. ;)
Howie , Please inform the uninformed that Lars genius and philosophies was blasted by many uva fans for nearly 3 years before his "process" using Starsia high end recruits and reading list bore real fruit .
That wondrous trip thru 2019 playoffs ended in the dismantling of Yale's rather privileged and mouthy team which was thoroughly enjoyed by most fans including myself.

It rekindled the initial love affair with Tiff and lasted until the 3rd game of 2020. Even earlier this year , uva fans were beetching loudly about crappy play and coaching including oc Kerwick. Will be a outcry expressing dissatisfaction with staff if they lose to Georgetown. Can envision the complaints already, iso hero ball with little passing ( although high % of their goals are assisted ) crappy wing play and defense etc etc ...

UVA is defending champs...Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

Howie , Please inform the uninformed that Lars genius and philosophies was blasted by many uva fans for nearly 3 years before his "process" using Starsia high end recruits and reading list bore real fruit .
That wondrous trip thru 2019 playoffs ended in the dismantling of Yale's rather privileged and mouthy team which was thoroughly enjoyed by most fans including myself.

It rekindled the initial love affair with Tiff and lasted until the 3rd game of 2020. Even earlier this year , uva fans were beetching loudly about crappy play and coaching including oc Kerwick. Will be a outcry expressing dissatisfaction with staff if they lose to Georgetown. Can envision the complaints already, iso hero ball with little passing ( although high % of their goals are assisted ) crappy wing play and defense etc etc ...

UVA is defending champs...Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown
^^^This in spades!^^^ I'm sure that even Memorial Day weekend, 2019, there were more than a few that mumbled, "We didn't win by enough."

I mean really, you didnt even beat Maryland.
Well, things happen. ;)

Funny thing, there were rumors we were going to start playing them this year as a replacement for JHU.

Well, things happen. ;)

Funny thing, there were rumors we were going to start playing them this year as a replacement for JHU.
Maryland and UVa were scheduled to play last year. It was the next game coming up, when the cancellation occurred due to coronavirus.

Assuming things get back to normal next spring, I expect UVa vs Maryland to be on the schedule.

Obviously Georgetown losing Reilly (their FO) doesn't help - I'm not minimizing that - it looks bad for Georgetown to wipe us out and then for them to get drubbed by UVA. Fair comparison or not, it just looks terrible.

Well; that was pretty frustrating to see the way UVA took care of GTown after they blew us out - yes , match ups and hurt Gtown fogo etc

But it wasn’t long ago that we pushed UVA around for the second Time ...and now they came to play which is the BIG difference here ..

To think we had a decent chance to make the FF if we took care of GTown and to not only get pushed out , but destroyed in the first round is just not acceptable . UNPREPARED

Obviously Georgetown losing Reilly (their FO) doesn't help - I'm not minimizing that - it looks bad for Georgetown to wipe us out and then for them to get drubbed by UVA. Fair comparison or not, it just looks terrible.

For me it means very little at this point. Yeah sure they blew out Cuse then got blown out by the team Cuse beat twice, it happens. Syracuse had enough things this season that looked terrible. Either way it's time to focus on 2022.

Thought Gtown was a very good team but legit for Cusenlax to raise the question of our preparation for them after seeing that dismantlement by a uva team that we know very well.
Rooted for fellow ACC squad but the disparity of outcomes has me smh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom