Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

Here’s my 2 cents. This is my conjecture piecing together tidbits I’ve heard and knowing human nature.

I think JB actually wanted Jimmy and Buddy to return and that was known internally. He simply didn’t want his sons legacy to be tarnished by a sub par season and wanted to give them a chance at redemption.

I don’t think Cole saw a benefit of returning in this circumstance and indicated he was leaving…and I that was fine with JB.

This was probably where we were up until JB leaked the idea of Jimmy applying for a waiver - which was about the time things really looked a losing season was possible, if not likely…and the natives were really getting restless.

Then, I honestly think Juli stepped in. Juli puts up a brave face, but I don’t think this season has been fun for her at all. Fans can be unbelievably mean and insensitive. I saw her plenty at road games…not so much at the dome. I don’t think she wanted any part of this happening again next year in what might have been growing public discontent. It’s not how any of them wanted this season to go, but I think she made the call. Remember, you always recruit mom….she’s the decision maker!

So now that it appears JB3 and Buddy are indeed gone, there is a mutual interest from Coach and Cole for him to return.

Cole can be more of a focus of the offense. And JB gets a piece of a puzzle so he can have a successful season next year that he desperately wants.

So that’s my take on how this has shifted.

Edit: just saw Mike Waters clarification….but I think what I said above holds true and that Swider is seriously considering a return.
She was at every game at the dome this year I was at(all but 2) sitting at mid court like usual mostly with Jamie next to her.

I think if Cole takes another step forward next year he will get serious consideration from the league, despite his age. Kid has great size and a great stroke. I think if he can show that he can handle the ball and become a better passer (kinda like Eli did but not to that level) that he’ll get a legit NBA chance.

If Cole leaves this year, he could definitely make money in Europe but the NBA seems like a stretch right now. He needs to prove he can be consistent and games like UNC/FSU aren’t random aberrations.

I think if he’s the focal point and has a natural PG and other threats around him, he could be a 18ppg guy

Last edited:
Eh, he’s being a dad. I get it. Try to look at it from his perspective.

All due respect, he’s paid millions to be objective. He got this year with them. We did poorly. Etc etc.

Also, if what you say is true, why can she see what’s up and JB can’t? They are both the kids’ parents?

This is past being a dad, imo.

Eh, he’s being a dad. I get it. Try to look at it from his perspective.
I get it too...but how about we look at it from Cole Swider's dad's perspective or Benny Williams' dad's perspective or any of the incoming recruits dad's perspective. You think that's fair to them?

I think JB actually wanted Jimmy and Buddy to return and that was known internally.
In early January, word was that JB was going to do everything in his "power" to get Jimmy an extra year. If/when that happened, JB wanted Buddy to come back too (depending on his draft status).

I'm guessing the petition was denied, as it seems clear that Jimmy and Buddy are moving on

In early January, word was that JB was going to do everything in his "power" to get Jimmy an extra year. If/when that happened, JB wanted Buddy to come back too (depending on his draft status).

I'm guessing the petition was denied, as it seems clear that Jimmy and Buddy are moving on
If you're referring to the Ivy League petition I don't think that's been ruled on yet - as Jake states, the "denial" likely came from within the Boeheim family

I doubt the NCAA has even looked at the petition yet. There are at least a dozen former Ivy League athletes who would be affected.

If the petition was either approved or denied, there would have been some word.

I wish Buddy was returning.

And I think some are missing some of that post.

“Fans can be unbelievably mean and insensitive.”

So can our coach in pressers. But he gets to keep his salary as guys walk out the door.

Yes, no one should be mean to the players. I get it. But we all live in the real world.

I would argue this is more hubris on JB’s part than anything else putting his own kids in a bad spot, but what do I know.

It’s his show.

PS - I really hope everyone here lays down on the tracks for those players that get heat from the fans and our own coach that aren’t his kids.

So can our coach in pressers. But he gets to keep his salary as guys walk out the door.

Yes, no one should be mean to the players. I get it. But we all live in the real world.

I would argue this is more hubris on JB’s part than anything else putting his own kids in a bad spot, but what do I know.

It’s his show.

PS - I really hope everyone here lays down on the tracks for those players that get heat from the fans and our own coach that aren’t his kids.

You can hate the way JB handles his pressers. You can get on JB. He gets paid a lot of money and is a big boy and coaches catch chit all the time. But if people are lashing out at Julie or Buddy or Jimmy, that’s garbage. Those people aren’t SU fans and are just aholes. When SU loses they probably kick their dog too.

It’s his show.

Yeah, JB’s press stuff is in line with the “fan” vitriol that is spewed. No mother should hear that stuff about her children, who are doing their best for their hometown team.

I doubt the NCAA has even looked at the petition yet. There are at least a dozen former Ivy League athletes who would be affected.

If the petition was either approved or denied, there would have been some word.
Yeah, I hear you OX (and pearl31). I'm sure the NCAA has not looked at it yet. Given what I was told in January, and now all the talk from JB and kids that this is the end, I wonder if JB was informed off the record about the likely outcome. That's just a wild guess though.

I’ll be honest. My take is the kid (cole) will be 23 next year. It’s time for him to move one. It’s getting a little crazy some of those kids / men are ending up at 23/24 and still acting like college kids
There are guys playing college hockey at 25 if they played juniors before going to college. Some Mormons are 24 or 25 in college after completing their post-high school missions. Rhino on our football team will be 30 this year and I love it!

You can hate the way JB handles his pressers. You can get on JB. He gets paid a lot of money and is a big boy and coaches catch chit all the time. But if people are lashing out at Julie or Buddy or Jimmy, that’s garbage. Those people aren’t SU fans and are just aholes. When SU loses they probably kick their dog too.

The PLAYERS aren’t paid a lot of money and JB fires at them, a lot of times unfairly, while barely, if ever, knocking his kids and never taking ownership himself.

Benny is out here in the media giving more mature responses than JB was in mid season.

The dude can’t help himself.

Of course those people who yell at Juli if she’s in the stands are terrible. They should be kicked out and if they are STHs, they should have tickets revoked. All for it. I’m fine if they knock those people around kicking them out. Whatever.

However, want to know where else that happens? Everywhere. People are awful everywhere.

If she wanted to put the kabash on it, all good. She’s their mom, it’s her right.

Here’s my other thought tho - she’s been a coach’s wife for a while. I’m sure she’s a very smart person. No doubt in my mind. I’m sure she’s also a truly good person, honestly. There is zero chance she didn’t know this was a risk up front. Ask the coach’s wife (or spouse) of even a little league team and they’ll tell you they know the deal.

Both of my best friends from growing up are college athletics coaches, you think their families aren’t keenly aware of the ride their on?

Please, find me the fan base that is sober and rational. This is JB’s team. This is JB’s program. This is JB’s world and he is the god of it. But we blame everyone but JB for anything for some people.

The PLAYERS aren’t paid a lot of money and JB fires at them, a lot of times unfairly, while barely, if ever, knocking his kids and never taking ownership himself.

Benny is out here in the media giving more mature responses than JB was in mid season.

The dude can’t help himself.

Of course those people who yell at Juli if she’s in the stands are terrible. They should be kicked out and if they are STHs, they should have tickets revoked. All for it. I’m fine if they knock those people around kicking them out. Whatever.

However, want to know where else that happens? Everywhere. People are awful everywhere.

If she wanted to put the kabash on it, all good. She’s their mom, it’s her right.

Here’s my other thought tho - she’s been a coach’s wife for a while. I’m sure she’s a very smart person. No doubt in my mind. I’m sure she’s also a truly good person, honestly. There is zero chance she didn’t know this was a risk up front. Ask the coach’s wife (or spouse) of even a little league team and they’ll tell you they know the deal.

Both of my best friends from growing up are college athletics coaches, you think their families aren’t keenly aware of the ride their on?

Please, find me the fan base that is sober and rational. This is JB’s team. This is JB’s program. This is JB’s world and he is the god of it. But we blame everyone but JB for anything for some people.

Wow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom