Players Returning Next Year | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

Sbucketball

All Conference
If we lost him this would have been the one we said "what if" about next year. Donnie has a higher ceiling and I have no doubt will get a good look at the NBA, but there's a solid chance Junior-year Maliq is more effective than Freshman-year Donnie, especially in the beginning of the season, so if he left and Donnie had a slow start, it would burn. This is not an indictment on Donnie because I'm very high on him. Just being realistic that we can't assume a freshman will dominate from the tip in November. Also Maliq covers 2 positions. Great news to start the week.

If we lost him this would have been the one we said "what if" about next year. Donnie has a higher ceiling and I have no doubt will get a good look at the NBA, but there's a solid chance Junior-year Maliq is more effective than Freshman-year Donnie, especially in the beginning of the season, so if he left and Donnie had a slow start, it would burn. This is not an indictment on Donnie because I'm very high on him. Just being realistic that we can't assume a freshman will dominate from the tip in November. Also Maliq covers 2 positions. Great news to start the week.
My guess would be we see both for 25-30 mpg. Not sure how that works exactly but if I had to bet I’d go with that. If Donnie is like a lot of frosh and he’s not quite ready for that big of a role early than maybe it doesn’t happen, but junior year Maliq will be very good. Donnie seems a little old school post-mid-range type so maybe they work some high-low action and maybe we see maliq expand his range some. Good problem to have basically.

Donnie and Maliq will likely move between the 4 and the 5 depending on the defensive assignments.

I’d love to see 20 each at PF for them both they split 15 mins at C and then you bring a big portal C in for 20-25 mins a game. Whoever returns for depth of McLeod, Patterson and Carey make up the remaining minutes at the 5 if any.

McLeod as a third center would be great if he's willing. They should drill him on zone defense and he could get minutes when in the zone.

If Maliq provides the same or even a little better production his junior year than his sophomore year and Donnie is outplaying him as a freshman. On paper, I think it’s safe to say we will be competing with Duke for a regular season conference title.

Maliq told Donna he's returning next year and might play more PF.

"Brown said he will return to Syracuse next season. Depending on how the Orange roster shakes out in the offseason, he could potentially play more power forward."

Sorry for commentary and not facts, but if Maliq, Q, and Bell come back, we've got a stellar upper class foundation.
JJ could do great in his second year at SU; hope Westry can get healthy.

Our freshman core, plus Patterson and a bigger Carey would do good for the front.

If Maliq provides the same or even a little better production his junior year than his sophomore year and Donnie is outplaying him as a freshman. On paper, I think it’s safe to say we will be competing with Duke for a regular season conference title.
Duke's talent next year is on a different level. There's still guys we want to keep who are going to leave, so let's see how things shake out. A high performing Donnie and returning Maliq is a good start.

10th straight year as offseason champions.
true, but should they rely only on touted freshman, Cooper will have to be Melo or the unibrow. I wonder if a team will use that formula again? NIL seems to provide the opportunity for the powers to buy proven rosters and avoid the unknowns of freshmen. That said, Duke is bringing in serious talent as usual, hoping we can stack up to compete with a seasoned roster.

The biggest nugget in that article is that Malik said he would be back at Cuse next season.

That is huge, had heard rumblings that might be tested.

Sounds like he’s committed to come back. Very good. Big piece of the puzzle for next season

true, but should they rely only on touted freshman, Cooper will have to be Melo or the unibrow. I wonder if a team will use that formula again? NIL seems to provide the opportunity for the powers to buy proven rosters and avoid the unknowns of freshmen. That said, Duke is bringing in serious talent as usual, hoping we can stack up to compete with a seasoned roster.
Exactly. They are going to have guys transfer out with the players they are bringing in. Not all of those guys can play together. Heck, Zion's team finished 3rd in the ACC and he, Barrett and Reddish were 1,2, and 3 in that years rankings. They'll lose 6-9 games.

I've been wondering why there hasn't been a bit of discussion about Freeman at the 3
Because most don't think of him as a 3 in the sense of how the Syracuse offense has operated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom