coleman | Syracusefan.com

coleman

81South

2017 Iggy Winner, Back to Back Iggy Winner
So DC gets the hook 50.seconds into the 2nd half...I feel so bad for the kid...he worked so hard and has.endured.so much...I don't understand why he didn't get back in the game...what am I missing?

So DC gets the hook 50.seconds into the 2nd half...I feel so bad for the kid...he worked so hard and has.endured.so much...I don't understand why he didn't get back in the game...what am I missing?
Jb was unhappy with his game tonight and wanted to win tonight. This isn't rocket science. Because you work hard doesn't mean you get to play. Plus, there are 27 more games for him to shine. It really is no big deal.

Coleman is slow footed on defense and hasn't added anything to his offensive game since high school.

He needs to develop a soft hook to give himself a scoring option when he gets bottled up under the basket.

DC2's defense has been very poor so far. The middle of the zone is a sieve when he's in. He seems 2 steps too slow. You have to root for him but his play on defense has not been good.

Could he be on a minutes count, or cap, similar to a pitch count in MLB? I dunno, but he is coming off of a long layoff after a serious injury, so he will require special handling. And JB has his early season closing 5, with DC being on the outside looking in. One lineup I saw tonight that I would like to see more of, but it needs alot of improvement is DC at the 5, the 2 Tyler's, G and Cooney. That is our biggest, strongest and best rebounding back line, but they did not click on O tonight, so that only lasted about 5 minutes in the first half. JB is not going to experiment much in a close game in the 2nd half, even against Elon.

So why does he start if he is so bad?

DC2's defense has been very poor so far. The middle of the zone is a sieve when he's in. He seems 2 steps too slow. You have to root for him but his play on defense has not been good.

I think there's some validity to that.

Love Coleman and the work ethic he's demonstrated, and hope he garners more minutes as the season rolls on. We need him.

But it is clear that JB has little confidence in him. That needs to change. DC is the only one who can change it.

So why does he start if he is so bad?
Jb almost always goes with the lineup that started the game. It''s just his way. Are you new to JB's ways? He did it for 3 years with Rak. He has done it with other guys over the years

The same thing he is - the ability to rebound and score close to the basket.

I think there's some validity to that.

Love Coleman and the work ethic he's demonstrated, and hope he garners more minutes as the season rolls on. We need him.

But it is clear that JB has little confidence in him. That needs to change. DC is the only one who can change it.

You're not 100% right

Coaches can instill confidence in players and JB needs to suck it up and play him more!
If Cooney (every game ) or should I say any game, if he was performing like the minutes he's given by coach ...we whould have enough of a cushion to do this

Malachi 1st game like this

I also disagree with the you on the ceiling on the team

Lets see how it unfolds in March

I believe it will take longer than anybody wants for DC to develops for this team but he has potential to help this team make a deep run in March if also Cooney plays as good as coach thinks he is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Coleman is slow footed on defense and hasn't added anything to his offensive game since high school.

He needs to develop a soft hook to give himself a scoring option when he gets bottled up under the basket.

He's not just slow covering ground but he's slow getting himself off the ground. Even if he has position (rarely), he has a hard time getting his hands on the rebound.

For any big guy with a few years under their belt, it's hard to understand how they haven't developed at least one go to move that probably won't get blocked. A 6 foot hook shot or a 8 foot fade away. Can one of those shots be so hard to perfect for a large individual with decent eye hand coordination?

You're not 100% right

Coaches can instill confidence and players in JB needs to suck it up and play him
If Cooney ( every game )
Or should I say any was performing like the minutes he's given by coach ...we whould have enough of a cushion to do this

Malachi 1st game like thisand I also disagree with the ceiling on the sce and I also disagree with the ceiling on this team that you have would say this post and see how it unfolds in March I believe it will take longer than anybody But, develops this team has potential to make a deep run Coney place as good as coach thinks he is
What language is this?

You're not 100% right

Coaches can instill confidence in players and JB needs to suck it up and play him more!
If Cooney (every game ) or should I say any game, if he was performing like the minutes he's given by coach ...we whould have enough of a cushion to do this

Malachi 1st game like this

I also disagree with the you on the ceiling on the team

Lets see how it unfolds in March

I believe it will take longer than anybody wants for DC to develops for this team but he has potential to help this team make a deep run in March if also Cooney plays as good as coach thinks he is!
20plus, I think my track record demonstrates that nobody is a more optimistic fan / poster than I am when it comes to the hoops program. I just think this team is more GENERALLY limited in terms of upside, certainly when compared to the great teams we had in 2010 / 2013.

That doesn't mean they can't / won't develop, or that they can't get to the NCAA tournament, or be a top 20 team. But they're struggling in preseason games -- which is either a sign that they have a lot of potential for improvement, or that they might be somewhat limited. There's upside if they can round into form. I just don't see it as huge upside [hope I'm wrong].

I'm typically critical this team when they're at their best and optimistic when they're at their worst but I'm really high on this team

i'm typically critical on great teams.

optimistic when they're at their worst but I'm really high and on this team ms so who knows but this team when they're at their best has tools

If Coleman is a factor Cooney shoots a little better and Malachi continues to grow !
Mike is so solid and are D will be fine Plus we have a lot to look forward to with Tyler and Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, at this point I'm starting to think Dajuan will go down as the most disappointing recruit (on the court) since I started following SU bball ( ~00)

This is OBVIOUSLY due to a variety of reasons, several of which were outside of his control. However his overall basketball ability seemed to be less than advertised even prior to the injuries (he has amazingly weak hands for a guy with his size and has an infuriating inability to finish around the rim/lack of touch. Court awareness is also a huge question mark, imo).

I obviously hope he improves dramatically, but I've stopped expecting that he will.

He seems like a good kid and is a hard worker and I hope nothing but the best for him (should be obvious but I feel like you have to state that explicitly for some reason )

Last edited:
He made no effort to get a loose ball.

Unfortunately, at this point I'm starting to think Dajuan will go down as the most disappointing recruit (on the court) since I started following SU bball ( ~00)

This is OBVIOUSLY due to a variety of reasons, several of which were outside of his control. However his overall basketball ability seemed to be less than advertised even prior to the injuries (he has amazingly weak hands for a guy with his size and has an infuriating inability to finish around the rim/lack of touch. Court awareness is also a huge question mark, imo).

I obviously hope he improves dramatically, but I've stopped expecting that he will.

He seems like a good kid and is a hard worker and I hope nothing but the best for him (should be obvious but I feel like you have to state that explicitly for some reason )
I made this exact post two years ago. Rooting for the kid, but we cannot count on him going forward. He's our Delvon Roe unfortunately.

In general I cringe when us amateurs arm-chair quarterback JAB. That said, I think that season where we had 20 wins and didn't make the big dance informs his intense desire to win every game at the expense of developing his team for the league and tourney. Love Lydon, but we're going nowhere with him at the 5.

DC has a role on the team, it just may not translate into a lot of playing time. He was fine at the end of the Bonnie's game when Roberson was out and he didn't hurt us. Anything more is a bonus. Also I don't under estimate the role he plays in practice in helping push other players.

Like everybody else, I certainly root for DC. I didn't see the game last night, but looking at the box score I see 10 minutes, 1-1 FG and "no" rebounds. There were some good signs in the previous games. Yes, he has a role on this team and we'll just have to see what that is and how he develops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom