College Player Free Agency? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

College Player Free Agency?

To be honest, I'm not particularly passionate about this. I just think the argument for limiting transfers is a bit disingenuous. Mostly we just don't want good players leaving it favorite team. Just like we want the 1-and-done rule used to 2-or-3-and-done mostly so kids like Mali can't leave us.

I fully acknowledge that hypocrisy. But that doesn't mean that the pendulum needs to swing fully the other way until things spiral into chaos.

But like you, I'm not uber-passionate about this topic, and not trying to be argumentative.

Only way I see this not being a complete disaster is if they can transfer only once. I guess like having one redshirt year. Then they can do the graduate transfer thing, like a medical redshirt. Like Gillon's route just not having to sit a year after his first transfer. Still sounds ridiculous. Players starting at George Washington, moving on to a school like Providence then finishing their career at UNC. Possibly even throwing another school in their too, crazy. Like a college recruitment that never ends. People think one-and-done doesn't allow continuity, growing teams, and actually knowing the roster of conference foes then this would be thrilling. Might as well allow trades, have waivers and impliment an imaginary salary cap like a video game.

Question... Why is there not transfer chaos in all of the sports where there is no 1-year rule like in football and hoops?

For example, why don't we see mass transfers in lacrosse of emerging players from lower tier schools to places like SU and UNC? Same for baseball, hockey, etc.

What is unique about football and hoops that causes some to assume that a worst case scenario will play out?

Question... Why is there not transfer chaos in all of the sports where there is no 1-year rule like in football and hoops?

For example, why don't we see mass transfers in lacrosse of emerging players from lower tier schools to places like SU and UNC? Same for baseball, hockey, etc.

What is unique about football and hoops that causes some to assume that a worst case scenario will play out?

There is a sit-out requirement for baseball and men's hockey, along with men's & women's basketball and football.

As for lacrosse, I suppose the simple answer is because no one cares. There is no viable professional career and no real revenue at the collegiate level to protect.

Revenue generating sports.

Yep, true.

Revenue that the "student athlete" sees none of. ;)

...which is an entirely separate issue, and one that doesn't necessarily seem relevant to this discussion.

The one year sit out rule is akin to a one year non-compete clause. College basketball and football players should not have a non-compete clause. If coaches can move freely then players should as well.
College coaches contracts can be gottevn out of easily moving from one team to another thus players should have the same rights. It might suck for lower teams to be feeder for higher teams but that is how it works now.

The NCAA doesn't want Akron vs. Western Kentucky in the Final Four. They want Ohio State vs. Kentucky.
So if players sit-out-a-year is like a non-compete clause, then why don't coaches have the same clause? Collegs can fire a coach and expect that the players accept the new coach. Coaches leave for greener pastures even after telling players that their current job is their dream job and they won't leave. The only ones who can't do what they want are the players. How fair is that?
To perhaps prevent anarchy or mass exodus, guidelines could be put in place. Coaches leave/get fired, players can too (except to coaches new school!) If coaches contract is up, then players can't leave. Players don't get playing time, allow them to leave.

Last edited:
SBU72 said:
So if players sit-out-a-year is like a non-compete clause, then why don't coaches have the same clause? Collegs can fire a coach and expect that the players accept the new coach. Coaches leave for greener pastures even after telling players that their current job is their dream job and they won't leave. The only ones who can't do what they want are the players. How fair is that? To perhaps prevent anarchy or mass exodus, guidelines could be put in place. Coaches leave/get fired, players can too (except to coaches new school!) If coaches contract is up, then players can't leave. Players don't get playing time, allow them to leave.

It's only common sense and fairness that is players should be allowed unfettered ability to transfer if their head coach leaves. Of course this is when people make the claim that kids are committing to schools, not coaches. But we all know that's BS.

Yep, true.

Revenue that the "student athlete" sees none of. ;)
Your WLax team did. It paid their meal money in Philly/Chester. Our tennis team did. It paid their airfare to Tulsa. We're hoping it pays the hotel bill for our baseball team in Omaha. Do I need to go on?

Hoo's That said:
Your WLax team did. It paid their meal money in Philly/Chester. Our tennis team did. It paid their airfare to Tulsa. We're hoping it pays the hotel bill for our baseball team in Omaha. Do I need to go on?

I was in Marching Band and we got per diems and free travel.

I like the idea of playing for pay, but in regards to this I think it just changes the dynamic far far far too much.

It seems like people in Syracuse and other major college basketball towns are just fed up and actually sound like they have a dislike for college basketball. If that's the case, why not support minor league basketball like an ABA team or a NBDL team?

I like the idea of playing for pay, but in regards to this I think it just changes the dynamic far far far too much.

It seems like people in Syracuse and other major college basketball towns are just fed up and actually sound like they have a dislike for college basketball. If that's the case, why not support minor league basketball like an ABA team or a NBDL team?

Its just too hard because of title nine.

Players in non-revenue sports like lacrosse can transfer without sitting out year. The whole point of the 1 year wait is to prevent max exodus.

However, because college basketball and football makes no much money the NCAA wants even more control over its cattle. College players in basketball and football produce so much revenue for universities and conferences that they should be able to have as much leverage as they can.

Any time a coach leaves a school all of those scholarship kids on that team should be able to transfer without sitting out.

The tampering would be insane! Can you imagine Kentucky having to reload after a poor recruiting year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom