conference tournaments really are meaningless | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

conference tournaments really are meaningless

Not meaningless at all - Look at UConn's last 2 titles -- they got hot in their conence tourney and kept it going. Ville in 2013 did it -- hell look at ND last year, won the ACC and took UK down to the wire in the Elite 8.

We've also seen teams throw up clunkers in their tourneys and be bounced after their first game in the NCAAs.

A team like Seton Hall spent so much emotion and energy in the Garden last week that they were just done. Last week was their pinnacle, and that's fine -- winning the BET in the Garden is huge for that program. A team like Gonzaga, who was excited to get in, but they knew they had more work to do -- I feel like Hall thought anything after the BET was gravy and just icing on the cake.

Yep, you get it. I know many on this board remember and are very proud of the BET's we won. I could not care less and couldn't tell you of a single one we won (except for the first we won in triple OT against Nova and didn't even get an auto bid for it). Other than that...completely meaningless to me.

I'm not sure if you ever had the opportunity to experience NYC and the BET during any of our titles. If you hadn't, I can tell you that if you had, your view of it likely would be completely different, and...meaningful. I realize that winning in the NCAA's trumps conference tourney feats, especially for a program like SU's. However, that buzz and excitement at MSG and vicinity and experiencing those moments were permanently ingraining.

At the end of the day the argument about the relevance of the conference tournament title is somewhat moot I suppose. A) We all will agree Syracuse winning the national championship is the most important thing and B) We're all rooting for Syracuse to win no matter the type of game.

Ivy league presidents are smarter than me so I suppose getting your tourney's title game on ESPN gets more money than the potential tourney credits from guaranteeing your best team is in there to win a game or two. It will only be a 4 team tourney, so at worst their 4th place team goes dancing. Still think they were better off being the only league without a conference tourney.

kirbivore said:
Ivy league presidents are smarter than me so I suppose getting your tourney's title game on ESPN gets more money than the potential tourney credits from guaranteeing your best team is in there to win a game or two. It will only be a 4 team tourney, so at worst their 4th place team goes dancing. Still think they were better off being the only league without a conference tourney.

I love the conference tournaments but I always did like how the Ivy League was the one league with out one (as well as the Big 10 Up until like '97). But $$$ trumps tradition. See Syracuse to the ACC. It is what it is I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom