Confirmed- Dino returning next season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Confirmed- Dino returning next season

Don’t get this take of not counting the COVID year….

University of Buffalo seemed to not have an issue going 6-1 with the same restrictions etc that Syracuse faced.

I get they are not a P-5 school but the reason that people credit is due to the NYS restrictions that were different. If that was the case, the same results should have happened for Buffalo too. Instead Leipold used it to further cement how good of a coach he is.

They were playing schools in Michigan and Ohio that treated it similar to NY.

SC, FL, GA...

Live to coach another year, next year just as big as this one. Another bowl game and I think we are likely to see Dino for another 3-4 years. Like it or not.

IMO, Dino will never be fired at Syracuse if he continues to make bowl games. 6-6 is the minimum expectation and I think Wildhack has made that pretty clear.

I have no idea what next season will bring but I know what Dino's future at Syracuse will be evaluated on moving forward, and so do 99% of the posters here whether they want to admit it or not. It won't be game management, clock management, 3 star versus 4 stars. 6 wins or bust nothing else much matters this far in as long as there are no serious hiccups off the field. Dino does a lot of good too and reps the University well

The warts are great internet banter but don't matter much if he keeps going to bowl games

Last edited:
Kicking the can by saying the coach will be back for one year doesn’t help recruiting pitches. But, I understand why the University says it, because they’re not ready to commit beyond that.

I honestly would not be sure if I’d even make the statement given the circumstances with the existing contract and unclear future beyond next season. Just continue with Dino as coach, like everyone here knew we basically had to regardless and keep it moving.

If I’m a coach at a rival school and Syracuse is up for the same recruit, I’m pointing to that.

The key is Shrader AND developing a true QB1A. Have to expect the backup will be needed to win a couple games. Retain the QB room and give Lamson and CDRW heavy reps so we can get to 8 or 9 wins.

You could say the same thing, our opponent fan boards do, about some of our wins. We finished where we should have.

It’s also weird pretending we only had 1 bad game. The stats don’t support that at all and the outcome of the games don’t either.
its one thing to say its luck to win a close game at the end.. its another to lead most if the game and have the better of play for long stretches and still have it be a close game at the end and win/lose.

The ending of Purdue was close and could have gone either way.. But we also had a 10pt lead with 8 min to go

We had a 10+ pt lead in the 2nd half of the first 7 games. Not alot of those type leads get blown in reality so going 6-1 is not really luck its pretty normal.

maybe I should go look thru my database and see how many times we had 10+ leads after the half and lost the game.. There have been some for sure.

I mean look at Clemson that hadnt lost a game leading at the half in almost 70 games at home until the SC game.

bad game by definition what is it?

If you have the ball within a single score late you have a game you can win. Im not talking bad in the stats because you have to relate that to what the other team is doing as well. when the stats are 400-200 and you are in it thats a fluke. We tend to lose those more often that win them.

Kicking the can by saying the coach will be back for one year doesn’t help recruiting pitches. But, I understand why the University says it, because they’re not ready to commit beyond that.

I honestly would not be sure if I’d even make the statement given the circumstances with the existing contract and unclear future beyond next season. Just continue with Dino as coach, like everyone here knew we basically had to regardless and keep it moving.

If I’m a coach at a rival school and Syracuse is up for the same recruit, I’m pointing to that.

For sure but with the portal does it really matter much anymore? and there isn't much Syracuse can do about it at this point anyway. Things are so fluid now on a yearly basis

Great take. Dino cant win unless he has excellent coordinators.
He isnt a game coach. The only time he was ever a coordinator he was relieved of his duties before mid season.

It certainly would be great to keep White, Anae, and Beck but if we can't Dino still needs 6 wins next year. I think he will keep 2 of 3.

He hit the minimum level of expectations this year, so it'd be silly to dump him. I think he's a mediocre coach at best, maybe worse honestly, but ultimately it's all about Ws.

I think his future is determined in the next season. Baseline next year is a bowl, ideally equalling 7 wins again. That gets him an extension with a manageable buyout. An 8+ win season buys him more security. No bowl and he's gotta go.

I'm already concerned with this year's class-A few guys I really like (Sellers, Daniels, Perry, ZMG) and not much else.

I don’t hold 2016, 2017 or 2020 records against Dino. I hold 2019 against him a LOT, that was a crucial season and we blew it from an on field and recruiting standpoint. 2021 I am kinda lukewarm and certainly happy with 2018 and this year. What I consistently hold against him is 7 years of being highly penalized and 7 years of some really terrible game management. That needs to change but I have little faith in that happening because it’s so consistent. I am fine with him coming back next year assuming the staff stays intact(Anae, Beck and TW are crucial) because I think the staff as a whole is quite solid

I don’t hold 2016, 2017 or 2020 records against Dino. I hold 2019 against him a LOT, that was a crucial season and we blew it from an on field and recruiting standpoint. 2021 I am kinda lukewarm and certainly happy with 2018 and this year. What I consistently hold against him is 7 years of being highly penalized and 7 years of some really terrible game management. That needs to change but I have little faith in that happening because it’s so consistent. I am fine with him coming back next year assuming the staff stays intact(Anae, Beck and TW are crucial) because I think the staff as a whole is quite solid

It's all on him, all of it for sure but regardless of recruiting and staff coming and going the expectations for next year DON'T CHANGE at all. That's the job, there is no more time or excuses

I have been critical of DB and said I wouldn’t renew, but after further reflection I’ll also be back haha. I don’t think he is a great coach, but if he can instill some discipline into the team, improve recruiting to include top 50 classes/or crush transfer marker and be better at game management, then I’ll live with a 7-5 season and a bowl game. I mean what is the alternative?
That is a lot of “ifs” Vooh. Even if he improves on some of the things you mentioned we are bound to have a better team and Dino a better future as a coach. I think most of us scratch our heads with some of his game time decisions, but he is a likable guy and admired by his players.

He hit the minimum level of expectations this year, so it'd be silly to dump him. I think he's a mediocre coach at best, maybe worse honestly, but ultimately it's all about Ws.

I think his future is determined in the next season. Baseline next year is a bowl, ideally equalling 7 wins again. That gets him an extension with a manageable buyout. An 8+ win season buys him more security. No bowl and he's gotta go.

Yep. No excuses next year. He has a lot coming back, there are opportunities for transfers, so they have to sell it. Easier schedule. 5-7 doesn't cut it. 6-6 probably shouldn't either, but I guess depends on how the season unfolds to get there.

I'm already concerned with this year's class-A few guys I really like (Sellers, Daniels, Perry, ZMG) and not much else.

10 kid class right now. Hard to get a read on Jalil Smith or Cohoon. Cohoon though really tore up his league and they played in the Kansas 5A State Championship game. 6’2” 175, WR (34 receptions, 726 yards and 7 touchdowns)

Get a look at this bracket. For the State Tournament, NYS state has 8 teams that play in each state class. Kansas 5A had 32 alone.

KANSAS

New York

Yep. No excuses next year. He has a lot coming back, there are opportunities for transfers, so they have to sell it. Easier schedule. 5-7 doesn't cut it. 6-6 probably shouldn't either, but I guess depends on how the season unfolds to get there.
Agreed. I used the word "minimum" to describe this year because that's really what he accomplished. He had the chance to exceed expectations and didn't. Granted, there were mitigating factors, but the bottom line is that he did just enough to keep his job.

Dino's gotta at least equal it next season. If we backslide a single game he's gotta be gone, IMHO.

After the past decade of SU football I've become convinced that a competent coach (meaning, not Robinson) can win 6 or 7 games at SU and make low tier bowls. Three HCs have done that, and I'd think it's fair to say that only one of them can be classified as unequivocally "good".

If Dino can't get us 8+ wins in the next couple years then I'd have zero issue with moving on. Because I feel comfortable knowing that a non-disaster hire can get us 6 more often than not. Might as well take a shot for something better.

He is a losing head coach, you can’t fire him now and any year he makes a bowl game basically he has to be safe, but in 2024 when we have a 12 team playoff and bowls look even more average who knows how short coaches ropes are especially in power 5 with increase revenue.
you will have 20-30 schools that will think not making the 12 team playoff is grounds for firing the HC, and the next 50 schools that think not making the leftover bowls is grounds for firing the HC.

a bowl season is 6-6 right? That gets an extension? We are accepting mediocrity.

Bowl games are the expectations, not my words. I don't think given the past 20 years that 6-6 gets Dino fired at Syracuse but that's just me, it could possibly but I would bet it does not.

you will have 20-30 schools that will think not making the 12 team playoff is grounds for firing the HC, and the next 50 schools that think not making the leftover bowls is grounds for firing the HC.
fair, and if you do not do either and in the power 5 you should be fired the day after the season ends. Unless its year 1 or 2 of that coaches stay at that school.

I guess my question is what are people expecting in Syracuse? As I look at the landscape of college football I see NO northeast power house team. I always viewed Penn State as the best the NE has but even they don't stand out like they used too. Don't matter what coach you bring in, things are not the same as they were in the 80s and 90s. The south has seized football for itself. So if you can get 6-8 wins and occasionally get a 10 win season enjoy it! Ask yourself with the current projectory which NE team can you see in the playoffs? Maybe when they expand it, but even that is a stretch. I am fine with what Dino has done. Can he get better? Definitely the penalties are ridiculous. However, we have ran through coach after coach and the recruiting and other issues have persisted. Northeast football is just not that good right now and we and all the other teams in the northeast reflect it.

Statistical outlier because of how different the environment was for all programs. Everyone has an asterisk against 2020.

Jimbo Fisher was a hero after their Covid year. I bet A&M would love to take those results away.

Bowl games are the expectations, not my words. I don't think given the past 20 years that 6-6 gets Dino fired at Syracuse but that's just me, it could possibly but I would bet it does not.
I would agree with you.

Agree, the goal posts have been moved, If we were to get a bowl bid next season it would be the first back to back bowl trips since Coach P. 4 years of Grob really changed the landscape.

I have been critical of DB and said I wouldn’t renew, but after further reflection I’ll also be back haha. I don’t think he is a great coach, but if he can instill some discipline into the team, improve recruiting to include top 50 classes/or crush transfer marker and be better at game management, then I’ll live with a 7-5 season and a bowl game. I mean what is the alternative?
so, you are basically asking a 61 year old coach to reinvent himself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom