Congrats OGBJ20 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Congrats OGBJ20

Fair enough and I can see why you responded the way you did. But the point of my post is that some folks did start touting BJ as a bust and that he needs to transfer, that he's not DI/SU worthy. That perspective was given without having seen BJ have an opportunity to get comfortable and play his game.

I don't want props. I'm low key, I'm a soldier that plays for the team. What I do wish there was more of was some encouragement for our very young and inexperienced players to show their stuff before pronouncing them a bust.

I understand. I totally agree.

Hey Tee, I told BJ that I scored 20 and 4 reb against ND at there place so he was out to outdo me. We lost by 2 and he he scored 19/6 and won and damn near gave me a heart attack so I'll take it.!!! PS tell the naysayers to take a flying leap of the Empire State Building with no landing gear!!!

Into a wet sponge. :eek::confused:

Hey Tee, I told BJ that I scored 20 and 4 reb against ND at there place so he was out to outdo me. We lost by 2 and he he scored 19/6 and won and damn near gave me a heart attack so I'll take it.!!! PS tell the naysayers to take a flying leap of the Empire State Building with no landing gear!!!

Proud moment. Soak it in. Amazing how comfortable he looks now that he doesn't have to be terrified of being pulled after one bad play. Imagine what he would look like right now if Jimmy knew how to develop a bench and gave him some consistent minutes this season!

Fair enough and I can see why you responded the way you did. But the point of my post is that some folks did start touting BJ as a bust and that he needs to transfer, that he's not DI/SU worthy. That perspective was given without having seen BJ have an opportunity to get comfortable and play his game.

I don't want props. I'm low key, I'm a soldier that plays for the team. What I do wish there was more of was some encouragement for our very young and inexperienced players to show their stuff before pronouncing them a bust.

EDIT: One more thing I wanted to add. At the end of the day, I want to be in a crowd of fans that cheers the young players who have pledged to represent SU and stick with the program. JB isn't the easiest coach to play for but he is transparent and those players who stick with it often get rewarded at the end. I might be more rosy-eyed than negative nancy, but I chose to cheer those that dedicate their young careers representing my program.

+1000

We saw the D1 thing with Cooney, who later came on the lead the ACC in 3 point shooting. When these players are healthy and in the right mental state and things start "clicking" for them and they operate as a unit, they have the capability of beating most teams in the NCAA and have proven it recently. I've already made a post similar to Tee's tonight, as well a few in the past praising OGBJ20 for raising a good son and gracing us with his presence here(and even took some heat from it). I wish I had a memory like DNabb and could pull out my post from a few weeks ago which said I expected good things from BJ before this season was over. I know personal faith is important, but I also believe from personal experience that the faith of others(or lack thereof) can possibly impact folks in any area of life.

OGBJ20, please realize that some folks here consider themselves "superfans", and most of us nitpick about the smallest details. I remember watching the 2nd half of a game when people were calling Michael Gbenije a "cancer" to try to see if I observed any different attitude in him from any of the other players, and I didn't. I know it's easier to say "take no offfense to what you see here" than to actually do so, but I have a feeling you will sooner rather than later start to see fans jumping on the BJ bandwagon. I don't know if you ever discuss what fans say with your son(and I won't ask), but if you do, feel free to tell him there are a lot of die hard SU fans that are falling in love with his game and work ethic. Early this season I predicted his senior season could be similar(or better?) than CJ Fair's, if BJ was given the proper opportunities. Coach Boeheim is loyal to guys who have put in work and proven their worth, so I expect BJ to see increasing playing time if he keeps playing well, regardless of what future recruiting classes look like. Maybe some board experts can back me up on that?

Into a wet sponge. :eek::confused:

That might defeat the purpose, but I appreciate you trying to mitigate things. :)

To be honest, I admire and respect the reserve OG has shown this season on here. Heaven knows what others in his shoes might have said instead! ;)

And back to ORANGEsPHK, I also respect the fans who at least didn't give up and the young man as quickly as can happen on any type of sports message board. Maybe we dont deserve a huge pat on the back, but the feeling of watching BJ do well will suffice for me. (of course I wouldnt turn down a small pat on the back, or any show of friendliness. It can feel a bit cold in Syracuse at times). ;)

+1000

OGBJ20, please realize that some folks here consider themselves "superfans", and most of us nitpick about the smallest details.

Cap, this is not against you, but how can anyone consider themselves a "superfan" when they regularly write posts tearing down players and coaches for some imperfection or blemish that they perceive? I think some posters on here tend to be hyper critical and forget there are human beings behind the names of the people they are criticizing. I don't think that makes them a superfan, so much as someone who is "too" emotionally absorbed by their fandom to realize how badly they sound to rational fans.

OBGJ20, I was proud of you last night, to watch a young man who you raised come out with his head held high and play the game he knows he can play and in my eyes win the game for us, off the bench, its called heart and he has boat loads, he learned this, not born with it, great job OBJ20, the world needs more dads like you in it, it would be a better place

Has he made one that wasn't all net? I looove the way that net pops when he hits threes! Sweet!

My son and I ran around the room screaming on that play! A whole season of frustration let out on a BJ breakaway! We knew we won at that point.

BJ was C.L.U.T.C.H.
Serious, man. That dunk was an explosion! And he had his mind set already. Amazing play.

Great post.

BJ was terrific last night. Great to see him playing up to his considerable potential. Hope he finishes the rest of the season just as strongly.

Absolute congrats. It has had to be a difficult season. I posted way early in the season that BJ could one day be SU's leading scorer, and I didn't mean for just one game. Sure he made some early mistakes but since he was always yanked right back out he didn't get to play through it and "get a feel" for the game. And then there were the times when he'd come in and take an early 3, and get yanked right back out. the problem there imo is that the wing 3 Is his shot. He knew it. He was open. He took it. He was never given a chance for a 2nd shot if he missed his first. I know he left some guys open in the zone rotations, but so did everyone else (except maybe Rak). If he keeps this up the last coupel games and works hard this summer BJ will definitely be in the discussion for a starting spot next year. And let's be reminded of one very important thing. BJ is only 15 days older than Malachi. Can you imagine what he would have been ranked had he played in high school the past 2 years?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom