Consistently Call Hand-Checking | Syracusefan.com

Consistently Call Hand-Checking

mantonio

Starter
Here is a good excerpt from an article on rules change ideas:
Hand-checking isn't defense. Or maybe I should say that hand-checking should not be tolerated and refs should take action on it by blowing their whistles. Finding a dribbler with momentary contact is one thing. Grabbing a dribbler or pushing a player with a hand or forearm simply has to be stopped.
Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer described the practices of two top collegiate programs:
Take Louisville and Marquette, for example. Those teams advanced deep into the NCAA tournament because their coaches are smart enough to test the limits of what the rules allow: Poke, clutch and hip-check the man you’re guarding to disrupt offensive flow.
Louisville coach Rick Pitino used to call this his “Mother-in-Law Defense,” as in constant pressure and harassment. Not politically correct, but a great description of the intent.
ead more here:http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/30/2790981/rick-bonnell-nbas-hand-check-rule.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy
Just before this year’s March Madness began, CBS Sports Network college basketball analyst Wally Szczerbiak remarked
If I was a player I would want to play in a system where I was able to play basketball not football or rugby like some of the Big East and Big 10 schools do.
Does limiting the tactics that on-ball defenders have at their disposal create bigger challenges for defenses? Absolutely.
But until hand-checking is reduced in college basketball, be ready for more lower-scoring "basketbrawl" matches to break out next season.

DOUG BRODESS
(FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON APRIL 18, 2013

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ball-must-implement-before-2014-season/page/4

Amen! You should never be allowed to deter the movement of the offensive player with your limbs and appendegas even if you are in legal gaurding position.

Here is a good excerpt from an article on rules change ideas:

DOUG BRODESS
(FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON APRIL 18, 2013

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ball-must-implement-before-2014-season/page/4
I agree with this. Schools like Pitt, UL, Butler and Marquette, aided and abetted by a large group of incompetent refs, are ruining a beautiful game.

I don't think any rule changes are needed. Hand checking is illegal. We just need refs who can read a rule book and enforce the rules accordingly. John Cahill, are you listening?

I agree with this. Schools like Pitt, UL, Butler and Marquette, aided and abetted by a large group of incompetent refs, are ruining a beautiful game.

I don't think any rule changes are needed. Hand checking is illegal. We just need refs who can read a rule book and enforce the rules accordingly. John Cahill, are you listening?

Spot on. And it is interesting to see a few of the programs that are singled out for employing this style.

I can think of a few prominent others.

Add defensive players sliding into offensive players. So tired of seeing it while someone like Keita would get whisteled sliding away from the offensive driver.