Conspiracy theory of the day, overheard at the boozer before the game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Conspiracy theory of the day, overheard at the boozer before the game

This just in, the Syracuse Orange will now be known as the Syracuse Grapes after JB had a conversation with a Clemson fan.

Phew I thought this was going to be one of those deshaun punched otto, devo beat up a girl, Scoop's scheming uncle, MCWs skipping classes conspiracies.

This one is much more manageable.

What does Clemson think about Virginia and Miami?
Okay, here's the story on orange as a color in the southeast (excluding Tenn.).

After its first season of football in 1888, UVa students at a pep rally decided to change their colors from silver gray and cardinal red (for the blood on the Confederate soldiers uniforms when they came home from The War) to the navy blue and orange of the scarf that a student got at a rowing regatta at Oxford because the red dye ran in the red clay mud. In a DVD about the history of UVa football, they show a piece of the original scarf that's in the collection of the Virginia Historical Society in Richmond. We've worn navy blue and orange since then.

One of our alumni who played for the 1889 team became the first football coach at Auburn, so they adopted the navy blue and orange as well (even though they decided to adopt the tiger as their mascot). One of his Auburn players became the first coach at Clemson. They decided to adopt the tiger as their mascot. That Auburn alum's blue and orange gear had faded a bit from the sun, so the blue looked purple, so Clemson took purple and orange as their colors.

A Gainesville, Florida, store owner was interested in selling pennants, knickknacks, etc. for the UFlorida Gators. He was visiting Charlottesville and saw a bunch of UVa items in a store that were exactly what he thought he wanted to sell. So, he bought them and had them reproduced in a factory and told them it was OK to make them blue and orange, so UF adopted blue and orange that way. Nowadays, they use a lighter blue on their unis than the navy blue used up to the 60s.

Somewhere along the line VPI adopted maroon and orange as their colors, mostly using the maroon.

So, WE gave the southeast some color based on blue coupled with orange as school colors. Clemson uses orange a lot, but doesn't own it. If anyone does down this way, we do.

When Clemson comes in to the Dome, will they wear their orange road uniforms?
And the Orange will be wearing white?
So when the fans chant "Let's go Orange" they'll actually be chanting FOR the team in white and AGAINST the team wearing orange?

This kind of thing never happened before we got mixed up with these southern schools.

So when the fans chant "Let's go Orange" they'll actually be chanting FOR the team in white and AGAINST the team wearing orange?

This kind of thing never happened before we got mixed up with these southern schools.

No problem, we'll wear the Platinum home jersey's that day. They say CUSE on the front not ORANGE.

(ducking from rotten vegetables about to be hurled my way)

Dude was convinced about it. His buddies were enthralled with the idea that SU is getting the shaft and going right along with it. I was thinking that April Fools came early this year

Any publicity is good publicity.

Doesn't Clemson yell "let's go tigers". I think but I am not sure.

Maybe dasher was right when he said we have one of the dumbest fan bases in the country...

I am not sure I agree with this. Stupidity knows no bounds. We were hear a lot more about other fan bases doing stupid stuff if they were actually smart enough to detect it!

Clemson owns the color orange because they've been a member of the ACC longer than us. They don't like that SU's orange is similar in color/hue so we've been told to change it. It's already started with the color of the orange on the basketball court and also that's why the football team has been wearing blue uni's.

Yup, that's the thinking out there folks. It's been my pleasure to pass it along :eek:
If true, me thinks the response should go something like this: "Uh..not only no, but ^&*+ NO! Kind of like the TV deal. Totally outrageous crapola, but hey what can you do?

Last edited:
No but this is...

Those were the freaking type kids that always beat me out. That is funny! Wonder if they ever verified his birth certificate?

Clemson is wearing their purple unis today vs. F$U (on The Deuce).

Have you ever seen the top Clemson Alumni? His name is Clem Kadiddlehopper.
Clemson Coach.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom