Cool SI article about Pookie Wigginton [with a Sherman Douglas tie] | Syracusefan.com

Cool SI article about Pookie Wigginton [with a Sherman Douglas tie]

RF2044

Living Legend
For those who might not recall, Pookie was a 5-3 point guard who played for the Seton Hall pirates in the late 80s / early 90s. When he would get into the game, Sherman Douglas--all 6 feet of him--would go down into the post to try to take advantage of him.

In any event, caught sight of this article on the SI site. Sounds like he's made quite a name for himself in business. And of course, this picture was in the article:

WIRE000050374final.JPG

Even 6-foot Sherman Douglas of Syracuse (left) towered over Wigington.

Cool read, for those who might remember this diminutive battler.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/09/24/pookey-wigington-comedy-kevin-hart-pro-file

Remember Ramon Ramos and Seton Halls' run to the National Championship game? It's been 25 years. I've always tried to stay up to date with Ramon Ramos after his horrific injury. I wonder what will happen t him after his parents pass away. Very good article and update on many of those involved in that Seton Hall-Michigan game which a bad call kept the Pirates from having a national championship.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/04/03/1989-final-four-rumeal-robinson-ramon-ramos

Pookey Wigington! One of my all-time favorite Big East players.

Although he was only 5'3" he could play, the 1.7 scoring average mentioned in the article is very deceptive - he was way better than that. If he didn't have knee problems he would've had a much better career at Seton Hall and they would've beat Michigan in the title game.

loved that dude.
he was the antecedent to another tough little dude who was very annoying to play against...John Linehan

Remember Ramon Ramos and Seton Halls' run to the National Championship game? It's been 25 years. I've always tried to stay up to date with Ramon Ramos after his horrific injury. I wonder what will happen t him after his parents pass away. Very good article and update on many of those involved in that Seton Hall-Michigan game which a bad call kept the Pirates from having a national championship.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/04/03/1989-final-four-rumeal-robinson-ramon-ramos
I rooted for Seton Hall in that final, and I thought they were jobbed.

Later, after I found out that Andrew Gaze did not earn a single credit while a "student" as Seton Hall, I was glad the Pirates didn't win.

I rooted for Seton Hall in that final, and I thought they were jobbed.

Later, after I found out that Andrew Gaze did not earn a single credit while a "student" as Seton Hall, I was glad the Pirates didn't win.

I never knew that about Andrew Gaze.

I never knew that about Andrew Gaze.
Details:

1988 was an Olympic year, and Gaze was on the Australian squad. The Games were in Seoul that year, and they were contested in the Fall rather than the Summer (don't remember why). USA was using college players still (for the last time?), so the NCAA gave a waiver to anyone who was playing in Korea, allowing them to maintain eligibility for the college season without being enrolled for classes in the Fall semester.

So, Gaze began playing when he got back from the Olympics, enrolled at Seton Hall for the Spring semester, played the season, and headed back home a week or so after the NCAA final.

Not a student in the Fall; did not complete the Spring. Then back to Australia to play professionally. The Andrew Gaze story.

If you gave 100 top players the option of playing college ball without being enrolled for classes, i'd surmise 98 of them would be asking for the sign up sheet.

If you gave 100 top players the option of playing college ball without being enrolled for classes, i'd surmise 98 of them would be asking for the sign up sheet.
Well, I think you exaggerate a bit, but no doubt more than a few would.