Cooney is a selfish player | Syracusefan.com

Cooney is a selfish player

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
I'm not even referring to the fact that he was missing threes. I'm referring to his annoying habit of NEVER passing the ball on odd man fast breaks as well as taking contested , fade away twos early in the shot clock.

It's not as noticeable when he's hitting at a decent clip , but it's selfish then as well . In this type of game , when you aren't hitting and Gbinije is having a game for the ages , it's blatant

I'm not even referring to the fact that he was missing threes. I'm referring to his annoying habit of NEVER passing the ball on odd man fast breaks as well as taking contested , fade away twos early in the shot clock.

It's not as noticeable when he's hitting at a decent clip , but it's selfish then as well . In this type of game , when you aren't hitting and Gbinije is having a game for the ages , it's blatant
He is doing exactly what his Hall of Fame coach is telling him to do. maybe he should pass to Patterson or K.J.. Give it a rest. We have so little offensive talent it's pathetic. Three guys that can do something at this level. And Cooney is one of them. Next year when he can come out and get a rest, people will se e the difference.

I said in another thread: Cooney never passes when we have a numbers advantage in transition. Compounding the problem, he just flails toward the rim and doesn't finish under control on contested layups. It's very frustrating to watch.

Last edited:
Cooney, G? And Malachi are going to be VERY tough to match up to next yr. if teams continue to face guard TC, either G or MR are going to make them pay bigtime

He is doing exactly what his Hall of Fame coach is telling him to do. maybe he should pass to Patterson or K.J.. Give it a rest. We have so little offensive talent it's pathetic. Three guys that can do something at this level. And Cooney is one of them. Next year when he can come out and get a rest, people will se e the difference.
Fine he can't pass to kj, ron, etc. but what's the excuse on odd man breaks or him jacking up off balance 3's that have no chance early in the shot clock?

we have 4 guys that can score on the team so why is it that every off game cooney has people think he shouldn't shoot so much?

we have 4 guys that can score on the team so why is it that every off game cooney has people think he shouldn't shoot so much?
Offense is not the prob w this team, if we play d this yr like we did last yr, we win this game. Dont get me wrong, we struggle a little at times on O, but our D is losing us games. Rak is handcuffed and cant play aggressive and Kaleb is lost at the top

Offense is not the prob w this team, if we play d this yr like we did last yr, we win this game. Dont get me wrong, we struggle a little at times on O, but our D is losing us games. Rak is handcuffed and cant play aggressive and Kaleb is lost at the top
I totally agree with you. We do not have the length and big bodies we are accustomed to and the zone is not good this season. Syracuse was 294th out of 345 teams in minutes played coming into this year so I was expecting the zone to suffer. Better days ahead.

Nobody should take bad shots. That is an immutable fact. There is certainly no reason to take bad shots when you are having a bad game and another player on your team is scoring at will.

Its got nothing to do with shooting percentage. If he hit 60 percent of his shots, they would still be bad shots. Its process not results.

There is this misconception that he is such a good shooter than he has earned some right to take terrible shots. He's a good shooter when he is taking good shots. There are others that can score on this team if he is covered.

Roberson was unstoppable on drives to the rim tonight. Mike G was on fire. Dont act as if the only options are passing to Patterson or Joseph.

Nobody should take bad shots. That is an immutable fact. There is certainly no reason to take bad shots when you are having a bad game and another player on your team is scoring at will.

Cooney could take 5 shots a game blindfolded from half-court in a recliner and half the board would be perfectly fine with it and say, "so what you dolt, we only have three people who can score." It's odd. No shot by Cooney is a bad shot because once he hit that fall-away corner three from an almost impossible angle he became capable of literally anything. Since that happened it became official. No bad shots. Ever. Before that there may have been a little doubt. That removed it all. :)

It's truly bizarre how immune he is from criticism for some people.

Kid is a fantastic player - but he hunts shots at times. Needlessly. He also may be the worst post-passer in the history of the program fwiw.

Cooney could take 5 shots a game blindfolded from half-court in a recliner and half the board would be perfectly fine with it and say, "so what you dolt, we only have three people who can score." It's odd. No shot by Cooney is a bad shot because once he hit that fall-away corner three from an almost impossible angle he became capable of literally anything. Since that happened it became official. No bad shots. Ever. Before that there may have been a little doubt. That removed it all. :)

Kid is a fantastic player - but he hunts shots at times. Needlessly. He also may be the worst post-passer in the history of the program fwiw.

Great post, Ghost. I will add that in order to be a good passer, you have to be a willing passer. He is neither, especially in transition.

I find it just amazing that the opposite is true. This team can't score. This kid can make some shots. We have all kind of weaknesses but this is the kid we knock.

I find it just amazing that the opposite is true. This team can't score. This kid can make some shots. We have all kind of weaknesses but this is the kid we knock.

All players on this team have been"knocked".
Multiple posts have been made about Rak's bad game. Joseph? Patterson? G? All been slammed throughout the season
This idea that Cooney is the only one that gets negative posts is bizarre

I don't think anyone is saying he can't hit shots, but a lot of the time he takes bad shots that hurts our offense.

And Obviously a lot of players on this team could be knocked by fans but Cooney is supposed to be one of our top players so he should be held to a higher standard.

All players on this team have been"knocked".
Multiple posts have been made about Rak's bad game. Joseph? Patterson? G? All been slammed throughout the season
This idea that Cooney is the only one that gets negative posts is bizarre
He gets more than his share. All shooting guards for us have. Maybe you don't remember what posters said about Andy rautins before his sr year.

Nobody is knocking him. We KNOW he has to take shots. Nobody wants him benched. My god, why is the sensitivity level so off the charts with this kid?

I love Rak to death, but I don't mind saying the kid sucked today from the floor and took some stupid *** double-pump shots around the free-throw line with Plumlee guarding him. It's like Cooney is a kitten and you're all upset we're not petting him enough.

The problem is the assessment doesn't change even in games where we are scoring. The same people will argue Cooney HAS to take those shots in halves where we're scoring at a perfectly fine clip. Which is rare, but even when it happens, the same theory applies. No bad shot because if Cooney doesn't shoot it, well, obviously the only other option is that Okoboh is going to run on the court and shoot a three. It's insanity.

The argument is, Cooney has no recognition of whether the offense is playing well or not - he's taking that contested fade-away long two early in the shot clock (or whatever ugly shot) - even when it makes no sense.

Honestly, he shouldn't sit. We need him out there...but whatever. It doesn't mean you can't criticize the kid.

Listen, in ACC play this year, per 40 minutes, when Cooney is not on the floor we outscore our opponents 160-40. :)

Who are these 4 guys? Sure didn't seem like there were 3 other guys who could score tonight?

IMO, he definitely took some ill-advised shots tonight, but our non-existent PG play and the no-show by our supposed first-team AA were far bigger problems

IMO, he definitely took some ill-advised shots tonight, but our non-existent PG play and the no-show by our supposed first-team AA were far bigger problems

Did Cooney show-up and I missed it????????

Hahaha exactly. And this thread is the perfect example of how ridiculous people on this board get when it comes to defending Cooney, people will put down other players that have nothing to do with the points that have been brought up about things like shot selection and his poor decisions on fast breaks.

Perhaps you should add a few more question marks for emphasis,

Cooney did not play well, but that doesn't absolve Rak's poor performance.

Perhaps you should add a few more question marks for emphasis,

Cooney did not play well, but that doesn't absolve Rak's poor performance.

I don't think it does it all.

I just think a lot of people on this board watch Cooney the way I watch Syracuse players in the NBA. I really never notice how they're playing, I just want them to shoot every time cuz when they make shots it makes me really, really happy. They could shoot 50 times, as long as they make a couple I'm thrilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom