cooney thread! | Syracusefan.com

cooney thread!

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Bad game, whatever. He bleeds orange. He wasnt mopeing around cause he was struggling. All he cares about is the team. G makes a 3 cooney pumps his fist. Lydon dunks cooney claps. Howard makes a great pass cooney is fired up. Its great to see, all he cares about is the team.

Having said that, we're gonna need him, so start drilling those 3s like we know you can trevor!

Sometimes he has to shoot if the clock is going down.

I see a problem being the 3 on 2, 4 on 3 quick breaks, where the team automatically goes into "find Trevor for the transition 3" mode. That isn't his fault for the most part -- the players are deferring to him.

But I think we need to push for the easier 2 in some of those situations.

I see a problem being the 3 on 2, 4 on 3 quick breaks, where the team automatically goes into "find Trevor for the transition 3" mode. That isn't his fault for the most part -- the players are deferring to him.

It's one thing we hopefully will stop fixating on next year. need guards that attack the rim first and foremost on the break. There's always a kickout waiting if you get that much penetration anyway.

Bad day today, but we won, which is what really matters.
TC is the most Feast or Famine player I've ever seen. When he's on, he can win games single-handedly.
Problem is its usually all-or-nothing on the offensive end and the inconsistency is maddening.
That being said, here's hoping he gets on a postseason roll so we can make some noise moving forward. LGO

If he's shooting well, I don't have a problem with those. But yeah, when he's struggling then we can get a better shot than that.

I have a huge problem with the stepback jumpers and the up and under 10 footers.. Those shots need to completely disappear. Just take the open ones. We've got other guys who can create and actually make tough shots, when needed.

After a couple really rough games in a row, he's due to get hot.

I keep posting this sound like a broken record but the WORST part of Trevors game is his shooting. He is a poor shooter period. He might have come in a a good shooter in HS but something has ruined his touch. I personally believe that he has done way too much upper body building. I was a 2 in college and i saw guys who bulked up too much and it hurt their shot. Good kid plays his arse off but has lost his touch. Because he used to be a good shooter every once in awhile he will find it but for the most part it is gone.

Trevor Cooney is a basketball player.

He is, but if we are going to win games going forward, he is going to have to find his stroke. We aren't going to win many games with him going 1-10.

kcsu said:
I keep posting this sound like a broken record but the WORST part of Trevors game is his shooting. He is a poor shooter period. He might have come in a a good shooter in HS but something has ruined his touch. I personally believe that he has done way too much upper body building. I was a 2 in college and i saw guys who bulked up too much and it hurt their shot. Good kid plays his arse off but has lost his touch. Because he used to be a good shooter every once in awhile he will find it but for the most part it is gone.

But it's really the only way he can score. His percentage scoring on transition baskets can't be better than 25 percent for his career.

It's one thing we hopefully will stop fixating on next year. need guards that attack the rim first and foremost on the break. There's always a kickout waiting if you get that much penetration anyway.
If you want a guy who attacks the rim on the break Kid Mamba is your Kid/man

What aspect of his game (offensively) is better though?

For a decent part of the second half we seemed to just have G bring the ball up and hand the ball off to TC. G would then run around as the SG, TC would take the ball up top, dribble in place for a bit, and then just hit G after he ran off a couple screens. G would then abuse NCST.

He has to hit shots. After a bad stretch, hopefully he gets hot and buries UNC. He had a great game against them last time out! LGO!

JB sat Cooney for 6 minutes in the first half and didn't sit him in the 2nd half. That was the only thing that frustrated me. Our offense became a clogged toilet in the 2nd after Lydon got cold. It was all Mike G and he carried the team.

Cooney should have sat a little in the 2nd half but he didn't and we won. Cooney will light UNC up though. He has had a good career against UNC.

One of the worst games of his career. Came at an unfortunate time. Hope he can turn it around

The good thing about Trevor is that he A) always seems to show up for UNC, and B) typically has his best shooting games on neutral courts. So hopefully that bodes well for our postseason run.

Why do people feel they HAVE to dump on Cooney? There is just a 7 man rotation. He has to play. His 1-10 is still better than 0-0 than Howard was. 0-0 means the defense can back off and wait for his drives. And there isn't some guy running his a$$ off chasing him around the court. His offense/defense is better that Howards. Does he deserve 32 minutes, maybe not. I understand having Cooney have the ball for 15 - 20 seconds at the end of the game, he is the most reliable foul shooter on the team.

Why do people feel they HAVE to dump on Cooney? There is just a 7 man rotation. He has to play. His 1-10 is still better than 0-0 than Howard was. 0-0 means the defense can back off and wait for his drives. And there isn't some guy running his a$$ off chasing him around the court. His offense/defense is better that Howards. Does he deserve 32 minutes, maybe not. I understand having Cooney have the ball for 15 - 20 seconds at the end of the game, he is the most reliable foul shooter on the team.

These defenses of him are equally tiresome. We should be patting him on the back because he's cheering for his teammates? Because he can make 75% of his foul shots? That's ludicrous. This is what he signed up for. When you play at this level, you're under the spotlight. Especially when you don't/can't deliver. If he wanted to play without this kind of scrutiny, he should have signed with Delaware. He could have been a star there. He's a mediocre player at this level. It's not his fault that he's asked to do more than he can.

These defenses of him are equally tiresome. We should be patting him on the back because he's cheering for his teammates? Because he can make 75% of his foul shots? That's ludicrous. This is what he signed up for. When you play at this level, you're under the spotlight. Especially when you don't/can't deliver. If he wanted to play without this kind of scrutiny, he should have signed with Delaware. He could have been a star there. He's a mediocre player at this level. It's not his fault that he's asked to do more than he can.
H0nestly at this point I can't take it. Nobody wants to rip Cooney. Our coaching staff has betrayed him. He shouldn't play all these minutes when he struggles. JB sat him in the first half and offense and defense was fine. If Howard committed the foul on the 3 point shot by Barber then he would have gotten the stare and be pulled.

However, the same isn't true for Cooney. That is where Cooney gets crap from people. Nobody wants him to struggle but he is held to a completely different standard. That is the frustration in a nutshell.

Poor Triche/Scoop those guys should get apologies from people who complained.

Last edited:
Honestly wonder why defenses still key on him. He seems to shoot a worse % when he's open for good looks.

kcsu said:
I personally believe that he has done way too much upper body building. I was a 2 in college and i saw guys who bulked up too much and it hurt their shot. Good kid plays his arse off but has lost his touch. Because he used to be a good shooter every once in awhile he will find it but for the most part it is gone.
He put up 32 points earlier this season. This body building stuff comes up every year with Trevor and it is utter nonsense. He's in good shape but he's not that muscular and certainly not noticeably bigger than he was last season. He has some bad habits that really come through when he struggles, like not going up straight or letting his left (steadying) hand come off the ball.

That two-on-one break right before the under-8:00 timeout...yikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom