cooney thread! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

cooney thread!

Not one story of any negative behavior. He's done nothing to embarrass the program in five years. No academic problems, no run ins with law enforcement. No NCAA issues. This guy who has done nothing but work his a** off and be a good teammate is still subject to this endless stream of criticism. And I'm not limiting this to this thread. Nothing here is over the top unfair, but the anger toward him from the fan base at large is f****** pathetic.

Everyone knows he needs to make shots for us to have any chance at success. This horse was beaten to death 3 years ago...and some people still can't let go of the desire to bash this kid over and over again.

I'm excited to see who people will blame for all the world's problems once he's gone.

It's not anger. The debates rage during the season because people argue both sides. It's about his value.

If someone argues that Kaleb Joseph is not producing enough to warrant PT, nobody defends him. So, those threads aren't termed bashing and they don't go anywhere.

If Roberson is playing like crap, everyone sort of agrees, so those threads are just a lot of people agreeing that he's an enigma and they don't get termed bashing and everyone moves on.

With Cooney, people still argue the same stuff - so the threads go on, except it's called bashing on one end, because there is a debate. It is what it is. Not sure why it still bothers or surprises people. If there was a large contingent of people that thought Kaleb Joseph was extremely good, there would be a ton of those threads. It's the nature of the beast during the season - we still have games to go and TC has a HUGE impact on those game. I get why it's unpleasant though. :(

Nobody thinks he isn't a great teammate, most of our players are good citizens from what we know, no academic problems, no run-ins with law, etc...nobody debates that. We're lucky.

See, a Cooney appreciate thread from a month ago, nobody is bashing him: http://syracusefan.com/threads/trevor-cooney-appreciation-thread.99171/

It comes close I guess a times, but that's because some people try to bait it.

I felt bad for him yesterday. A couple of his 3s were literally just an inch or two from going down. I thought with Mal, G, and Tyler taking some of the shooting pressure off this year he would be more consistent. I really wanted him to have a good game yesterday in his finale. He is the consummate team player and we'll miss him.

Ghost said:
It's not anger. The debates rage during the season because people argue both sides. It's about his value.

If someone argues that Kaleb Joseph is not producing enough to warrant PT, nobody defends him. So, those threads aren't termed bashing and they don't go anywhere.

If Roberson is playing like crap, everyone sort of agrees, so those threads are just a lot of people agreeing that he's an enigma and they don't get termed bashing and everyone moves on.

With Cooney, people still argue the same stuff - so the threads go on, except it's called bashing on one end, because there is a debate. It is what it is. Not sure why it still bothers or surprises people. If there was a large contingent of people that thought Kaleb Joseph was extremely good, there would be a ton of those threads. It's the nature of the beast during the season - we still have games to go and TC has a HUGE impact on those game. I get why it's unpleasant though. :(

Nobody thinks he isn't a great teammate, most of our players are good citizens from what we know, no academic problems, no run-ins with law, etc...nobody debates that. We're lucky.

See, a Cooney appreciate thread from a month ago, nobody is bashing him: http://syracusefan.com/threads/trevor-cooney-appreciation-thread.99171/

It's going on four years. Four years of the same complaints.

And most of our players recently are good citizens. Sadly that wasn't always the case up until pretty recently.

It's going on four years. Four years of the same complaints.

And most of our players recently are good citizens. Sadly that wasn't always the case up until pretty recently.

I get it - but we typically have some polarizing force. The Wes year we didn't, but otherwise, there is always going to be some back and forth.

The argument goes because people vehemently argue both sides. If one side bought in (which at this stage clearly ain't happening) the arguments would dissipate.

congrats to trevor on the senior day win. glad the crowd showed their appreciation as well.[
Was my imagination (or a trick of the sound on my TV) but did Trevor get a louder ovation when he left the game than G did? Or was it the inclusion of "Cooooooooney" that made it sound louder.

couldn't gauge the decibel level but perhaps given his shooting #'s the fans were happy he was finally sitting down.

I think Kaleb Joseph is Magic Johnson waiting to happen if stubborn JB would just give him a chance!

Let Howard shoot. He won't do any worse than 1-8 0-6 every night out.
I don't know about that. His .265 over all shooting (versus Cooney's .337) and particularly .067 from 3 ( versus .345 fot Cooney) would say other wise. Cooney stats for the year say he has a higher top end and is more likely to go 3-4 or 4-6 the next game than Howard

couldn't gauge the decibel level but perhaps given his shooting #'s the fans were happy he was finally sitting down.
Since there is no button . . . . a hardy DISLIKE.

Since there is no button . . . . a hardy DISLIKE.
hey i layed off yesterday.happy senior day. today brings a new sun rise. open season.

Last edited:
I felt bad for him yesterday. A couple of his 3s were literally just an inch or two from going down. I thought with Mal, G, and Tyler taking some of the shooting pressure off this year he would be more consistent. I really wanted him to have a good game yesterday in his finale. He is the consummate team player and we'll miss him.
Yeah, the 2nd 3 pt shot he took was halfway down before coming back out. So close!
I was at the game and I tell you, that place was ready to explode every time he launched a 3 - unfortunately just didn't happen for him.

No, it was true fan appreciation for what he has given to the program the last 4 years.
True he never quite developed into the shooter we all were hoping for, but you can't deny the hard work, hustle, and dedication he put in.
Also, he is one of the leaders on the court, often helping settle other players down, giving encouragement, etc.

Yeah, the 2nd 3 pt shot he took was halfway down before coming back out. So close!
I was at the game and I tell you, that place was ready to explode every time he launched a 3 - unfortunately just didn't happen for him.

The irony is that's the only game all year he didn't make at least one

Last edited:
I don't know about that. His .265 over all shooting (versus Cooney's .337) and particularly .067 from 3 ( versus .345 fot Cooney) would say other wise. Cooney stats for the year say he has a higher top end and is more likely to go 3-4 or 4-6 the next game than Howard

Cooneys had some games that inflate his stats. Its like Roberson avgs 8/9 boards every night out when we know he's doesn't.

Offense runs better with Howard.

Cooney will never be mistaken for gmac. We would certainly win 10 games without Cooney.

Cooneys had some games that inflate his stats. Its like Roberson avgs 8/9 boards every night out when we know he's doesn't.

Offense runs better with Howard.

Cooney will never be mistaken for gmac. We would certainly win 10 games without Cooney.
So only his bad shooting games should count toward his stats. Got it

Cooney has improved his 3 point % from last year's 30.9% to 34.6%

Where he has struggled this year has been from 2 point range. Last year Cooney shot 43.8% from 2 point range to this year an awful 32.3%.

Cooney's 2 point percentage has hurt his offensive production this year as Cooney has shot less 3's and that has helped his 3 pt percentage.

Cooney has improved his 3 point % from last year's 30.9% to 34.6%

Where he has struggled this year has been from 2 point range. Last year Cooney shot 43.8% from 2 point range to this year an awful 32.3%.

Cooney's 2 point percentage has hurt his offensive production this year as Cooney has shot less 3's and that has helped his 3 pt percentage.
Cooney has improved his 3-point percentage over last season, but he is attempting exactly the same number as last year (7.4 per game).

Okay so Cooney's 3pt shot has improved by 3.7% and his 2 pt shot has declined by 10.5%.

His PER is below 12.0 for the season. His usage rate hasn't been good. JB playing the kid all these minutes hurts his metrics.

The coaching staff has betrayed Cooney. The kid plays hard but if the coaching staff had more options he could be used less.

Cooney is great on defense and decent at bringing the ball up the court.

Okay so Cooney's 3pt shot has improved by 3.7% and his 2 pt shot has declined by 10.5%.

His PER is below 12.0 for the season. His usage rate hasn't been good. JB playing the kid all these minutes hurts his metrics.

The coaching staff has betrayed Cooney. The kid plays hard but if the coaching staff had more options he could be used less.
"The coaching staff has betrayed Cooney"???? Do you think TC wants to play less minutes? Do you really think TC or any other bball player prioritizes this PER metric over pure totals?

I can understand you wanting TC to play less. And that is on JB, that is JB's call. Where you lose it, IMO, is trying to suggest that JB is betraying TC by playing him so many minutes, as though this is against TC's will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom