cooney thread! | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

cooney thread!

"The coaching staff has betrayed Cooney"???? Do you think TC wants to play less minutes? Do you really think TC or any other bball player prioritizes this PER metric over pure totals?

I can understand you wanting TC to play less. And that is on JB, that is JB's call. Where you lose it, IMO, is trying to suggest that JB is betraying TC by playing him so many minutes, as though this is against TC's will.
That is my way of not blaming Cooney for all his PT. The coaches have betrayed him and put him up for more scrutiny by playing high 30 MPG instead of just high 20/low 30 MPG. JB had more options or more elite talent when he was dishing out guard minutes.

Cooney played almost averaged 10 more MPG than Brandon Triche. Triche's Senior year was the only one he played over 30 MPGand he played 33.7 MPG. that was basically the same as Cooney's Sophomore year.

On PER it tells you how valuable a player in relation to the minutes they play. PER tells us that Cooney isn't as efficient because he plays a lot of minutes.

I am not going to hammer the kid for playing the minutes I am putting it on the coach to leave the kid alone. Syracuse whiffed on several guards Patterson/Joseph thus Cooney has had to play to much. Ergo the coaching staff has betrayed him. Don't take it literally read the context.

"The coaching staff has betrayed Cooney"???? Do you think TC wants to play less minutes? Do you really think TC or any other bball player prioritizes this PER metric over pure totals?

I can understand you wanting TC to play less. And that is on JB, that is JB's call. Where you lose it, IMO, is trying to suggest that JB is betraying TC by playing him so many minutes, as though this is against TC's will.

Trevor plays more than Carmelo Anthony did.

That is my way of not blaming Cooney for all his PT. The coaches have betrayed him and put him up for more scrutiny by playing high 30 MPG instead of just high 20/low 30 MPG. JB had more options or more elite talent when he was dishing out guard minutes.

Cooney played almost averaged 10 more MPG than Brandon Triche. Triche's Senior year was the only one he played over 30 MPGand he played 33.7 MPG. that was basically the same as Cooney's Sophomore year.

On PER it tells you how valuable a player in relation to the minutes they play. PER tells us that Cooney isn't as efficient because he plays a lot of minutes.

I am not going to hammer the kid for playing the minutes I am putting it on the coach to leave the kid alone. Syracuse whiffed on several guards Patterson/Joseph thus Cooney has had to play to much. Ergo the coaching staff has betrayed him. Don't take it literally read the context.
Well, I think betrayal is a poor word choice, the coaches are not betraying TC, if anything they are rewarding TC with additional mpg's.

Secondly, there are alternatives. JB could play Mal at the 2 and Lydon at the 3. Or put FH in and slide MG over. So, if the coaching staff betrayed TC by whiffing on Patterson/Joseph what do you call the excellent choice of Mal?

Third, this PER you speak of, sounds like just a stat. One that you value. I doubt it says TC is inefficient, and I really doubt it gives the cause of his inefficiency as being because he plays a lot of minutes - that's all your interpretation.

Instead of me not taking something literally, why don't you just drop the "betrayal" nonsense. It looks to me like JB is rewarding a hard working, loyal, program player with a lot of mpg's. Pretty much the opposite of a coach betraying a player.

Trevor plays more than Carmelo Anthony did.
If Melo had stayed through his senior year, I think he might have gotten more minutes. We'll never know.

I wish I had the time to do a histogram of Cooney's 3 pt shots made/taken for the season then maybe his career. The point is, is there a difference between average shots made and median # of shots made. Is the average greatly influenced by a few awesome game or maybe a few 0 for / 1 for games? Or are those numbers close to being equal? A crude example is that 2 games of 3/4 is wiped out by 1 0-8 making for 6/16 = .375.

Well, I think betrayal is a poor word choice, the coaches are not betraying TC, if anything they are rewarding TC with additional mpg's.

Secondly, there are alternatives. JB could play Mal at the 2 and Lydon at the 3. Or put FH in and slide MG over. So, if the coaching staff betrayed TC by whiffing on Patterson/Joseph what do you call the excellent choice of Mal?

Third, this PER you speak of, sounds like just a stat. One that you value. I doubt it says TC is inefficient, and I really doubt it gives the cause of his inefficiency as being because he plays a lot of minutes - that's all your interpretation.

Instead of me not taking something literally, why don't you just drop the "betrayal" nonsense. It looks to me like JB is rewarding a hard working, loyal, program player with a lot of mpg's. Pretty much the opposite of a coach betraying a player.

I'd go with option number secondly!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom