Cooney | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

Did you ever think part of the reason for the low shooting percentage was because of the defensive attention?
No. Perhaps he should have shot 100% vs Adrian? the offensive player always has the advantage. his shots were not being blocked. Some were harder than others, but at this level 23% does not cut it. i am not saying that he will not snap out of it. I am saying that we should not put all of our shooting guard marbles in one hand.

One more TC comment. someone noted from practice that GMac is rearranging TC,s Form and observed that GMac was overdoing it.

Cooneys "struggles" remind me of DNic. From day 1 I watched that kid and thought he should be a great shhoter because his form is so good. It took him a while, and it might take TC a while to be as consistent as he can be, but the raw materials are there.
Good comparison. Cooney still has a lot of "rush" to his game- like he's in a hurry at all times. When DNic, Andy Rautins, et al- became seniors they looked a lot more comfortable and the shots began falling consistently. TC needs to calm down and just...play. It'll come. JMHO

moqui said:
its because his post count is so high that we've learned to ignore most anything he posts on the hoop side
All over me wanting to see more of a different orange player. They have more than five players. How minutes get divvied up is up for debate

I think 90% of TC critics (the ones not saying stupid D3 garbage) can be summed up with these points

1. Cooney is way too feast or famine. His 37% from 3 looks good, but it'd be way better if he were 3/8 every night from behind the arc, rather than going 9-12 one night and 1-11 the next.

2. He's way too reliant on spotting up. He needs to add the ability to drive to the hoop, something, anything, another threat because defenders are going to constantly move immediately to defend the jumper and cheat off of watching him go on the dribble. He definitely improved in that aspect tonight.

3. His shot selection can be better. He takes not good enough looks to early sometimes, and 0-9 nights are unacceptable. Shooting to get out of a slump is fine, but not when there is time on the shot clock and options around the floor.

And honestly, he probably doesn't get half of the crap he gets last season if A) Fair didn't forget how to shoot from 3, and B) Boeheim did more than run him baseline to baseline on 80% of half court sets.

Did you ever think part of the reason for the low shooting percentage was because of the defensive attention?
No. Defensive attention would limit his takes. If he doesnt like the look he should pass. Actually thought he looked ok last game hope he finds his stroke as we need him to regain his confidence

kcsu said:
No. Defensive attention would limit his takes. If he doesnt like the look he should pass. Actually thought he looked ok last game hope he finds his stroke as we need him to regain his confidence

You like disagreeing with the coaches.

You like disagreeing with the coaches.
Bees you are funny. I played college basketball and played the two. If he doesnt have a good look he should pass. I take it that you played basketball as well or that you coached at Syracuse because i can tell you that every coach would 100% agree with not taking a shot if you dont have a good look unless the play clock is in play. Please stop making things up:)

kcsu said:
Bees you are funny. I played college basketball and played the two. If he doesnt have a good look he should pass. I take it that you played basketball as well or that you coached at Syracuse because i can tell you that every coach would 100% agree with not taking a shot if you dont have a good look unless the play clock is in play. Please stop making things up:)

Ok. I'll stop making things up.

Just don't try to get me to explain basic basketball to you. You've already drifted away from my point and making your own.

Question for those who have been a fan longer than me: Is Cooney the most dissected/discussed/polarizing player in SU history? Obviously the internet era plays a part in this, but off the top of my head only Paul Harris comes close.

despite his size paul harris led this team in rebounds. and that my friend is hunger!

despite his size paul harris led this team in rebounds. and that my friend is hunger!

I've witnessed plenty of people in the past after smoking some cheeb. Talk about hunger!
-Thus smoked the cheeb

I can't remember such visceral hatred for an SU athlete with such over the top criticism than we've had for TC. Only one that comes close is Troy Nunes. Fab Melo was useless, is still hurting us and is a bad person and he hasn't received a fraction of the criticism that Cooney does on a daily basis.

There is valid criticism, but there is also group of usual suspects that have pathetically attacked him from day one. Unfortunately those offering legitimate criticism get drowned out and lumped together with the agenda driven posts.

The collapse at the end of the year was a full team effort, yet this small but loud group of fools puts the blame on TC. It is pathetic.

Cooney was a huge part of the end of season disaster that occurred. His shooting slump allowed defenses to key on the other offensive players weaknesses.

Cooney's slump wasn't the only factor in the late losses, but it sure was a factor. Cooney is still our best three point shooter, he is our best returning scorer, but he is also a question mark we have to answer. Just like Joseph, McCullough and Roberson among our biggest question marks.

Ok. I'll stop making things up.

Just don't try to get me to explain basic basketball to you. You've already drifted away from my point and making your own.
Thanks Bees but your point was that tc had a hard time shooting because of the D attention that he was drawing. My point was if you dont have the shot dont take it. As far as you attempting to share your knowledge of basketball with me its ok, ill pass.

kcsu said:
Thanks Bees but your point was that tc had a hard time shooting because of the D attention that he was drawing. My point was if you dont have the shot dont take it. As far as you attempting to share your knowledge of basketball with me its ok, ill pass.

Your point is that if someone is closely guarded, they'd never get a shot. It's not an absolute.

sorry but your whole argument gets blown up when he misses those wide open looks. it's betwixt the ears. best get it together for the ACC.

Your point is that if someone is closely guarded, they'd never get a shot. It's not an absolute.
Good point. As to TC i want him to do well and yes having other options which we didnt have last year should help. I just dont believe that he is a pure shooter. Streak yes pure no. Kid Kohls, Sweet D, Jimmy Lee, Gmac, The Rautin boys all pure shooters. As to the post about Gmac messing with TC's shot that is the worst thing you can ever do. Trevor can shoot and the best thing for him is to not mess at all with his stroke. He simply needs confidence. I wish him well and hope he has a great year.

All over me wanting to see more of a different orange player. They have more than five players. How minutes get divvied up is up for debate
i was just with you, Millhouse

Cooney, the never ending enigma.

Last year was basically his sophomore year in terms of play (although technically a junior) and no defenses respected him that much early in the season based upon his spot play the season before. Also, I'm sure Coleman's big body helped get him some wide open shots. By the time the ACC season rolled around, Coleman was out and teams had figured out he was our ONLY, and I repeat ONLY, long range shooter. Even Fair took a step backwards in terms of threes and Ennis was more into passing than scoring. SilentG was too timid most of the time, while Grant and Rak were inside players pretty exclusively and BMK was mostly useless on offense, not that good at setting picks.

Yes, we all wished by the end of the season TC learned to pump fake and drive in a few more steps and take the mid-range jumper but he still has time to learn to do these things and on last year's team even doing so probably would have hampered movement of the others on offense more often than not.

This year, in the half court sets I don't think he'll be able to drive to the basket against ACC level competition like he did against Kennesaw for two of his baskets. But, there is some hope that this year others will step up to take some of the load off of him with either a medium range jumper (McCullough, Roberson, Joseph), threes (Patterson, SilentG), or both (BJ) which will allow him to do some fakes and step-ins for medium range shots without disrupting the offensive flow of the others.

Time will tell. But unless we get better overall in terms of both mid-range shooting and threes, it will be a long season, imho. The ACC is much more loaded this year than last.

Cheers,
Neil

Cooney was a huge part of the end of season disaster that occurred. His shooting slump allowed defenses to key on the other offensive players weaknesses.

Cooney's slump wasn't the only factor in the late losses, but it sure was a factor. Cooney is still our best three point shooter, he is our best returning scorer, but he is also a question mark we have to answer. Just like Joseph, McCullough and Roberson among our biggest question marks.
The lack of any other outside threat allowed other teams to concentrate their defense on Cooney, making it more difficult for him to get quality shots.

it's Zoogz Rift, most famous as a musician; acolyte of/collaborator with Frank Zappa. He was also involved in several independent pro wrestling companies in the 80s and 90s. I got to know him on the wrestling boards in the years before his death.
I like me some Zappa. Didn't recognize him...nice

Of note on Cooney from yesterdays game, regardless of his shooting his handle is very good and improved. He went around the back in traffic during transition and looked sure handed and practiced doing it. He also had a very nice drive down the lane through traffic at the very end making an adjustment in the air for the layup. In the past most of his drives to the basket were of the straight line open lane variety. Shooting aside he has obviously improved his handle but he will need to incorporate that into his game more IMO weather he is making or missing his jumper.

Of note on Cooney from yesterdays game, regardless of his shooting his handle is very good and improved. He went around the back in traffic during transition and looked sure handed and practiced doing it. He also had a very nice drive down the lane through traffic at the very end making an adjustment in the air for the layup. In the past most of his drives to the basket were of the straight line open lane variety. Shooting aside he has obviously improved his handle but he will need to incorporate that into his game more IMO weather he is making or missing his jumper.

He looked more comfortable than Gbinije handling the ball yesterday. I'm not sure what that means for backup PG duties, but G struggled with that yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom