Cooney's 3 pt shooting... | Syracusefan.com

Cooney's 3 pt shooting...

jec1521

2nd String
Has anybody noticed his lack of 3 pt shooting the last 2 games? 1-2 against Gonzaga and 0-1 against UVA. I think this is really helping us. His off balance 3 pters were basically turnovers. Instead he is driving to the basket and making plays for himself and for others. At this point, this is where he is most valuable to us. I would rather see G, Malachi, or Lydon taking the 3's. Thoughts?

I've definitely noticed, and I think a lot of it has to do with the increased defensive pressure he's been seeing around the 3-point line.

I like the way he has been playing and its not like he's not still being guarded out there, he's just choosing to take open 3's or do something else. His defense and overall hustle have also been great, some of which can be credited to Frank for allowing us to rest Cooney, G and Mal. I will say this though, if we win the whole thing I expect him to have one of those games where he hits a handful.

Yes, totally agree. Even as someone who likes the 3ball more than most, there's no reason for him to chuck double digits with those other three guys (last year it was a little more understandable). Also Roberson doesn't clean up as many of his misses it seems, whether that's due to being busy screening or the rebound being long..

I've definitely noticed, and I think a lot of it has to do with the increased defensive pressure he's been seeing around the 3-point line.

I have to disagree, he is not being guarded any differently IMO. I really think he is consciously trying to select better shots and it is helping the team a lot. There are so many good 3 point shooters on this team, just go with the hot hand...

Yep. I was so pleasantly surprised with how he finished at the rim against UVA (with the exception of maybe one miss) - he did such a good job of taking what they were giving him - hope he can continue it against NC

jec1521 said:
Has anybody noticed his lack of 3 pt shooting the last 2 games? 1-2 against Gonzaga and 0-1 against UVA. I think this is really helping us. His off balance 3 pters were basically turnovers. Instead he is driving to the basket and making plays for himself and for others. At this point, this is where he is most valuable to us. I would rather see G, Malachi, or Lydon taking the 3's. Thoughts?

You take what's given you. Even G has been driving a lot more and taking fewer jumpers.

Not sure it's possible to be a member of this board and not notice this. I have been meaning to post about it. I think that our run this year has clearly been a team effort, all 7 of our guys have made significant contributions. But I think the biggest of these, prolly 2nd to Roberson's rebounding, has been Cooney not forcing shots. I think he knows something is a little off, and has been that way for a while. And he understands we simply cannot afford a "typical" 2-12 Cooney turdburger surprise performance in the tourney. If he does that, we are out, simple as that. That he understands this really shows how smart a player/person he is. And he is playing out of his mind in this tourney. Finishing well at the rim, great defense, impassioned leader. He is even shooting at a much better clip (albeit in reduced numbers), which I think is a direct result of him not forcing it. Could not be more impressed with Cooney in the tourney, and I am (was) admittedly one of the biggest Cooney haters around for the last couple of years.

He's been much better at taking smarter shots (both inside and outside the arc). It's made this team so much better offensively.

I mentioned in another thread about our proficiency driving vs UVA and even a little more than usual vs Gonzaga. One result should be help side collapsing on a drive which should get us kick outs for open threes.

I think Roy is working hard in practice about taking charges from us this game. Need to be careful we are smart about it.

Coon has been a lot more discretionary with his shot - to the betterment of his efficiency - but he's still good for one wild drive to the basket where the ball ricochets off the glass like a cannon and jump starts a fast break the other way. And he's still drifting on most of his shots... even his mid-range pullups. :bang: Maybe he needs to sample the wind current during warmups to realize we're indoors?

JB is a game plan coach. Take what the defense gives you. The plan of attack for the guards the last two games has been to go to the rim. It wasn't like he shot bad against Dayton and MTU. I think we see more jumpers from he and G against UNC.

he's wisely moved his game inside the arc. if he shoots 13 treys we lose first round. he's playing smarter.

Yup but hes got a great midrange, pullup game he should use as well

and don't discount the fact that teams who scouted us and watched tape expected cooney to only shoot deep and the CUSE to play full time zone d. this element of surprise may be somewhat lost on royboy and the tar heels who are no doubt digesting just the recent tourney tapes. regardless cooney has filled his role well these past few contests.

Naive string of comments in my opinion. Cooney is not taking 3 pt shots lately because JB has ordered him to desist, unless he is absolutely wide open and there is no one inside he can dish off to. Why it took JB so long to lower the boom is the real question. Cooney has become a fabulous resource in the current win streak as a result.

I don't know if it is JB or himself pulling the reins in. The last two games we have been in a scoreboard deficit so maybe he feels that is not the time to be jacking up threes. I think if we were ahead or the score was close, and depending on how our other guys are scoring, we can probably expect more attempts from three for him. Just my thoughts.

naive? your comment might hold some validity if it not were the running off balance curl and pops we still see. (one of which missed everything.) i don't think JB would ever put a brake on cooney's shooting and has said as much many times in the past. "shooters gotta shoot" line. i think the coondog is just focusing more on getting better looks and realizing what he needs to do to help us win.

Last edited:
Nobody let him get open in the regular season. So far in the post season, they're REALLY not letting him get open. In fact, aside from Malachi going off in the UVA game, I think teams have made it a point to stop all of our shooters from getting good looks from deep.

short memory here. he missed a ton of open looks. in fact 3 guys on this team shot it better from outside and i'm sure the opponents factor that into their game plans. he got ZERO extra defensive help all season. as the original post above suggests he seems to be more judicious about pulling the trigger deep in the tourney. and that's a good thing !

Cusefan0307 said:
JB is a game plan coach. Take what the defense gives you. The plan of attack for the guards the last two games has been to go to the rim. It wasn't like he shot bad against Dayton and MTU. I think we see more jumpers from he and G against UNC.

Exactly. Even during his bad shooting games not one time I doubt JB told him to stop shooting. He'd be on the bench for disobeying orders. In fact a few times I've heard JB say in a presser that he wants him to shoot and be a threat because it opens lanes.

Any change in how any player plays is simply game plan and/or taking what's given you. I don't think there was any conscious decision by Cooney to shoot fewer 3's or to drive more.

orange2win said:
Naive string of comments in my opinion. Cooney is not taking 3 pt shots lately because JB has ordered him to desist, unless he is absolutely wide open and there is no one inside he can dish off to. Why it took JB so long to lower the boom is the real question. Cooney has become a fabulous resource in the current win streak as a result.

Doubtful after 100+ games JB said desist. And it's only been the last two games. Coming off 2/5 and 4/7 the prior two NCAA games, I doubt JB decided all of a sudden he should desist.

Exactly. Even during his bad shooting games not one time I doubt JB told him to stop shooting. He'd be on the bench for disobeying orders. In fact a few times I've heard JB say in a presser that he wants him to shoot and be a threat because it opens lanes.

Any change in how any player plays is simply game plan and/or taking what's given you. I don't think there was any conscious decision by Cooney to shoot fewer 3's or to drive more.
Looked to me like there was a conscious team effort to drive more in the second half. Cooney was blanketed, so drive more.
The 3 point shots came from Richardson and Lydon because they could get themselves open. Take what's given to you (as you say), but also take what individual players can get.

Have you noticed the criticism has drastically reduced? It's directly correlated. He's not a good shooter and never warranted shooting that many threes. He made threes the first two games but they weren't forced, for the most part. He's playing within himself now and making plays, big plays.

Keep it up. That said, I think he is due for 4+ treys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom