Cord cutters growing is why I think we won't see an ACC network | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cord cutters growing is why I think we won't see an ACC network

If ESPN, Fox, or whomever does start an ACC cable channel, I will be happy to renew "ties", but until then it will be ...
Terminator.gif

Attachments

• Terminator.gif
    Terminator.gif
    951.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
For under $20, I think this is a great deal because it does pretty much the same thing - catch TV signals from hundreds of miles away: TV Signal Booster
I wouldnt go with that one... the booster portion is to compensate for loss in your coax, not the air. Size matters. I've been in Boston where those window ones couldnt pick up Boston towers, and I've seen proper roof antennas pick them all up from 60+ miles away.
8 bay bowtie antennas test very well, where some of the small ones claiming 100 miles fail at 20.

doubtful it does almost almost anything at all. HD signal sucks compared to old VHS/UHF . Its much more line of site dependent. The only good thing is if you get it, its great looking. there isnt much in between like the 25 yrs ago fuzzy picture viewing.

I am sitting 30 miles from syracuse and I can only get Fox with an HD Antenna where I could get everything and Rochester and Toronto before. Worst thing it was intentionally made worse by the engineers when they installed it and shooting almost all the signal in the opposite direction and almost ignored all the people south of the city.

doubtful it does almost almost anything at all. HD signal sucks compared to old VHS/UHF . Its much more line of site dependent. The only good thing is if you get it, its great looking. there isnt much in between like the 25 yrs ago fuzzy picture viewing.

I am sitting 30 miles from syracuse and I can only get Fox with an HD Antenna where I could get everything and Rochester and Toronto before. Worst thing it was intentionally made worse by the engineers when they installed it and shooting almost all the signal in the opposite direction and almost ignored all the people south of the city.
HD signals are UHF signals(unless you have a straggler or 2 in VHF). You should be able to pick up a UHF with the proper antenna/set up. UHF waves are shorter, and dont travel as well through walls etc, and dont travel quite as far as VHF. Still good for 60+...

If you've calculated how many feet of coax you have, added 3db loss for each splitter etc, and have found the inherent loss in your coax? A booster of that db#(not bigger or smaller) will assure the signal gets from your antenna to your TV. As you say, it's all or nothing, and this is a common problem.

If you have an "HD" (lol) antenna that looks like a ray gun? Those are hot garbage.

I use a channel master 8 bay. The scientific (not advertising) tests showed this was a style good for long range. Folks I know with the other styles get less, sometimes far less, or nothing. Buddy 70+ miles from the towers, same antenna, is also picking up the same # of channels as me. (60)... Although, its just for football. Lol

Last edited:
the old signals bounced, the HD ones not nearly as well. HD doenst travel over the hills or thru the trees as well either. You used to get the old signals down to ithaca not its not even past cortland.

I had discussions with the 3/5/9 engineers and the new HD anttenas are just not placed well to shoot very far south of the City, In some cases they are too low and in others they are just aimed the opposite directions now and they did it intentionally even though the north side had better line of site already.

I have tried a dozen different antennas. Only good thing is there is a bit of a signal when the leaves come off, but from April-Oct no dice.

the old signals bounced, the HD ones not nearly as well. HD doenst travel over the hills or thru the trees as well either. You used to get the old signals down to ithaca not its not even past cortland.

I had discussions with the 3/5/9 engineers and the new HD anttenas are just not placed well to shoot very far south of the City, In some cases they are too low and in others they are just aimed the opposite directions now and they did it intentionally even though the north side had better line of site already.

I have tried a dozen different antennas. Only good thing is there is a bit of a signal when the leaves come off, but from April-Oct no dice.
The move from VHF to UHF for the HD stations could certainly be an issue. I'm at sea level. I'd expect higher land in the path to be an issue, but no problems here. I mention only because folks use the wrong(or small) antennas, and dont account for the right amplifier for their coax.

In my case, I had to mount the antenna to the chimmney of a 2 story house. With a little height, I received all signals. Not so much at ground level, with obstructions.