Cord cutters growing is why I think we won't see an ACC network | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cord cutters growing is why I think we won't see an ACC network

I saw an article recently that said that ESPN is currently being paid about $6.30/subscriber, the most of any network or family of networks, but their subscribership is down by about 4% because more cable operators are moving them to a pay tier. I also read that if ESPN were to move to an app, it would have to charge $30/month to recapture what they are currently earning from their cable deals - which I take to mean that they would expect about 20% of overall cable subscribers to buy them ala carte, if cable programming was unbundled.
Ha, all of that is in the article posted above.

SlingTV @ $20/month includes ESPN and ESPN2. For an extra $5 per month you get SEC Network, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Bases Loaded, Univision Deportes, Universal Sports and beIN Sports.

Does this subscription also allow access to ESPN3? If it does I may be cutting.

Everything else I can get elsewhere or do without.

Yes...Sling TV is good for ESPN3. You have to sign in as a Sling customer...your old TW account won't work. Be advised blackouts can happen...so the Cuse game might be blacked out if it is available locally on CW, etc...you can be a partial cord cutter...tell TW you just want internet and the lifeline package.

Yes...Sling TV is good for ESPN3. You have to sign in as a Sling customer...your old TW account won't work. Be advised blackouts can happen...so the Cuse game might be blacked out if it is available locally on CW, etc...you can be a partial cord cutter...tell TW you just want internet and the lifeline package.

I got Brighthouse but I guess your right there are some games on Brighthouse Network, UPN, etc.
Brighthouse is owned by TW but I don't see any lifeline package, just standard (70 ch) or premier (200 ch).

Still might be worth a shot.

An antenna doesn't qualify as a cord and would get you your local CW.
The things you will miss out on are regional sports networks (the various Fox flavors, SNY, YES, etc.) which carry some SU games as well as your local baseball team's games. You'll also miss out on Fox Sports 1&2, NBCSN, etc.. I watch the latter for a few sports and would've missed a bunch of soccer games without the former. It's tempting, though...

I'm used to watching a bunch of shows via DVR (skipping commercials, etc.). I have the luxury of having a dual-tuner OTA DVR which would help some. Unfortunately it uses time-based recording instead of program-based recording.

TexanMark : does the Sling TV package also give one access to TNT (and other stations') on demand services (e.g. via their apps)?

To the original point... ESPN will want to get the ACCN on the sports tiers alongside the SECN. Add in some cross-conference games between the two, that are only available on the home team's conference network, and demand for the network in ACC and SEC footprints will grow.

Unless your ISP is TWC, your ESPN3 access is determined by your Internet service provider not your video service provider.

I got Brighthouse but I guess your right there are some games on Brighthouse Network, UPN, etc.
Brighthouse is owned by TW but I don't see any lifeline package, just standard (70 ch) or premier (200 ch).

Still might be worth a shot.

They don't advertise it...it might go by another name. My Brighthouse TV house in FL has the very basic cable with internet...they said I should get like 20 channels but in reality I get closer to 100 when I autoprogrammed my LED TV.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...costs-with-a-basic-cable-tv-package/index.htm

Last edited:
Bottomline: If you cut the cord or do a modified cord cutting...you will make some sacrifices.

If you are a heavy DVR user...and have a family watching multiple TVs getting Sling TV isn't for you.

To Moontan's point I really hope ESPN does come thru for an ACCN. Obviously the onious is on the ACC to buy back the rights it sold to Fox and Raycom. That is the work ESPN will want done for them instead of ESPN doing it like they did with SEC's teams tier 3 rights.

I think right now ESPN is trimming the fat on some spending i.e. they let Bill Simmons/Keith Olbermann go without paying them good money. If the ACC football keeps improving I think an ACCN could happen a la the SECN, but its going to take time. ESPN won't let the ACC drag way behind the other P5 conferences in revenue as they realize the ACC values the partnership and has little interest in going elsewhere. There is a clause in the ACC contract states that each team will get an additional 2 million per year if the ACCN doesn't materialize from ESPN. So I hope it happens, but if more people cut the cord cable will lose money for ESPN.

I have DTV and admit that it's that time of year where I am craving some Football so I am one of the few who have been watching B1G Network and SEC Network
I can't lie I will put on BTN or SECN if there is a good replay of a game I want to see. As much crap as the Big Ten gets they do the BTN really well.

Thanks Mark, those links were helpful ... I barely watch TV, especially this time of year and feel its such a waste. Even if I could cut it out 6 months of the year it would be great but yes, I do like the DVR.

To Moontan's point I really hope ESPN does come thru for an ACCN. Obviously the onious is on the ACC to buy back the rights it sold to Fox and Raycom. That is the work ESPN will want done for them instead of ESPN doing it like they did with SEC's teams tier 3 rights.

I think right now ESPN is trimming the fat on some spending i.e. they let Bill Simmons/Keith Olbermann go without paying them good money. If the ACC football keeps improving I think an ACCN could happen a la the SECN, but its going to take time. ESPN won't let the ACC drag way behind the other P5 conferences in revenue as they realize the ACC values the partnership and has little interest in going elsewhere. There is a clause in the ACC contract states that each team will get an additional 2 million per year if the ACCN doesn't materialize from ESPN. So I hope it happens, but if more people cut the cord cable will lose money for ESPN.

My point was I don't think an ACC cable network is as likely to succeed long term (or even short term) as well as an ACC app. In fact, one currently comes bundled on Sony DVRs.

My point was I don't think an ACC cable network is as likely to succeed long term (or even short term) as well as an ACC app. In fact, one currently comes bundled on Sony DVRs.
An ACC app won't be as profitable as a channel. As I said before what makes a channel more profitable is that people who don't use it pay for it. While if the ACC has an app only people interested in the content will pay for it. That is the difference and while the app would make the conference money it would be limited for the reason I said.

Bottomline: If you cut the cord or do a modified cord cutting...you will make some sacrifices.

If you are a heavy DVR user...and have a family watching multiple TVs getting Sling TV isn't for you.
Sling TV can also only be on one TV at a time. You wouldn't be able to have 2 ppl watching different shows at once on 2 different TV's.

It wouldnt suprise me all that much to see Netflix get into the sports broadcasting game in the future. They already have a massive amount of subscribers and certainly have the capabilities to make it happen.

Sling TV is fantastic. We love it. $26 bill. No contract. Highly recommend.

I read with interest an interview with ACC Commissioner Swofford recently. He mentioned that if the ACC Cable Channel ultimately does not appear feasible they will look to get "increased rights fees". Currently too the ACC pays each school $2 million extra for every year there is no ACC Cable Channel I have read elsewhere.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-swofford-2015-kickoff-post.html

The Conference overall is a valuable property due both to its teams and the grant of rights and on the open market would get interest from Fox, NBC, and CBS in addition to ESPN/ABC.

While I am a "cord cutter", there are also "cord shavers" (reduced services) and I am also looking forward to the "a la carte model" so one would not have to pay for the BTN and SEC channels, which as a fan of the ACC I have absolutely no interest in supporting.

Last edited:
Cord Cutters...this is your best buy out there. This will work well anywhere out to 50 miles or so. If you add a pre-amp (item #7) it will help. If you want multiple cities you might need a rotor.

It is only good for today. See item #27

http://www.solidsignal.com/Deal-Of-The-Day.asp