Cornell Postgame Thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Postgame Thoughts

And what about the rest of our team?
iffy at best...but usually not a total zero like JT is against top tier athletes on defense. Beekman abused Judah way more than I expected. But at least Judah did put up 33 vs LSU. so its not an every game thing like it is for JT.

not trying to diss JT, I like him, but the difference between his effectiveness vs P5 teams and the rest is extremely stark

if he can find a way to play vs UVA the same way he did vs Cornell, the team will be a lot better for it.

iffy at best...but usually not a total zero like JT is against top tier athletes on defense. Beekman abused Judah way more than I expected. But at least Judah did put up 33 vs LSU. so its not an every game thing like it is for JT.

not trying to diss JT, I like him, but the difference between his effectiveness vs P5 teams and the rest is extremely stark

if he can find a way to play vs UVA the same way he did vs Cornell, the team will be a lot better for it.
No kidding. And outside of Mintz against LSU the entire team has played bad against P5 opponents and a few guys haven't even played well against mid majors.

One of our biggest areas of need is finishing better down low. We are one of the tallest teams in the country but are 155th in at-rim FG%. I really like Maliq but if he could develop a little range to pull his man out of the paint it would greatly help the rest of the team (Naheem's never going to). The problem then is that because Naheem and Maliq never play together, and Benny is unavailable, Justin becomes the tallest guy available to rebound.

Westry healthy is basically inserting Kadary. Love his play style and very similar. Going to be interesting.
Think Westry is
A few thoughts:
  • JT continues to impress w/ his all-around game. He's still hesitant to shoot at times, and he shouldn't be. His misses look good.
  • Really impressed w/ Bell's effort. I counted three hustle blocks. His shooting speaks for itself.
  • Brown does all the little things. Very Dolezaj-esque.
  • I think we're dangerous if Chance gets healthy and acclimated quickly.
  • Overall, I see a lot of positive signs. We have a solid core to build upon and some promising additions lined up for next year.
will Chance take JJ’s minutes?

Westry healthy is basically inserting Kadary. Love his play style and very similar. Going to be interesting.
Bold statement, Westry has proven zero at this level and hasn’t played regularly in almost two years.

I swear this fan base thinks every player is the next “insert player who’s actually good and has done something” with zero logic behind it.

Can the dude play one game first?

No one mentioned Judah's big improvement. In addition to his ridiculous 3pt accuracy he is attacking from different angles, using more of the court and developing a mid-range game. Kudos to Bell and Taylor and Brown.

Yeah, but his defensive effort is just awful. He's gotten worse at that. He's got a big head right now. And he still only had 2 assists in our last game. He got his own, but he has to make buckets for the other guys, too. You don't make the NBA as a PG if you (1) don't play defense, and (2) don't create assists.

Agree, what was Mintz doing bear hugging that Cornell guy? I think they are having issues
on defense on helping, switching - saw JJ in transition also ending up guarding a big man down low who just abused him going to the basket too. He never should have ended up guarding him just like Mintz was in a bad situation trying to guard another player much bigger and taller than him under the basket in that weird foul situation. Are our bigs just slow in transition, lack of defensive communication between our players or are our players switching rather than fighting through screens - leaving bad matchups? It’s a defensive issue regarding our man to man that needs to be addressed. Conversely I wish we set picks, screens creating matchup issues with McLeod on offense to take advantage of his size.

We've had slow footed guys in the past who still got back on defense (Craig Forth and Billy Celuck quickly come to mind ...). I just think that Autry has a lot of teaching still to do with these guys. And some guys need to lead better by example.

The bell movement in practice is far quicker and fast paced. The amount of dribbling in games compared to practice is absurd. Look at how fast the ball moved for Cornell last night. Spacing is also an issue. In games the court is shrinking yet again. That’s not what they are after I promise you

It's too bad we don't have a lightning rod for criticism shooting guard shooting 46% from three that could really help with spacing issues on offense.

That's pretty harsh. You're right, Taylor has mostly feasted on the lesser opponents and had a hard time with more athletic defenders so far. But a lot of that can be helped with offensive movement. He needs more Trevor Cooney in his game, and his PGs need to move the ball and run the offense better.

But if you think back to last year, he only had 1 or 2 really good games all season, including the lesser opponents we played last year. So, I see him making progress. Were Marius Janulis or Jason Cipolla so great at creating their own shots, or was it more that there was ball movement, and a PG to get the ball in position to have an open shot?

It's too bad we don't have a lightning rod for criticism shooting guard shooting 46% from three that could really help with spacing issues on offense.
We had him last year. We had a worse record at this time. He went 1-10 in a loss vs St John's and 1 for 12 in a loss vs Bryant. He didn't help that much.

That's pretty harsh. You're right, Taylor has mostly feasted on the lesser opponents and had a hard time with more athletic defenders so far. But a lot of that can be helped with offensive movement. He needs more Trevor Cooney in his game, and his PGs need to move the ball and run the offense better.

But if you think back to last year, he only had 1 or 2 really good games all season, including the lesser opponents we played last year. So, I see him making progress. Were Marius Janulis or Jason Cipolla so great at creating their own shots, or was it more that there was ball movement, and a PG to get the ball in position to have an open shot?
He is attacking a bit more off the dribble.. He cant beat good defenders but not every team has a good defender at his position as well.

We had him last year. We had a worse record at this time. He went 1-10 in a loss vs St John's and 1 for 12 in a loss vs Bryant. He didn't help that much.

Thankfully his replacement is helping us a ton, or else we'd really be in a bind.

top 25 teams have wings that can face guard JT and he has no answer against a superior athlete. they turn him into a zero out there. at least for now they do.

he's cracked the code on cornell's and colgate's of the world, though
Wonder why you are so upset about JT? He’s certainly not the worst in having poor outings against Gonzaga , Tenn, and VA. He was 40% from 3 against LSU and had 7 rebounds and led the team with 5 assists and 2 steals. Against Tenn he did miss all 4 shots he took but led the team in rebounds (7again) with our next best rebounder being at 4, and again led with 2 steals in this loss. He had a poor game against Gonzaga but was certainly not alone. Against Virginia, his home state, he had a poor shooting game but tied MaliQ with 5 rebounds and led the team with 3 assists, more than either guard.

He’s averaging only 5- 3 point fg attempts/game - 8 fga overall so he’s not chucking but is playing an overall game actually leading SU at 6’6” with 6.2 rebounds/ game and is 3rd on the team following Starling & Mintz‘s 3.6 assists/game with 2.3 assists. He’s found other ways to contribute when he isn’t effective scoring - that’s a problem? Why bash him? Why bash anyone? Just strange how and why fans pick their personal goats and personal favorites on a team they are fans of. No one said he was a big star but you’re blind if you don’t acknowledge how he’s added facets to his game when his shot isn’t falling to help the team.

I really like Maliq but if he could develop a little range to pull his man out of the paint it would greatly help the rest of the team
Yep. I watched him during warmups last night and he was knocking down some threes (no idea how to evaluate it as an in-game jumper though) and he's shooting 90% from the FT Line (very limited attempts). Maybe the next phase in his game.

We always seem to have a lightning rod for criticism shooting guard. It's usually because they're asked (or volunteer) to do too much here. This year's version doesn't do enough outside of shooting 3s. Two ends of the spectrum.

He is attacking a bit more off the dribble.. He cant beat good defenders but not every team has a good defender at his position as well.

And also he and Bell are working on the right thing to add to their game - the pump fake, and then step inside the line, or to the side, for the open shot.

Westry can't get healthy fast enough.
Starling looks beyond lost

Brown playing out of position but doing fairly well. Has to make layups

Copeland playing to many minutes, gets exposed

Benny era about to come to an end

Bell and Taylor were clutch offensively. Defense needs a lot of work

Cuffe needs 3-4 more inches, to much of a tweener

Westry can't get back fast enough

Starling just needs to focus on driving to the hoop. layup or dish.

and nothing else for a few weeks.

Bold statement, Westry has proven zero at this level and hasn’t played regularly in almost two years.

I swear this fan base thinks every player is the next “insert player who’s actually good and has done something” with zero logic behind it.

Can the dude play one game first?
According to Auburn coaches and SU coaches he is a legit player and A+ defender. Your right can he do it in games? Not sure but gives us another potential option perhaps.

justin taylor:

0 points vs tennessee...in 28 minutes!

0 points vs Gonazaga in 26 minutes!

3 points vs UVA in 28 minutes!

like, literally, you cannot make this up!

if Benny did the same ...everyone would call for his benching...oh wait...

I dont have an agenda here...im going off of facts!

is he slightly improving? seems so...

is he anywhere close to good enough yet? nope.

and yeah the pg needs to get him involved...but this about more than just that...he literally cant get a shot off vs those types of teams...and it is a HUGE PROBLEM for a starting forward

especially if you also wanna play guys like mcleod and brown...who offer nothing with the ball as well (not mention non shooters like copeland and starling)

puts the guards in a tough spot. makes it VERY easy to play against.

which is why you are seeing those 3 blowouts that we saw.

at this point, hes a good bench option, imo...for next season, unless he figures it out vs ACC this year, which is possible.

he needs to shoot and he neds to score,...vs every opponent...thats his role.

and yeah the pg needs to get him involved...but this about more than just that...he literally cant get a shot off vs those types of teams...and it is a HUGE PROBLEM for a starting forward

especially if you also wanna play guys like mcleod and brown...who offer nothing with the ball as well

puts the guards in a tough spot.
None of this matters to if he Plays... He is a threat to score anywhere on the court and thats all that matters.. Benny is not. JT does not get left open.. opponents have to know where he is at all times. He spaces the floor. Bell does the same and that is why they play and will play alot. We only have 2 guys that can space the floor consistently. Until teams dont guard JT and he misses alot, he will be out there.

justin taylor:

especially if you also wanna play guys like mcleod and brown...who offer nothing with the ball as well (not mention non shooters like copeland and starling)

at this point, hes a good bench option, imo...for next season, unless he figures it out vs ACC this year, which is possible.

I think this is lazy analysis using stereotypes to typecast a player to be a shooter while failing to realize that is not his main strength, but hey have fun yelling into clouds.

None of this matters to if he Plays... He is a threat to score anywhere on the court and thats all that matters.. Benny is not. JT does not get left open.. opponents have to know where he is at all times. He spaces the floor. Bell does the same and that is why they play and will play alot. We only have 2 guys that can space the floor consistently. Until teams dont guard JT and he misses alot, he will be out there.
spacing is nice but it doesnt win games...

it doesnt even prevent getting blown out

if the player cannot score, he should not play, imo

if they are in your face drive the ball...there's always a counter. cut to the hoop etc

no.

instead just stand around and watch your NIL buddies dribble and play 1 on 1

justin taylor:

Your focus on just one aspect of the game tells me EVERYTHING I need to know about your opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom