Could Calipari be a candidate for for the Lakers job? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Could Calipari be a candidate for for the Lakers job?

:noidea: I think at some point its about something other than money.

Symphony Steve said:
I don't think it's far-fetched at all. Pete Carroll did it, failed in the pros, went back to college, then succeeded in the pros. The LA situation is almost tailor-made for Calipari. Loads of cap room, probably a top 2 pick in the draft, all the endorsement possibilities in Tinsel Town, a rolodex of ex-Kentucky players at his beck and call. Hey, I've talked myself into it. Ladeez & gentlemen: your new Lakers' coach--Coach Cal.
This was my exact same thought process last night when I first heard the job was open.

I think at some point he's going to go...because it's the only thing he hasn't achieved yet. And for hyper driven guys at the top of their field, that matters.

I view Calipari the way I view Nick Saban. A great college coach.

They are good at recruiting and motivating young athletes.

Once they have a more level playing field, they struggle. Not elite X and O guy's.

I only see Calipari taking a job if he has an elite roster. The Minnesota job is gone.

I'm staying away from the Lakers. I suppose he could always end up with Cleveland or the Clips, but the Clips problem is their GM, not the coach.

I view Calipari the way I view Nick Saban. A great college coach.

They are good at recruiting and motivating young athletes.

Once they have a more level playing field, they struggle. Not elite X and O guy's.

I only see Calipari taking a job if he has an elite roster. The Minnesota job is gone.

I'm staying away from the Lakers. I suppose he could always end up with Cleveland or the Clips, but the Clips problem is their GM, not the coach.

The Lakers have cap space I believe. So if he gets some FO control that may sweeten things up.

If the Lakers can come close to the salary he gets at UK I could see him dreaming of how much his huge ego could be stroked in LA.

Lakers could pay more than the UK. Top NBA Coaches makes 10-12 million per year.
Calipari isn't leaving UK any time soon. He loses 5 games a year and recruits like a beast. He handles the UK fanbase and unless he was walking into an NBA job with Lebron James he isn't leaving UK.

Lakers could pay more than the UK. Top NBA Coaches makes 10-12 million per year.
Calipari isn't leaving UK any time soon. He loses 5 games a year and recruits like a beast. He handles the UK fanbase and unless he was walking into an NBA job with Lebron James he isn't leaving UK.

Kentucky is probably the only school that could come close in a bidding war with the Lakers, but I imagine they would still end up on the short end

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think the Laker job is as good a job as it used to be. Outside of Nance, Randle, and Russell that roster is garbage. They aren't winning anything in the near future(3 years) unless they somehow convince KD to go there this summer.

Their best bet is to do a re-build like the Celtics did. Slowly, over time.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think the Laker job is as good a job as it used to be. Outside of Nance, Randle, and Russell that roster is garbage. They aren't winning anything in the near future(3 years) unless they somehow convince KD to go there this summer.

Their best bet is to do a re-build like the Celtics did. Slowly, over time.

Clarkson is a good, young player too.

I think if Durant leaves OKC or even if he only signs a 1 year extension that Russell Westbrook who is from UCLA and lives in LA in the offseason will be a Laker next offseason

The Laker organization needs Jimmy Bust replaced by his competent sister Jeanie.

One reason I thought Derek fisher won't get the LAL job will be Jeanie having more power and listening to Phil Jackson bad mouth him.

I don't think Calipari is that great of a coach. With all the talent he gets every year they should be more dominate. I've always wondered if UK or KU somehow wire transfer money to players to come to their school. I just don't get how they can consistent get the top 1-3 person at each position. It just smells funny. Even on down years UK hauls in a 5 5-star recruits every year.

They did go 39-1 two years ago, played in the championship game a few years ago and won the title a couple years before that.

That's pretty dominate.

Lakers lose their lottery pick to Philly if it isn't top 3.

That will be the drama of the upcoming lottery. If the Lakers lose their pick they might trade D'Angelo Russell or Julius Randle for veterans.

Lakers job has potential with the lottery pick staying and the ability to live in LA and recruiting FAs like that.

Serious question: Is an NBA job less work than a college job? There are more games and the season is longer, but there is no recruiting. I'm not sure how that balances out in terms of number of days on the road in a year, etc. The impression is that recruiting is easy for Cal, but I'm sure he has to put a ton of effort and travel into it. Maybe he loves that part of the job and it is a perk, but maybe he hates it and would be glad to be rid of it. There is also the drama of keeping players eligible and out of the newspaper. This must be a pretty extensive undertaking at a place like UK (or any bigtime college) that would absolutely have to get old after a while. You know these 19-22 year olds in their first experience away from home, first time being big celebrities, first time with a lot of money to throw around are getting into all sorts of foolishness that has to be smoothed over.

Right, I know. I should have said "achieved success in the NBA"...He had a 72-112 record and was fired during his third season.

Cal was meant to coach college kids.

I think it was a foregone conclusion that Ollie wouldn't take the OKC job, but I think the LA job is something he would give strong consideration to. A Crenshaw kid who to me would love the lights of LA. Nice young core, potential top 3 pick, and a boatload of cash to spend.

I fell like Luke Walton could have a decent shot at the job, but I was looking at other possible candidates and came across Coach Cal's name. Is there any way he could leave UK for LA?

On a side note another name I saw that made me literally laugh out loud was Kobe Bryant. I don't know if I could ever see Kobe as the coach type. I could see him getting so frustrated with his team that he would try and check in himself.

One can only hope. Cal will get tired of the college game eventually-it is just a matter of time.

I think it was a foregone conclusion that Ollie wouldn't take the OKC job, but I think the LA job is something he would give strong consideration to. A Crenshaw kid who to me would love the lights of LA. Nice young core, potential top 3 pick, and a boatload of cash to spend.

Man, we can only hope. Maybe that idiot 2-3 zone, not to be mistaken with two3zone will disappear.

I'd be shocked if the Lakers don't pick Luke Walton.