Could recruiting suffer? | Syracusefan.com

Could recruiting suffer?

Alcuse01

Scout Team
Haven't really been on the bball side since the expansion, so unsure if this was talked about already...

But is it possible our bball recruiting could suffer with the move to the acc? We recruit long, big guys who battle in the big east. Guys who play near home which allows for their family/friends to see them live. With the move to the acc, could that actually cause our recrutiing to suffer? Different cities, a different style of play, no massive big east tourney in the garden...

I know it should help our fb, but could it potentially hurt bball?

Esp with B leaving in a few years...

Haven't really been on the bball side since the expansion, so unsure if this was talked about already...

But is it possible our bball recruiting could suffer with the move to the acc? We recruit long, big guys who battle in the big east. Guys who play near home which allows for their family/friends to see them live. With the move to the acc, could that actually cause our recrutiing to suffer? Different cities, a different style of play, no massive big east tourney in the garden...

I know it should help our fb, but could it potentially hurt bball?

Esp with B leaving in a few years...

IMHO, I don't see why recruiting would suffer.

1. They would be playing in the best, most highly visible hoops conference.
2. They would still be playing home games in one of the best hoops venues in the country.
3. They would still get all the TV exposure they want.
4. There's a good chance that SU will still schedule the more visible BE teams left behind, i.e., Georgetown, Louisville, UConn (unless they get an ACC invite).
5. JB will leave anyway in the not-too-distant future, regardless of conference affiliation. So that shouldn't change anything.
6. Even though it won't be every year, the Garden will be in the rotation for the ACC Tourney. Count on it!
7. It will still basically be an Eastern conference, so still close enough to home for eastern recruits.

All in all, what's not to like for any recruit? If they wanted to play for SU, the ACC move won't change anything for 90+% of them.

...and as importantly, the 'Cuse move was a no brainer...the BE as we know it is going to implode...and not be as strong as it is now or was over past several years. 'Cuse leaving is an important move for further success...if we lose a few recruits over the next several years...so be it...but I believe it will not result in losing recruits but rather gaining a some

Well said Cusey. Main point being when SU and Pitt leave, we will make the ACC the premier basketball conference in the nation. We recruit a lot of players from the Baltimore/DC area, and a LOT of those kids wind up in the ACC now, with the likes of UNC/Duke/Maryland. With Villanova looking at becoming a glorified DePaul, I think we can take over Philly recruiting - an area we've done well in with Hakim, Scoop, Jackson, Dion etc.

I think we hold onto our strongholds, and even expand into some areas like Virginia/NC

Sure if we stayed in the Big East. We are making a BIGGER name for ourself ;)

what's changed in our recruiting is that we are now in the mix for the top recruits in the country; these kids are the ones with the most choices. Our recruiting history was to take the players who were under the radar types and were often overlooked by other schools.
Our basic recruiting territory is that which falls within the area of The ACC.
Some players wanted to play in the ACC and we were not able to get in with them; now we can.
The main reason our recruiting will flourish is Mike Hopkins.
Time and time again when a recruit is being interviewed and asked who is recruiting you the hardest; the answer always includes Hopkins. We will do quite well.

Here's the flipside of this question - will SU and Pitt going to the ACC help Duke/UNC recruiting? Coaches can now say "come play in the best bball conference... oh and it's for UNC"

This is all crazy talk. For as long as JB is the head coach, we are going to be fine with recruiting. Hopefully Hopkins can continue the tradition - the good nws on this front is that with our joining the ACC and the BE clearly becoming a crap conference, Hop's job becomes significantly easier. Schools like Nova and Cinnci, which once upon a time got a decent recruit or two, should fall off the map.

We are in good shape.

This is all crazy talk. For as long as JB is the head coach, we are going to be fine with recruiting. Hopefully Hopkins can continue the tradition - the good nws on this front is that with our joining the ACC and the BE clearly becoming a crap conference, Hop's job becomes significantly easier. Schools like Nova and Cinnci, which once upon a time got a decent recruit or two, should fall off the map.

We are in good shape.

Also wanted to add - WVU has success recruiting in NYC and surrounding areas... De'Sean Butler, Devin Ebanks, Kevin Jones etc. Maybe we start getting those guys

Also wanted to add - WVU has success recruiting in NYC and surrounding areas... De'Sean Butler, Devin Ebanks, Kevin Jones etc. Maybe we start getting those guys

Its crazy to think we really aren't getting many guys from NYC, being the best basketball team in the north east. I know this has been highly debated...is the general consensus that the NYC players aren't as good as MD/Virginia/Carolina guys?

My knee-jerk reaction is: how would our recruiting have been affected if we didn't jump? A lot of unknowns, but the fact that the BE looks to eventually become a Conference USA-type organization would leave us in a worse position for recruiting. And don't say that is a self-fulfilling prophecy because we are so arrogant to believe that Syracuse and Pitt staying would have kept the BE together, because if we declined there are other teams the ACC would have poached, and we'd be SOL.

The question for me is not how jumping will affect our recruiting, but how not jumping would affect our recruiting...

And one other thing: you still have to look at this through the eyes of a 14-year-old, not a middle aged blogger. Kids follow trends and take to heart whispers of a BE breakup, and that would have a huge affect. A kid and his parents are not going to be excited about committing to a conference like that, especially after TCU joins and is now (reportedly) reconsidering. Recruits don't want that.

Its crazy to think we really aren't getting many guys from NYC, being the best basketball team in the north east. I know this has been highly debated...is the general consensus that the NYC players aren't as good as MD/Virginia/Carolina guys?

NYC kids have been overhyped and overrated during the past 10 years outside of an few exceptions here n there.

I beleive, and Francis and Jake can correct me if I am wrong but the street agent situation is the most l;ikely culprit.

I beleive, and Francis and Jake can correct me if I am wrong but the street agent situation is the most l;ikely culprit.

NYC and Chicago are neck n neck in that department.

And one other thing: you still have to look at this through the eyes of a 14-year-old, not a middle aged blogger. Kids follow trends and take to heart whispers of a BE breakup, and that would have a huge affect. A kid and his parents are not going to be excited about committing to a conference like that, especially after TCU joins and is now (reportedly) reconsidering. Recruits don't want that.

Good points -

I guess what I was really getting at was we (and other BE teams) recruit for the most part, a certain kind of player that not only fits our team needs and design, but within the BE style of play. Wondering if we'll still target that player/style or if it will have to adjust (at which point could ... effect our recruiting) We've had plenty of success getting the guys that fit our style, fit the zone, and the Big East (bump and bruise).

*I'm in no way saying we're not going to be one of the top teams...

This is tough to say Alcuse...

Cuse has always been a top 3 school in the county at putting SF's and PF's in the NBA. We have sent over 20 in the last 50 years thats a Amazing Stat. Melo, Warrick, Greene, Wes Johnson, Dnic and soon Kris Joseph in recent years

As for PGs we have went with a melting pot from the tall slow it down style of Jason Hart/Edelin to the super fast flashy Sherm/Flynn. To a true SG at point winning a tite for us in 03.

Then you go to center We have had AO/Rick types bump it inside strong, Seikely/Fab Melo(in the future) types who have a short jump shot and bump it inside strong, to Etan Thomas and Mcneil types who are awesome shot blockers. Skinny types that cover lots of ground like Keita or Forth.

Then you go to SG. Well we have had true gunners like Gerry and Dnic(calling him a SG in this one), and Rautins. We have had true drivers like Dion or Pace, and we have had mixes of both like Duany or Devendorf.

Point is we have had a melting pot of different style types but Its a matter of how they can fit into a team chemisty. If anything being in the NEW ACC we will get the same caliber 4 and 5 stars.

- last year we had no true outside shooter no low post threat to play with Dion KJO and Fair off the dribble
- Flynns sophmore season we were undersized at point and SF and compensating for devendorfs lack of sliding d.
-In 2010 we had no player to take over a game or put the team on their back, BUT we did have great chemistry nice 6th men and the balence to put us at a number one ranking.
-The 03 team we had the guys to hit big shots, melo to put the team on his back, three outside shooters one who played PG, a PF who banged and scored from midrange and in, monster rebounding and a defense that got back and featured a nice press.

IMHO, I don't see why recruiting would suffer.

4. There's a good chance that SU will still schedule the more visible BE teams left behind, i.e., Georgetown, Louisville, UConn (unless they get an ACC invite).

Why do people assume this? While I could see SU continuing its series with Georgetown based upon Dr. Gross's comments about being friends with their AD, I see no reason why St. Johns, Seton Hall, Rutgers or Villanova would want to schedule SU. By moving to the ACC, Syracuse has reduced its exposure in NYC and Philly. It would be stupid for someone like Lavin or Wright to invite JB and co down to play in front of recruits in those areas.

Since I am not sure where to post this, I will do so here since i flows from the above. SU will not be well served in the ACC playing in a "Northern" football division. The best case scenario for SU would be placed in a division with one or both of BC and Pitt, and at least one of Miami or FSU (i prefer Miami) and GA Tech. The development of the program requires the continued mining of under the radar Florida and Georgia prospects. SU needs to play those teams to maximize exposure to fertile Florida and Georgia.

I always got the feeling...
When you talk basketball Duke and Syracuse are either loved or hated.
North Carolina is usually loved because of jordan and all the frontrunners.
Pitt is not cared about as much because they always flame out in march.
All the other schools are low low end majors.

As for Football.
If things go the right way and Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Miami, VT and now Florida state replacing WV can get back to where they once were I definetly can see the top notch teams of the ACC being better then the old big east already.

Why do people assume this? While I could see SU continuing its series with Georgetown based upon Dr. Gross's comments about being friends with their AD, I see no reason why St. Johns, Seton Hall, Rutgers or Villanova would want to schedule SU. By moving to the ACC, Syracuse has reduced its exposure in NYC and Philly. It would be stupid for someone like Lavin or Wright to invite JB and co down to play in front of recruits in those areas.

Since I am not sure where to post this, I will do so here since i flows from the above. SU will not be well served in the ACC playing in a "Northern" football division. The best case scenario for SU would be placed in a division with one or both of BC and Pitt, and at least one of Miami or FSU (i prefer Miami) and GA Tech. The development of the program requires the continued mining of under the radar Florida and Georgia prospects. SU needs to play those teams to maximize exposure to fertile Florida and Georgia.

I probably should have clarified that 4th point I made a bit more, Shrm. Your counter is valid and well-taken. What I really meant is that we will probably schedule some of the more visible "left-behind" teams on the same basis that we currently schedule other out-of -conference games which may not be on a yearly basis. For example, we may see Villanova or Georgtown, etc. once a year, but not both teams. To put it even more simply, I think we'll continue to see at least one BE team once a season, whether it's at our place or theirs.

My knee-jerk reaction is: how would our recruiting have been affected if we didn't jump? A lot of unknowns, but the fact that the BE looks to eventually become a Conference USA-type organization would leave us in a worse position for recruiting. And don't say that is a self-fulfilling prophecy because we are so arrogant to believe that Syracuse and Pitt staying would have kept the BE together, because if we declined there are other teams the ACC would have poached, and we'd be SOL.

The question for me is not how jumping will affect our recruiting, but how not jumping would affect our recruiting...
There are no other Big East teams that could win unanimous support from the ACC. UCon and Rutgirls are on the fence. Everyone else is out of consideration, except Notre Dame. Boston College will oppose UCon and they are an unclean program. Rutgers is Rutgers.

I probably should have clarified that 4th point I made a bit more, Shrm. Your counter is valid and well-taken. What I really meant is that we will probably schedule some of the more visible "left-behind" teams on the same basis that we currently schedule other out-of -conference games which may not be on a yearly basis. For example, we may see Villanova or Georgtown, etc. once a year, but not both teams. To put it even more simply, I think we'll continue to see at least one BE team once a season, whether it's at our place or theirs.

I do not think so. I am afraid we now have to kiss those old rivalries goodbye. There will be no love left for SU and Pitt with the remaining BE teams. How many times has any BE team played BC, Miami or Virginia Tech since they left? We scoffed at those guys for leaving. I hope we make out better in the ACC than those teams. The move certainly did not enhance those programs.

The compensating factor for us is that new rivalries with Duke and UNC can be hatched and the Pitt battlegrounds will remain fertile. Overall it should help recruiting, unless we fall into the cellar. If that happens, we may rue the day.

It’s a scary jump. I hear what Rick Pitino is saying. I think it will be good for us, but there are no guarantees.

I do not think so. I am afraid we now have to kiss those old rivalries goodbye. There will be no love left for SU and Pitt with the remaining BE teams. How many times has any BE team played BC, Miami or Virginia Tech since they left? We scoffed at those guys for leaving. I hope we make out better in the ACC than those teams. The move certainly did not enhance those programs.

The compensating factor for us is that new rivalries with Duke and UNC can be hatched and the Pitt battlegrounds will remain fertile. Overall it should help recruiting, unless we fall into the cellar. If that happens, we may rue the day.

It’s a scary jump. I hear what Rick Pitino is saying. I think it will be good for us, but there are no guarantees.
I think Nova, StJ's and GTown will want to continue to play us, at least on a semi-regular basis, because the coaches and kids want to play in the Dome. If the BE becomes the A-10, we may not want to play them as much, because of the risk/reward ratio.

Miami, VT and BC are nowhere near Syracuse or Pitts level of basketball. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom