Current Offensive Philosophy? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Current Offensive Philosophy?

TheCusian said:
I think that if Shafer thought things were not going to get better - that if he had lost faith in McDonald - he should have done exactly what he did.

It's one thing to can the OC, and quite another to want to install a brand new system. If he's doing the latter I've lost confidence in him entirely.

dollarbill44 said:
...regardless of whether the performance is good or bad. Let's face it, there will be people calling for heads no matter what. Heck, on the hoops board, people have been calling for Boeheim s head for years.

I've never called for Boeheim's head. I can judge coaches all on their own merits, thank you very much.

Scooch said:
It's one thing to can the OC, and quite another to want to install a brand new system. If he's doing the latter I've lost confidence in him entirely.

What if it wasn't just McDonald - but the system too - that he lost faith in?

I thought the move signaled a "I don't think this is the right direction"...

Or he doesn't really care about the offensive system, only the person running it. If it requires a complete change so be it. How hard can this offense stuff be, really? Go get us some points!

We just signed a blue chip kicker, a blue chip long snapper, and some solid defensive recruits. The plan is clear. Punt inside the 10, force a turnover, and kick field goals. Win 12-7.

:D

TheCusian said:
What if it wasn't just McDonald - but the system too - that he lost faith in? I thought the move signaled a "I don't think this is the right direction"...

Like I said, that's terribly disconcerting. The entire reason Shafer was hired to replace Marrone was for continuity. So he blows up the offense 18 months after he starts his tenure? What was the point then?

Scooch said:
Like I said, that's terribly disconcerting. The entire reason Shafer was hired to replace Marrone was for continuity. So he blows up the offense 18 months after he starts his tenure? What was the point then?

The defense hasn't skipped a beat ;).

TheCusian said:
The defense hasn't skipped a beat ;).

Haha. That's fantastic... if we were playing in 1985.

Scooch said:
Haha. That's fantastic... if we were playing in 1985.

Yup ;).

Best we can do is hope Lester is a revelation - we need points.

Internet Poster #1: I have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV.

Internet Poster # 2: I also have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV.

SS: I have a lot of respect for Syracuse fans. They are hard nosed and I want to work my arse off for them.

Internet Poster # 2: I still have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV. But we should fire our coach.
:rolling::rolling::bang::bat:

Executive summary of the current offensive philosophy: run, run, pass, punt. ;)

Scooch said:
I've never called for Boeheim's head. I can judge coaches all on their own merits, thank you very much.

I don't believe I said anything about you in my post. My point was that there are posters on here who will want a new coaching staff even I'd the offense is very good next year. They will say that any success was in spite of the "meatheads", not because if them.

dollarbill44 said:
I don't believe I said anything about you in my post. My point was that there are posters on here who will want a new coaching staff even I'd the offense is very good next year. They will say that any success was in spite of the "meatheads", not because if them.

So what?

Wouldn't it be freakin' awesome if our biggest headache was dealing with posters who want the staff gone even though the offense was great?!

Better than the decade of offensive suckitude we've had the privilege of enduring?

I have also had a good time reading this thread. It's amazing how many people on here know exactly how everything works in Shafer 's program despite not knowing anything about how things actually work in Shafer's program.

Agree. Perhaps winning only 3 games was part of the plan? Maybe it was supposed to be 2 games, but Villanova screwed it up by missing that chip shot FG, and then on their dumb 2 point conversion play call.

I mean, we really don't know.

Have you watched football this year? When was the last time you saw an honest to goodness huddle? Most everyone is running a no-huddle, get your plays from the sideline offense - unless they are up big and running clock.

It's not been communication - it's execution and injuries (and having a new OC running the old OC's playbook and a little freshman QB issue).
part of execution is communication. yes our fast paced offense worked very well for us didn't it. as for injuries---i ask again why so many in the past years??? please don't say that football, we are a national outlier in devastation. either its coaching techniques, (or lack thereof) or the s&c needs to be reviewed. this team had no cohesion, and desperatly needed time to keep focus on communication and execution. they need to crawl before they could walk. as it was, offensively, they never learned to walk, and coaching had a lot to do with it. yes a freshman qb running no huddle with himself and players that are confused---thats a great idea. yes,i watch a lot of football including being a sth,(which i am not renewing)----do you understand what you are watching???

Everyone can stop worrying. Axe declared tonight that he's impressed with Lester's system. We can focus our concerns on other areas for the 2015 season.

Full_Rebar said:
Everyone can stop worrying. Axe declared tonight that he's impressed with Lester's system. We can focus our concerns on other areas for the 2015 season.

We don't have much choice. No use in worrying.

tipphill said:
part of execution is communication. yes our fast paced offense worked very well for us didn't it. as for injuries---i ask again why so many in the past years??? please don't say that football, we are a national outlier in devastation. either its coaching techniques, (or lack thereof) or the s&c needs to be reviewed. this team had no cohesion, and desperatly needed time to keep focus on communication and execution. they need to crawl before they could walk. as it was, offensively, they never learned to walk, and coaching had a lot to do with it. yes a freshman qb running no huddle with himself and players that are confused---thats a great idea. yes,i watch a lot of football including being a sth,(which i am not renewing)----do you understand what you are watching???

I thought for a minute that "sth" was shorthand for Sith, and it all made sense for a moment.

I thought for a minute that "sth" was shorthand for Sith, and it all made sense for a moment.
i guess thats what i mean by communication, maybe now you get it.or does it still not make sense. i guess we will have to have a huddle to communicate effectively--its all making sense to me now.

With all the rumored changes in SU's offensive direction it has occurred to me that the program would feel a lot more stable if the head coach had an offensive philosophy he wanted to build toward rather than seemingly allow his OC to determine this direction...So in two years if Lester isn't working out does this change again and again subject the program to another shift in offensive philosophy?
As a defensive minded head coach, one would think that he would have an idea about the kind of offense his team should play. How about the kind of offense that you hate to coach against? What does that look like…and who knows how to teach it?