Cuse Thread on Baylor Board | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse Thread on Baylor Board

Yes it did... Tom Friedman had to have about 5-6 stitches. No way to explain aggies. You can be around one of them and he is ok...you get two or more together and they turn into some sort of idiot cult.

I have a half-brother who is an Aggie, and living in Houston area, I work with a lot of them. Our company's Chief Accounting Officer, however, is a knowledgeable Baylor alum, so we talk occasionally about the Baylor team. He goes to their games often.

I have a half-brother who is an Aggie, and living in Houston area, I work with a lot of them. Our company's Chief Accounting Officer, however, is a knowledgeable Baylor alum, so we talk occasionally about the Baylor team. He goes to their games often.

In Texas for those that don't know...(just my opinion)

UT: Popular with the older folks, fan base is most liberal of all TX fan bases...fading of late and feeling insecure...called "T-sips or Tea-sips" by Aggies and others.

TAMU: Most conservative fan base other than Baylor, rural fan base...most likely to drive a $60k pickup truck and farm...SEC invite was a big to UT for the Longhorn Network Arrogance. Detractors call them a cult.

TCU and SMU: SMU (Dallas) is more Big Hair than TCU (Ft Worth)...both run on oil and bank money. Both private...TCU won the coaching lottery and reinvigorated their program 15 years ago. SMU throws a great tailgate but money can't buy them a team or a league. Both private church related schools are much more liberal than Baylor.

Baylor: Most religious/conservative (Baptist) of the three private church related Texas schools. Located in Waco...city has taken many hits with bad publicity but really is starting to become more cosmopolitan. Baylor hit a home run with Briles and it yielded a new stadium and Top 15-20 program status. Detractors call them a cult.

Houston: Urban trying hard to join the big boy club...will probably get there within 5 years. Called Cougar High by rivals for having easy admissions and a commuter school rep...actually they are becoming much bigger in research. Sleeping giant...like Rutgers.

Rice: Smart school I think plays Football still

UTSA: Trying to shed commuter school label...most likely to jump into the AAC if Houston leaves

Texas St.: Party school, located too close to UT to become a big time program.

UTEP: Located 50 miles from where the aliens live.

UNT: who cares...

Last edited:
As a new Syracuse fan... what school do you despise the most? Who am I suppose to add to my dislike list? At Baylor we despise a&m, even though they are no longer in our conference. One of the happiest days in my life is when they left. I would guess TCU is at the top of our current Big12 list.

Anyone who doesn't hate Penn State has no soul.

UT: Popular with the older folks, fan base is most liberal of all TX fan bases...fading of late and feeling insecure...called "T-sips or Tea-sips" by Aggies and others.

TAMU: Most conservative fan base other than Baylor, rural fan base...most likely to drive a $60k pickup truck and farm...SEC invite was a big to UT for the Longhorn Network Arrogance. Detractors call them a cult.

TCU and SMU: SMU (Dallas) is more Big Hair than TCU (Ft Worth)...both run on oil and bank money. Both private...TCU won the coaching lottery and reinvigorated their program 15 years ago. SMU throws a great tailgate but money can't buy them a team or a league. Both private church related schools are much more liberal than Baylor.

Baylor: Most religious/conservative (Baptist) of the three private church related Texas schools. Located in Waco...city has taken many hits with bad publicity but really is starting to become more cosmopolitan. Baylor hit a home run with Briles and it yielded a new stadium and Top 15-20 program status. Detractors call them a cult.

Houston: Urban trying hard to join the big boy club...will probably get there within 5 years. Called Cougar High by rivals for having easy admissions and a commuter school rep...actually they are becoming much bigger in research. Sleeping giant...like Rutgers.

UTSA: Trying to shed commuter school label...most likely to jump into the AAC if Houston leaves

Add:

Lamar: Nickname - Lame-er. Definition of redneck, wants to play big boy football but puts no real effort into anything (read $$$)

Also, TAMU wanted to leave the UT ties when Arkansas left the SWAC for the SEC but UT (with Baylor educated Governor) blocked the move.

Both UT and TAMU have immense wealth based on the oil lands held in trust to fund each school. Both schools have massive amounts of oil (or otherwise) rich alumni who donate heavily. Explains why Baylor, TCU, SMU, Rice and Houston will probably never reach the elite status of the former two but they should do well for the long haul.

You pretty much nailed it...good review... Baylor also has lots of lawyers which means politicians and influence.

U of H has a much more interesting football history than most realize.
  1. In the last 10 years Houston has been the 20th winningest FBS program with a 88-44 record.
  2. HOF coach Bill Yeoman made the veer offense famous.
  3. Jack Pardee played the run and shoot with Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware.
  4. Art Briles who played for Yeoman, led the Cougars to two consecutive Conference USA titles.
  5. Kevin Sumlin was 3rd, 1st, 3rd and 1st in his four year at UH and ranked 20th in the AP poll in his last year. Houston scored over 70 points three times during Sumlin's tenure and broke numerous offensive passing records behind the NCAA's all-time leading passer Case Keenum.
  6. Tom Herman went 13-1, including a Peach Bowl victory over FSU.
  7. Houston has gone to a bowl in 7 of the last 9 seasons.
  8. Houston was a member of the old Southwestern Conference for 37 years winning the conference championship 4 times.
  9. The Cougars have new 40,000 seat $128 million on campus stadium.
  10. CFB HOF Inductees: Bill Yeoman, Andre Ware, Jack Pardee, Wilson Whitley.
Houston is a hotbed of CFB rrecruiting and has made a huge commitment to HC Tom Herman. If there is one program that is likely to advance to the P5 it is probably the Cougars.

U of H has a much more interesting football history than most realize.
  1. In the last 10 years Houston has been the 20th winningest FBS program with a 88-44 record.
  2. HOF coach Bill Yeoman made the veer offense famous.
  3. Jack Pardee played the run and shoot with Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware.
  4. Art Briles who played for Yeoman, led the Cougars to two consecutive Conference USA titles.
  5. Kevin Sumlin was 3rd, 1st, 3rd and 1st in his four year at UH and ranked 20th in the AP poll in his last year. Houston scored over 70 points three times during Sumlin's tenure and broke numerous offensive passing records behind the NCAA's all-time leading passer Case Keenum.
  6. Tom Herman went 13-1, including a Peach Bowl victory over FSU.
  7. Houston has gone to a bowl in 7 of the last 9 seasons.
  8. Houston was a member of the old Southwestern Conference for 37 years winning the conference championship 4 times.
  9. The Cougars have new 40,000 seat $128 million on campus stadium.
  10. CFB HOF Inductees: Bill Yeoman, Andre Ware, Jack Pardee, Wilson Whitley.
Houston is a hotbed of CFB rrecruiting and has made a huge commitment to HC Tom Herman. If there is one program that is likely to advance to the P5 it is probably the Cougars.

I would say the 2 that are at the top of many lists to enter the P5 would be Cincinnati and Houston, aside from ND of course.

As a new Syracuse fan... what school do you despise the most? Who am I suppose to add to my dislike list? At Baylor we despise a&m, even though they are no longer in our conference. One of the happiest days in my life is when they left. I would guess TCU is at the top of our current Big12 list.

Va Tech would be at the top of my HATE list. Unfortunately we don't play them every year. Since joining the ACC, however, I'm starting to get a distaste for Clemson and their fans. Put it this way, I'll be rooting for 'Bama big time in the championship game. Roll Tide!

Va Tech would be at the top of my HATE list. Unfortunately we don't play them every year. Since joining the ACC, however, I'm starting to get a distaste for Clemson and their fans. Put it this way, I'll be rooting for 'Bama big time in the championship game. Roll Tide!
I guess I am pulling for Clemson...get tired of the SEC hoopla..

texascpa said:
Where do you work? What city?

TexanMark said:
In Texas for those that don't know...(just my opinion) UT: Popular with the older folks, fan base is most liberal of all TX fan bases...fading of late and feeling insecure...called "T-sips or Tea-sips" by Aggies and others. TAMU: Most conservative fan base other than Baylor, rural fan base...most likely to drive a $60k pickup truck and farm...SEC invite was a big to UT for the Longhorn Network Arrogance. Detractors call them a cult. TCU and SMU: SMU (Dallas) is more Big Hair than TCU (Ft Worth)...both run on oil and bank money. Both private...TCU won the coaching lottery and reinvigorated their program 15 years ago. SMU throws a great tailgate but money can't buy them a team or a league. Both private church related schools are much more liberal than Baylor. Baylor: Most religious/conservative (Baptist) of the three private church related Texas schools. Located in Waco...city has taken many hits with bad publicity but really is starting to become more cosmopolitan. Baylor hit a home run with Briles and it yielded a new stadium and Top 15-20 program status. Detractors call them a cult. Houston: Urban trying hard to join the big boy club...will probably get there within 5 years. Called Cougar High by rivals for having easy admissions and a commuter school rep...actually they are becoming much bigger in research. Sleeping giant...like Rutgers. Rice: Smart school I think plays Football still UTSA: Trying to shed commuter school label...most likely to jump into the AAC if Houston leaves Texas St.: Party school, located too close to UT to become a big time program. UTEP: Located 50 miles from where the aliens live. UNT: who cares...
you nailed this. One other thing to note. Texas state alumni never admit they went to school there and they are frequently the most boisterous and obnoxious Texas Longhorn fans there wannabes.

Do they really use the term "cult" to describe a team in Waco? Is that slamming Baylor trying to make a David Koresh and Branch Dividian connection or just a really bad choice of words?

BTW, whenever I think of Texas A&M, the two things that immediately come to mind are the musical The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (where they are prominently featured in a number) and a sign I remember from the 1988 bowl game against the Fighting Irish where an ND fan added "e"s to both sides of the A&M logo. Quite the visual!

... and a sign I remember from the 1988 bowl game against the Fighting Irish where an ND fan added "e"s to both sides of the A&M logo. Quite the visual!
Fans of other Texas schools have been known to do that over the years. I saw it on several bumper stickers while I was a resident of the Lonestar State.

Do they really use the term "cult" to describe a team in Waco? Is that slamming Baylor trying to make a David Koresh and Branch Dividian connection or just a really bad choice of words?

BTW, whenever I think of Texas A&M, the two things that immediately come to mind are the musical The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (where they are prominently featured in a number) and a sign I remember from the 1988 bowl game against the Fighting Irish where an ND fan added "e"s to both sides of the A&M logo. Quite the visual!

I have heard Cult used to describe both TAMU and Baylor around sports fans in Texas. I don't use the term for Baylor myself in describing anything negative...other than describing Briles Offensive system and the coaching tree as part of a "Cult".

I think the detractors say "Cult" as a result of the school being associated with the conservative Baptists and the whole Branch Davidian thing...not sure though...just know it has been used.

I have heard Cult used to describe both TAMU and Baylor around sports fans in Texas. I don't use the term for Baylor myself in describing anything negative...other than describing Briles Offensive system and the coaching tree as part of a "Cult".

I think the detractors say "Cult" as a result of the school being associated with the conservative Baptists and the whole Branch Davidian thing...not sure though...just know it has been used.
Oh I wasn't implying that you were the genesis of the term, or doubting that some have used it. It just seems kind of creepy in this instance due to what went down there.

It just seems kind of creepy in this instance due to what went down there.
Dino introduced the term to Syracuse, so I just roll with it.
You're either a member or you're not. I'm going through my initiation as we speak.

Dino introduced the term to Syracuse, so I just roll with it.
You're either a member or you're not. I'm going through my initiation as we speak.

I have no problem with him using it to describe the system at all. I just wasn't sure if non fans of Baylor were using the word in a negative way because of the actual cult that had the standoff in Waco. I've used the term to describe PSU fans myself. It just struck me as odd or ironic or whatever since an honest to goodness cult resided there. That's all. I didn't mean to come across as trying to sound too PC or anything. If Johnstown had a college football team I'd probably ask the same question ;)

TexanMark said:
In Texas for those that don't know...(just my opinion) UT: Popular with the older folks, fan base is most liberal of all TX fan bases...fading of late and feeling insecure...called "T-sips or Tea-sips" by Aggies and others. TAMU: Most conservative fan base other than Baylor, rural fan base...most likely to drive a $60k pickup truck and farm...SEC invite was a big to UT for the Longhorn Network Arrogance. Detractors call them a cult. TCU and SMU: SMU (Dallas) is more Big Hair than TCU (Ft Worth)...both run on oil and bank money. Both private...TCU won the coaching lottery and reinvigorated their program 15 years ago. SMU throws a great tailgate but money can't buy them a team or a league. Both private church related schools are much more liberal than Baylor. Baylor: Most religious/conservative (Baptist) of the three private church related Texas schools. Located in Waco...city has taken many hits with bad publicity but really is starting to become more cosmopolitan. Baylor hit a home run with Briles and it yielded a new stadium and Top 15-20 program status. Detractors call them a cult. Houston: Urban trying hard to join the big boy club...will probably get there within 5 years. Called Cougar High by rivals for having easy admissions and a commuter school rep...actually they are becoming much bigger in research. Sleeping giant...like Rutgers. Rice: Smart school I think plays Football still UTSA: Trying to shed commuter school label...most likely to jump into the AAC if Houston leaves Texas St.: Party school, located too close to UT to become a big time program. UTEP: Located 50 miles from where the aliens live. UNT: who cares...

What about TTech?

Hate list (short version - the Sinister Seven)

Virginia Tech
Clemson
Boston College
NC State
Notre Dame
Penn St.
Rutgers
*Any hate list that doesn't include WVU is living a lie.

*I'd also add UConn's existence to the list. Sure, I don't really care about the football team per se, but I loath the school. They're like Rutgers, only more relevant (i.e. at least they have basketball)

*I don't "hate" either PITT or BC, but I see them as rivals. They're essentially the inverse of RU and UConn.

*PSU is, by every reasonable definition of the name, the great evil.

*Anybody that lived through the 80's and/or 90's pretty much *has* to add the []_[] to the hate list. Otherwise, pick your least favorite of Clemson, FSU, and NCSU. They all stink (I'm trying to refrain from harsh language).

Penn State, Virginia Tech, Miami, and West Virginia would be on my Mt. Rushmore of hate. These are the only opponents that have really moved the needle of hate against us in my lifetime. We dislike BC, but it's not at the same level. We've played Pitt forever, but we're almost never both good at the same time. We don't like Rutgers or UConn, but that's mainly because they're scrubby little programs with delusional fanbases that had asswipe coaches(Edsall and Schiano). But they've never been good enough to really care about, and now that they're not in our league I couldn't care less.

Penn State was a yearly matchup right up until we started beating them and the series ended in 1990. We only recently played them again. Throw in all their issues...they're just kind of disgusting all around.

Virginia Tech was a very good rivalry from the mid 90's to the early 2000's. We played a lot of big games against them, battled for the BE title many times, had some great games and some embarrassing blowouts(both ways), their coach whined and made excuses every time we beat them, and their fans were just a different breed of weirdness. I felt like they were starting to be solidified as "THE rivalry" game for us, but this suddenly ended when they left the Big East in 2003. I was really hoping we'd get in the same division as them in the ACC so we could rekindle the rivalry.

Miami - who doesn't hate Miami? They were the program we most wanted to beat in the 90's when we were good and felt like we were on the verge of being a major powerhouse, but we usually came up short against them. Throw in that they're also disgusting like Penn State, and they're very easy to hate.

West Virginia was a longtime rival that lasted right up until the demise of the Big East. There were some GREAT games in this series, and some heated moments(bench clearing brawl in '92, their idiot AD Oliver Luck popping off about us and saying he'd rather have Navy in the Big East over us after it came out we were leaving, etc.).
There aren't words that do justice to how much I loath Oliver Luck.

What about TTech?
Tech is an entity unto themselves.. pretty much Cowboys and farmers... not a great education reputation. I personally like them, even though I hear their younger generation is rude, drunk and obnoxious. They have had some great years in football and women's basketball. They are located in Lubbock, Tx which is out in West Texas with not much else around. Coach Briles got his first college job there!

What about TTech?
TexasBlech! Mainly kids not good enough to make it into one of the better schools athletically/academically (UT, TAMU, Baylor, SMU, TCS, Rice, or even Houston). Most of the grads I have worked with are a little to proud for insubstantial success. They beat up pansies, win a middle of the road game here and there and lose to the big boys; still better than Rutgers but not good enough to put up with their obnoxiousness.

TexasBlech! Mainly kids not good enough to make it into one of the better schools athletically/academically (UT, TAMU, Baylor, SMU, TCS, Rice, or even Houston). Most of the grads I have worked with are a little to proud for insubstantial success. They beat up pansies, win a middle of the road game here and there and lose to the big boys; still better than Rutgers but not good enough to put up with their obnoxiousness.
You shouldn't hold back - let us know how you feel. ;)

ok boys...I have twin niece's from Dallas. One goes to Baylor and the other to Texas Tech so be careful about the educational slamming taking place