Dan Mullen | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member of the Board of Directors of Orange United.

IMG_7271.jpeg

He is the favorite because everyone else is higher than 400
Example -1200 your 1-8 more likely to be the favorite than +400. Which would be 4-1 odds. Your payoff at -1200 is less than +400 because your are the favorite. At +400 you’re considered a dog, which its pay off is a wise investment. If it hits . Come on man, you even gamble?

If so it's because they are about to write the ACC the largest checks they have ever received or ...actually I don't believe there is an "or". So far the GoR is bulletproof. Maybe a couple teams try to negotiate out around 2032 or something.
They aren't going anywhere

They aren't going anywhere
I quite agree. If you want to know why those 3 voted no, the attached article about SMU has it. Their BoT Chairman (whose personal assets start with the letter B not M - he has given more than $100 million but do not lose hope: at age 40 he was contributing only $100 a year) knows the reason. They were holding out for more $$$ from the Conference in exchange for a "yes" vote. I guess that is kind of a shakedown to use that street lingo.

Oh, and this is a really interesting article. I read all of it with amazement. The SMU AD (a UNC grad) has some sense too: "Every league has its high-resourced and low-resourced schools. Just because you’re a high-resource school doesn’t mean you win." This is so true.

Oh, and batten down the hatches. These guys will have the best NIL program in the Conference. You have been warned.

I quite agree. If you want to know why those 3 voted no, the attached article about SMU has it. Their BoT Chairman (whose personal assets start with the letter B not M - he has given more than $100 million but do not lose hope: at age 40 he was contributing only $100 a year) knows the reason. They were holding out for more $$$ from the Conference in exchange for a "yes" vote. I guess that is kind of a shakedown to use that street lingo.

Oh, and this is a really interesting article. I read all of it with amazement. The SMU AD (a UNC grad) has some sense too: "Every league has its high-resourced and low-resourced schools. Just because you’re a high-resource school doesn’t mean you win." This is so true.

Oh, and batten down the hatches. These guys will have the best NIL program in the Conference. You have been warned.
I keep hearing this, yet their donors have been non-existent for 30 years. They certainly talk a big game as their team has averaged less than 6 wins a year in a mid to low tier conference. It’s amazing that they had success for 2 years while cheating and suddenly they’re sleeping giants.

I'm very anti-retread but this one feels a bit different. He is killing it at ESPN so if he takes it it's because he really wants it.

We need a developer of talent and he will do that. He's known nationally as a not great and/or uninterested recruiter but that won't be as big of a deal if he has the needed NIL support.

Give me Mullen or Chesney and let's roll.

At some point the inevitable nature of 3 teams leaving will change everyone’s opinion on how quickly they want to be paid and limit their litigation expenses as well.

I would gather this will pick up in offseason. Each team will contribute a What amount of money to lubricate the conferences finances until the big 2 completely break away

My two cents.

That people on this board think it’s a HR , makes me pray he isn’t hired. Honestly none of us know what lies ahead. Our two best coaches in my lifetime were head scratchers until we saw the results. Mac & P. No splash, no fanfare, just solid coaches. Mac definitely was the bigger stretch as P was just a continuity hire which eventually ran its course.
Not to sidetrack this thread, but I don’t think it’s an accurate assessment to say P was a “continuity” hire. He had his own credentials and was a big part of Mac’s success. He was also more of the disciplinarian that we needed following Mac’s upbeat rah-rah style (which was called for when he was hired). P’s only problem was the University stopped adequately finding the program.

I'm very anti-retread but this one feels a bit different. He is killing it at ESPN so if he takes it it's because he really wants it.

We need a developer of talent and he will do that. He's known nationally as a not great and/or uninterested recruiter but that won't be as big of a deal if he has the needed NIL support.

Give me Mullen or Chesney and let's roll.

I don’t think of Mullen as a re-tread. He had one rough year at Florida and it doesn’t take them long to pile on. At the same time, Kirby Smart (who might end up being the best of them all) was building an empire in the border state.

Battling border rivals Schiano, Hafley and Narduzzi won’t be quite the same.

Interesting path and names before his first head coaching gig...

After serving as a graduate assistant at Syracuse and Notre Dame, Mullen was hired by Urban Meyer to coach QBs at Bowling Green from 2001 to 2002. Mullen would stay in the same position with Meyer after the latter was hired by Utah where they both stayed for the 2003 and 2004 seasons. During his tenure at Utah, he also recruited and briefly coached Brian Johnson, a quarterback who led Utah to 13–0 and a Sugar Bowl victory for the 2008-2009 season.[8]

Following an undefeated 2004 season which led to Utes QB Alex Smith being the first overall pick in the draft Meyer was hired by the University of Florida. Mullen served as interim offensive coordinator[9] for the 2005 Fiesta Bowl and led the team to a 35–7 win over the Pittsburgh Panthers. After the victory Mullen would join Meyer's staff at Florida as offensive coordinator and QB coach.

As a coach, Mullen has coached several notable players, including quarterbacks Alex Smith (Utah), Heisman Trophy-winner Tim Tebow (Florida), Dak Prescott (Mississippi State), and Kyle Trask (Florida).

Mullen, along with former Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers head coach Chip Kelly, and former Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive coordinator Gary Crowton, are part of the so-called "New Hampshire mafia" as they all have strong connections to New Hampshire.[10]

P.S. Who knew he is in the NH mafia??

Interesting path and names before his first head coaching gig...

After serving as a graduate assistant at Syracuse and Notre Dame, Mullen was hired by Urban Meyer to coach QBs at Bowling Green from 2001 to 2002. Mullen would stay in the same position with Meyer after the latter was hired by Utah where they both stayed for the 2003 and 2004 seasons. During his tenure at Utah, he also recruited and briefly coached Brian Johnson, a quarterback who led Utah to 13–0 and a Sugar Bowl victory for the 2008-2009 season.[8]

Following an undefeated 2004 season which led to Utes QB Alex Smith being the first overall pick in the draft Meyer was hired by the University of Florida. Mullen served as interim offensive coordinator[9] for the 2005 Fiesta Bowl and led the team to a 35–7 win over the Pittsburgh Panthers. After the victory Mullen would join Meyer's staff at Florida as offensive coordinator and QB coach.

As a coach, Mullen has coached several notable players, including quarterbacks Alex Smith (Utah), Heisman Trophy-winner Tim Tebow (Florida), Dak Prescott (Mississippi State), and Kyle Trask (Florida).

Mullen, along with former Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers head coach Chip Kelly, and former Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive coordinator Gary Crowton, are part of the so-called "New Hampshire mafia" as they all have strong connections to New Hampshire.[10]

P.S. Who knew he is in the NH mafia??
It’s been mentioned a few times on the board. I think he is a very intriguing option and like most of the board I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was the guy.

Update from the Clarion Ledger on Dan Mullen & Mississippi State: Mullen could be approaching a removal from our hot board. The ESPN analyst recently said on a SiriusXM show that he’d, “never say never” about a return to Starkville. However, along with having had no contact with Mississippi State administration to that point, he said he’s not sure if now is the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.