Dan Mullen | Page 207 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the question that I don't actually want the answer to - did the administration fumble this?
My gut says that yeah they fumbled this. If they wanted it bad enough they would have pulled the trigger on Saturday at the latest. Have a feeling the power of the board was that they would rather get Chesney at a discount than pay up a huge contract for Mullen and his assistants he probably already had eyes on. It turned out to be too rich for our blood. Seriously disappointing.

So the question that I don't actually want the answer to - did the administration fumble this?

I would think big FAT yes though I am sure it will be spun differently. When a coach reaches out first it is our job to close and we couldn’t. No matter how you spin it that is the fact. Our administration couldn’t close

It was fun to feel like the program might just be doing what it takes to try to play big boy football, even if just for a couple days. I'll convince myself by next fall to be excited for whoever it is, but the reality is if it's Chesney the best case is he's good and someone who plays big boy football makes him an offer he can't refuse after a few years of success at SU.

The appeal of Mullen was that we knew he was good, we knew hiring him meant the program was spending real money, and he probably wasn't going to be hired away by an SEC powerhouse, so he might stick around longer (maybe til an NFL offer came).

But Syracuse football is what it is at this point, and a few days of unbridled hope in the coaching search is about as fun as it's been in a while. I really hope Mullen doesn't end up at Duke, that would be extremely depressing.

It was fun to feel like the program might just be doing what it takes to try to play big boy football, even if just for a couple days. I'll convince myself by next fall to be excited for whoever it is, but the reality is if it's Chesney the best case is he's good and someone who plays big boy football makes him an offer he can't refuse after a few years of success at SU.

The appeal of Mullen was that we knew he was good, we knew hiring him meant the program was spending real money, and he probably wasn't going to be hired away by an SEC powerhouse, so he might stick around longer (maybe til an NFL offer came).

But Syracuse football is what it is at this point, and a few days of unbridled hope in the coaching search is about as fun as it's been in a while. I really hope Mullen doesn't end up at Duke, that would be extremely depressing.
I’d like to know the real story behind this, and yeah if he ends up at Duke or Indiana that’s going to be extremely disappointing.

Serious question, would it be better to just leave the current staff as is and try again next year based on results? Or do we go with our 2nd/3rd option?
Will never have a lame duck coach. We will go deep into the list before we do that.

Serious question, would it be better to just leave the current staff as is and try again next year based on results? Or do we go with our 2nd/3rd option?

Wouldn't it be something if yeah we get Chesney or other and keep beck or whatever in a money saving attempt...eesh

I just asked Mullen how it fell through on his tweet, nothing to lose now. Just on the off chance he’ll reply which I’d be shocked.
If he replies to that question, I’ll be glad we didn’t land him. But, I know his judgment is better than to reply, so I will remain let down that we don’t have him as our next head coach.

What if he is not Wildhacks top choice?
He may not be. There are a lot of assuumptions associated with Mullen: 1. He is the favorite, the top choice
2. His salary request is more than we we paid Babers, is in the SEC range and his previous salary, reported to be more than the 4 million we paid Babers.
Coach's salary side, we still have NIL concerns.... Players want to be paid now.

If the posters on this board that are usually in the know were right, then the answer almost has to be yes. If Mullen contacted us I doubt in the middle of the process he walks away. If that’s the case this is one of the biggest fumbles in the history of this program, they were essentially sitting on a gold mine in terms of ticket sales and overall community excitement. Have to spend money to make money and I guess JW doesn’t understand that.
It’s not that hard to imagine him changing his mind. It’s a big change from what he is doing now.

It’s not that hard to imagine him changing his mind. It’s a big change from what he is doing now.

I'm quite sure he's the one who reached out from what we were told in this thread so he must have had at least some clue as to what Syracuse is about and what he was looking for.

Yeah, I think it is easy to point fingers here about what may have happened. Truth is we don't know how this went down and may never know. I am in the wait and see mode from here on out, although certainly disappointed. I just hope we did not fumble the opportunity somehow because that would really upset this fanbase that has been constantly kicked when down.

Everytime we get to a point as a program where it feels like we’re about to take a massive step, it all just crumbles. Whether it be on the field like Maryland in 2019 or as a program in general like right now, just always seems the gap for Syracuse football is too wide for us to make the jump. Beyond frustrating.

If the posters on this board that are usually in the know were right, then the answer almost has to be yes. If Mullen contacted us I doubt in the middle of the process he walks away. If that’s the case this is one of the biggest fumbles in the history of this program, they were essentially sitting on a gold mine in terms of ticket sales and overall community excitement. Have to spend money to make money and I guess JW doesn’t understand that.
If that's how it went down it's not on JW it's on the board. Regardless, if it turns out that that's how it went down, I'm going to try to quit getting so invested in Syracuse football.

At the end of the day if they're not willing to spend serious money on a proven coach, they're never going to have one because as soon as they hit on a cheap hire who proves he can be one, he'll get hired away by a P4 school that's willing to pay.

If we're just cashing checks until we lose our P4 seat in ~2030, why should we invest our time or money into that as fans? It's just depressing.

And if that's how they're running football, I expect basketball to end up the same way. They never paid Boeheim the market rate, but he gave them a discount because of loyalty to SU. If Autry doesn't work out, at this point I'd be surprised if they dropped top dollar on a top candidate. Maybe that's an overreaction, but that's where I'm at right now. Just depressing.

Five days of rumors and excitement and we find out via a Mullen Tweet at midnight on Sunday? Lol c'mon...

After a few days the disappointment will fade but my concern is holding on to our star players, the timing of this falling through is very worrisome.

Status
Not open for further replies.