Dan Mullen | Page 238 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can feel the tension in this thread, all the way down in my plums.
If I recall reclectly, i couldn't believe you hadn't see it until the clemson game

Again they didn't know for certain until he lost to GT ... that fact seems to be repeatedly forgotten around here. Now you also can't predict who will be hired and fired on your little list when you finally do pull the trigger and you have no idea what terms will get them signed because if you are negotiating with someone while you still have an employed coach what message are you sending? The Chesney/Mullen to BC couldn't even happen until Haffley was fired. The moment he fired Dino he announced who we was using for his search right? So indeed he had one if that is one of your criteria ... that is the point you are missing.
alot of variables for sure. He may had the Chesney deal already worked out, who knows. My point really was that Dino was on thin ice going into the season and it became clear as the season went on it was likely that would not be retained. I am sure JW had feelers going out prior to the GT game and maybe Chesney was his guy all along or Mullen was and Chesney was the plan B guy. Just trying to articulate how important it is to have a plan in place when these things go down, thats all.

Yeah with in house people. But you lose your CFO and you have a CFO at a rival at the ready who will accept? Baloney.
No, but I have an interim CFO ready to hold the fort and a short list of CFO's to fill the position. Usually would have an agreement inked in 48 hrs. Succession planning is critical, unless you prefer constantly getting caught with your pants down.

No, but I've watched it every day since.
You know, Mullen is like Donna trying to get away because she doesn't like it and chesney is like Beverly where it's a intense and painful

We’ve got Mullen, super Dan… Mullen… I just… don’t… think… you understand…
fall down arrested development GIF

I have zero inside info. I fear the BOT let this all fall apart. There was too much smoke on ESPN ribbing DM about coaching at Syracuse, they would not have been doing that on air if they didn't think it was a done deal.

I think DM gave JW what he needed, both in support and $$$ to be successful at Syracuse. I am confident JW is serious about this and said "yep Dan, I am going to get it done".

Fast forward to this weekend. JW meets with the BOT to get sign off/ funds released/ whatever, and the BOT shut it down.

I really hope DM is not coaching at a peer school next year because that would confirm to me we (maybe the BOT) isn't serious about big time football...

And what if it was a $$$$ gap but that gap was NIL because Dan wanted SEC type NIL and our collectives couldn’t assure that? Then whose fault is it?

Well, this is a big let down. But at least we know, we don't have THAT kind of money, after all.

So, now it's Candle, Chesney, Addazio. Who else?

I guess Al Golden.

I don't want Addazio as more than a coordinator; he's too meathead. Chesney I don't think has made enough relationships at the P5 level to bring together a top staff.

Sean Lewis, eh, he probably wouldn't some back, although he did get demoted by Prime Time. Tony White, no he's not coming back.

Golden at least has done this before at a high level.

And what if it was a $$$$ gap but that gap was NIL because Dan wanted SEC type NIL and our collectives couldn’t assure that? Then whose fault is it?
Wildhacks obviously :p

Well I'm not an executive and have never been in a position to hire people, so maybe I'm off here. But if I'm the AD and Mullen expresses interest, one of the first things I do is make sure he's on board with the budget for the program. If he's not, we don't waste each other's time.

So unless they had a modest gap and tried to close it and just couldn't, I would say an issue there that derails it at the end is on the AD for not making sure early on that the parameters were viable for both sides.

Well, this is a big let down. But at least we know, we don't have THAT kind of money, after all.

So, now it's Candle, Chesney, Addazio. Who else?

I guess Al Golden.

I don't want Addazio as more than a coordinator; he's too meathead. Chesney I don't think has made enough relationships at the P5 level to bring together a top staff.

Sean Lewis, eh, he probably wouldn't some back, although he did get demoted by Prime Time. Tony White, no he's not coming back.

Golden at least has done this before at a high level.
How do we know that>

Let's make this simple. Let's say that you used to go to a restaurant that once had great food and great service. Over a period of time, you notice the food quality and the level of service declines. It becomes so bad that you eventually stop going. Where do you think the problem lies?

Spoiler alert - Its the Manager - you get to connect the dots
Sounds like The Clam Bar. And they ended up closing.

Coaching staffs don’t work like that in any sport…you know that. If Aaron Boone or Kyle Shanahan get fired you think the owners have a staffer lined up as the permanent replacement? Come on

The New Tork Mets had Craig Counsell lined up after they let Showalter go, or so it seemed. That worked out great.

For the Cubs.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wanted to get involved in the syracusefan.com tradition of not being able to spell the names of coaches, players, and recruits.
The Law Firm of Schraeder, Schafer & Booheim are not amused.

Honestly, I don't even care why. It just always seems that nothing ever works out.

I get as a fanbase we tend to be pessimists, and I tend to be on IRL as well... but I'm just bummed out. Like a kid being offered the toy you always wanted for Christmas and ending up with a knitted sweater.

Well I'm not an executive and have never been in a position to hire people, so maybe I'm off here. But if I'm the AD and Mullen expresses interest, one of the first things I do is make sure he's on board with the budget for the program. If he's not, we don't waste each other's time.

So unless they had a modest gap and tried to close it and just couldn't, I would say an issue there that derails it at the end is on the AD for not making sure early on that the parameters were viable for both sides.
Pure speculation, but that may well be what happened here. They met, Mullen outlines his vision for the program and told them what he thought he needed to make the program what he envisions, AD meets with the money, then tells Mullen what we can do, Mullen doesn't think its enough and its over.

Well, chicken and egg argument tbf. Most on here have donated and would commit a larger donation if we had the feeling the university was as committed to the cause as we are. Right, wrong, or indifferent as anyone may be to that belief, that’s why I call it a chicken/egg.

You are ignoring the fact that if Dino had gone 7-5 he may not have been fired. You can’t get anything lined up when you don’t know if you are firing your coach or not.
Dino was fired over one win?

For I think about the sixth time today, the guy got his rep as a recruiter BEFORE he ever came to Georgia. I have no idea if he would out here as a HC but his ability to recruit has nothing to do with being at Georgia.

And his known prowess as a recruiter before Georgia is probably why he was in a position to get the Georgia job.

If NIL is Sooooo far off? Maybe they just figured, to heck with it, we'll never compete.

Dino was fired over one win?

Let's be honest. Dino was fired for a series of games where the team failed to show up. Everyone accepted likely losses to Clemson and Fla. State. But we were wiped out by UNC, and then beat terribly by a poor Va. Tech team after a bye week. Our reserve QBs were unprepared to play, and we had to resort to a gimmick offense to play out our last 3 games of the regular season.

Let's be honest. Dino was fired for a series of games where the team failed to show up. Everyone accepted likely losses to Clemson and Fla. State. But we were wiped out by UNC, and then beat terribly by a poor Va. Tech team after a bye week. Our reserve QBs were unprepared to play, and we had to resort to a gimmick offense to play out our last 3 games of the regular season.

I won’t take the way we lost to FSU. We played to lose by as little as possible which was still too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.