Dan Mullen | Page 145 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like at this point, Wildhack has to be aware that rumors are flying about Mullen. It was in the school's interest to have people think/know Mullen had some interest, even if he wasn't the guy. Makes us look good. You could maybe argue it was in Mullen's interest to get some press out of Syracuse being interested in him, but not the other way around. Former SEC head coach reaches out to lowly Syracuse and they give him the Heisman is not exactly the kind of press a superstar agent wants his guy to get.

At this point it makes 'Cuse look bad if he's not the guy, it makes him look like a bit of a jackass for not squashing the rumors, and the story that he reached out and then they went another direction looks awful for him. He could come right out and squash the rumors, and Wildhack could do so with one call to a guy like Thamel.

So, I'm starting to really think he's the guy. And going back to the jokes on air, I think most professional broadcasters would get clearance to needle him like that if there is potentially a $15-20M deal on the line. Like you think Matt Barrie wants to risk being responsible for costing his broadcast partner that kind of bank?
I like the cut of your jib.

OK I went back and read some of the thread... So, basically...

Wednesday: Betting odds shift, Mullen suddenly favored
Later Wednesday: It's reported Mullen was on campus.
Later Wednesday: Reputable posters confirm he was on campus.

So the betting odds almost certainly shifted because he was spotted on campus and Vegas caught wind of it in a hurry.

Prior to that, he wasn't a hot name for the job amongst reporters. Since then, he hasn't denied it (he previously denied having spoken to anyone at Mississippi State and only said "never say never" about going back there), not a peep from Thamel (who seems pretty well connected to the Syracuse athletic department), and lots of buzz among the fanbase but not much else.

Yesterday and today, he's getting needled on the air about Syracuse, and he's not really playing along or saying anything.

This sure reads like he's the guy. Wildhack isn't doing anything to dispel the rumor, Sexton isn't doing anything to dispel the rumor, Mullen isn't doing anything to dispel the rumor.

Also a ton of Kentucky fans talking about Dan Mullen since it looks like Stoops is going to A&M

My sources are make believe.
db7.jpg

Was talking about this to a tenny fan and he laughed and said that Mullen had an agreement to go there and then the Florida job opened up and things changed. With the shakeups about to happen (Clemson? Kentucky? Etc) there might be a legit more attractive option available to him soon.

Yeah no way he’s gonna say oh yeah he was here. Half the team is following Mullen on Twitter. Including someone in the portal today. This can’t be a nothing burger. And I was told he was there. And it was reported he was on campus by outlets on weds
Also it is a rule that you deny everything throughout a hiring process. You never want leaks-good or bad- to come out before you get to have a conversation with those who didn't get the job.

Was talking about this to a tenny fan and he laughed and said that Mullen had an agreement to go there and then the Florida job opened up and things changed. With the shakeups about to happen (Clemson? Kentucky? Etc) there might be a legit more attractive option available to him soon.
Shut your wh*** mouth! 100% joking. Yes. Other more attractive opportunities. Perfectly reasonable... but we don't do that here...

Agreed, but if just posturing, he wouldn’t have shut down the rumors of other schools and not mentioned us. Especially given that Mr. Barrie is our fairy godmother right now and poking him regularly.

He didn’t need Syracuse rumors to get himself offers. Guy can go wherever he wants with a phone call.

Yeah, I would expect tomorrow is a whole different day.

I'm sure Wildhack wanted a signature today before the serious musical chairs start.

Dabo and Stoops both going to same place? Kentucky will promote their hot assistant coach not hire Mullen.

It’s all part of the game and gaining leverage.

No one is doing anything wrong.
Did I say they were? I said I wouldn't find it cool to be used. I wouldn't. It's fine that you like it. I once watched CNBC on a Sunday night as they ran a special about a big corportate merger in the works. If it happened, I would spend the next 6 months in Penn. I didn't enjoy that either.

Agreed, but if just posturing, he wouldn’t have shut down the rumors of other schools and not mentioned us. Especially given that Mr. Barrie is our fairy godmother right now and poking him regularly.

He didn’t need Syracuse rumors to get himself offers. Guy can go wherever he wants with a phone call.
No he didn’t need Syracuse but there is more urgency to interview him now if he’s close to signing with Syracuse. So did he use us? We will see. Did we use him to low ball someone else? We will see.

No he didn’t need Syracuse but there is more urgency to interview him now if he’s close to signing with Syracuse. So did he use us? We will see. Did we use him to low ball someone else? We will see.
No benefit and a waste of time. He makes a call and anyone listens and brings him in. This isn’t rocket science.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors