Dan Mullen | Page 224 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was excited about Mullen, but was excited about Chesney too. I haven’t invested much in investigating the other candidates, but I trust JW to make what he feels is the best choice for SU. That’s literally his job. And I suspect he’s a pretty good guy to have in your corner in tough negotiations.

If you read football scoop’s article from a few days ago, They suggested Chesney was the favorite. Many people ignored that.
and Pete Thamel never mentioned Mullen as a candidate. That too.

Last edited:
It’s been real everybody. Appreciate the bashing. Shared info that was shared to me from sources I have and trust. Sorry for anything exciting. Will be sticking to my chat.
Please don’t let a few sour naysayers ruin things for you. I guarantee there are 5 times as many folks on this board that appreciate your information and understand that hiring is a fluid process. As crazy as this all was, it is completely understandable to me. I for one don’t feel the need to throw rocks at anyone. Especially you Bulldog.

the thing is nobody really knows if Mullen was ever even a serious candidate here regardless of what internet keyboard warriors like to post. Hey, I love it, it's all entertaining but to jump from one conclusion to the next seems crazy. Mullen wanted the job and Syracuse screwed it up? Where are the facts other than internet rumor? There aren't any. Like I said, it's all fun and I am here for all of it but the fact that Mullen had no issue tweeting out that he won't be coaching at Syracuse tells me he was never a serious candidate. That's my opinion and clearly just as good as anyone else's as to what is really going on here
SU and the big donor community has probably made a serious bump in financial commitment that would include compensation and NIL. It’s not going to be unlimited, this isn’t that type of program or fan base.

If you have to starve NIL to meet compensation demands, what’s the point?

Get the young guy, pay the core, go find some OL, and win the bowl game.

Oh come on, how many rumors have 200 pages in four days? JW doesn't need to tweet. He tells Thamel to. "Oh Mullen, not happening." And done.

It's amateur hour.
Wouldn’t worrying about rumors be amateur hour?

You really expected Wildhack to hire a new coach before Babers was fired?
He should have his guy 95% done. That's how these things work at well-run organizations. There's a short list, cut it down to three, and the prohibitive favorites. Money gets resolved early on: if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. SU's AD is a snowball catching on fire. You think it took Texas A&M a month to hire Elko?

Please don’t let a few sour naysayers ruin things for you. I guarantee there are 5 times as many folks on this board that appreciate your information and understand that hiring is a fluid process. As crazy as this all was, it is completely understandable to me. I for one don’t feel the need to throw rocks at anyone. Especially you Bulldog.
I’m not saying it’s right but of course a few people were going to be mad.

odd thamel never had him thrown in with all the other names. But the timing of the Mullen tweet is crazy and that could have been done days ago.

It is bad as it shows possibly the University backed out and there is going to be a portal exodus. I’ll support the new coach but it’s bleak. This was a chance to somehow keep up with the big boys not good.

He should have his guy 95% done. That's how these things work at well-run organizations. There's a short list, cut it down to three, and the prohibitive favorites. Money gets resolved early on: if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. SU's AD is a snowball catching on fire. You think it took Texas A&M a month to hire Elko?
A&M also just paid $75M to fire someone. Dont think they are comparable.

Anyone else thinking “why did I do this to myself again haven’t I learned?” Lol. Like we have been conditioned here to be pretty pessimistic rightfully so with recent past. But then, just when you allow yourself to jump back in and join the rare wave of optimism….. this happens, and it happens with a midnight Sunday tweet…… ugh. I know it sounds super dramatic, but im drained lol all my optimism juice is gone. I just am bummed, I wanted to witness history here. I wanted to see us dive in to a big time hire when that never seemed like an option but then it was. Not sure where to go from here lol I guess I should probably just move on until I hear we hired a guy and see what shakes out…. But I’m apart of this crazy orange loving psycho group who just can’t let it all go…. So I guess I’ll mosey my way threw other threads and try and muster up some optimism. Tough day. And it’s Monday.

A&M is paying a guy 70 million to walk away and not coach, comparing them to SU is like a Hobart fan comparing its school to Syracuse. The finances are in different universes.

I appreciate all of the info from the board insiders. I will say, with the writing on the wall for the ACC, you would have to think that the admin knows this is their last "shot" and I would hope that reasonable finances don't play a role here. You have to pay more to get someone with documented results at the highest level. I'll just leave it at that.

This made for a great Holiday weekend, sad it didnt come to fruition.

I have to admit that I was all in on Chesney before the Mullen train got rolling. Hiring Mullen would have been very exciting for the University and fans to reel in a coach who has won at the highest level of college football, the SEC. That said I would still be very happy with getting back on the Chesney train as he is a NE guy and has won at all levels of coaching, the downside is he has not coached at the P5 level and we would be taking a chance on him. Have to admit this thread is making all of us crazy...

It’s hiring a coach, not an executive. Some coaches need to finish their seasons. Why are you talking about a month time frame?

Everyone loves to think they’re an insider, or are close to an insider.

The worst thing people can do is start angrily casting aspersions at Wildhack and SU due to a rumor that was clearly very sketchy from the jump.

Not that it will stop anyone.

It's called PR, figured a school with a well-regarded communications department would be aware of how their school is regarded in the fanbase. Especially when the season ticket holders are leaving in droves and revenue programs are irrelevant.
I don’t know you but you don’t sound like a fan. Let the process play out.

Thanks for all your information Bulldog. Unlinke some, I like any information that we can get. Obviously things change, that’s why it’s a negotiation and wasn’t an announcement. Not sure why others have to bash you when things just don’t work out. This is exactly why more and more people stop posting any type of information on this board.
Yes, Bulldog thank you for the information you had. It probably was accurate at the time but then something changed. I still think it well could have been Mullen's past NCAA violations and sanctions. No way the Chancellor and BoT would have wanted to get near that. Nor Wildhack.

It's called PR, figured a school with a well-regarded communications department would be aware of how their school is regarded in the fanbase. Especially when the season ticket holders are leaving in droves and revenue programs are irrelevant.
No responding to rumors is not “PR” and responding would have done nothing for “the season ticket holders leaving in droves.”

Apparently Wikipedia knows more then everyone

Attachments

• IMG_3413.jpeg
    IMG_3413.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 214
Status
Not open for further replies.