Darius Bazely | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazely

If he ends up taking the year off from competitive basketball, then he really blew it -- what a setback that would be for his developmental curve.

It was an interesting idea, but I just don't think that Bazely was the right prospect to take the plunge on this experiment.

I bet they shut it down and he doesn't play. Might be the right move at this point.

If he ends up taking the year off from competitive basketball, then he really blew it -- what a setback that would be for his developmental curve.

It was an interesting idea, but I just don't think that Bazely was the right prospect to take the plunge on this experiment.
I agree, someone like a Shittu, who is physically ready for the NBA might be able to pull it off. Or maybe Naz Reid. At least those guys could bang with the men in the G-League. But, even they would benefit more from a year in college with the strength and conditioning coaches and a great college coaching staff that can develop them and work out the kinks while playing against players at the same physical level.

These kids have no idea how difficult it is to transition to the college level, let alone playing professional. This kid may never be heard from again. All his handlers were looking for handouts for themselves and not the kids best interests.
Those were my initial thoughts. I don’t blame Bazley, I’m critical and skeptical of his handlers intentions.

I agree, someone like a Shittu, who is physically ready for the NBA might be able to pull it off. Or maybe Naz Reid. At least those guys could bang with the men in the G-League. But, even they would benefit more from a year in college with the strength and conditioning coaches and a great college coaching staff that can develop them and work out the kinks while playing against players at the same physical level.

Yes. One of those guys that would be like 20 years old going into their freshman year, that’s been away at Oak Hill or something, with more physical maturity and a bit more life experience would probably have a better chance of making it work.

Darius Bazley | Age: 18.2 | G League?

6-foot-9 | SF

After Bazley decided last spring to skip college basketball and play in the G League this season, there were heightened stakes for him at this event and not many positives to take away from his performance. There is speculation among NBA scouts that this might have been the last competitive action they will see from Bazley until the NBA pre-draft process next spring -- or even the 2019 summer league. If he doesn't feel ready for the G League, he could reconsider his decision and forgo competitive basketball for the year, similar to Mitchell Robinson last season. Either way, it's a situation with widespread implications beyond Bazley, and an important one to watch.

The youngest participant in these 5-on-5 scrimmages, having only turned 18 two months ago, Bazley looked far from capable of holding his own physically with legitimate college players, struggling to put the ball in the basket and making a litany of bad decisions on both ends of the floor that caused scouts to question his feel for the game.

Bazley bit on fakes on defense, gambled excessively in the passing lanes and let stronger players go right through him en route to the basket, even if his mobility, length and instincts do allow him to make plays on occasion. Offensively, he has a difficult time getting low to the ground and creating high percentage shots, rarely making the extra pass and settling for long 2s when his initial move is cut off. Even when Bazley made an effective move, he would often attempt to finish in bizarre fashion, heaving up awkward floaters and step-backs from difficult angles, shying away from contact and almost never getting to the free throw line in turn. His jumper looked unpolished over the course of the weekend, as he shoots the ball with funky mechanics and an inconsistent release point, having an especially difficult time making shots off the dribble.

Bazley's frame has improved since the last time we saw him on the high school all-star circuit. Standing around 6-foot-9 with intriguing length and a theoretical skill-set, Bazley has quite a bit of long-term upside, but he's far from putting it all together.

Once in a while Bazley would block a shot, outquick an opponent to the glass or make a smooth move in the open court that reminded you of why he was such a touted prospect to begin with. It wouldn't be surprising if he was able to do the same in a private workout during the pre-draft setting and convince a team he's worthy of being picked in the first round, but there are some real doubts at this point about what taking a year off of playing competitive basketball would do for his long-term development, if that's what he decides to do.

He sounds exactly like Chris McCullough as an incoming freshman.

He shouldn’t of listened to greedy handlers and maybe he wouldn’t be in this position. I’m sorry I don’t feel bad for him one bit. Maybe a lifelong learning experience for him

If he looked this bad at Nike there is no way he will be playing in the G league. It would just further expose him. It was probably a shock for him since he played against such bad high school competition and was unwilling to transfer to a place where he would be prepared more. As others have said he was not the type of kid physically to do this.

His handlers...not sure what all went down obviously, but reminds me a little of hearing a person "pitch" a real estate or financial or travel investment. The pitch can sound so great, but the reality may be totally different. Hope it all turns out well for the kid eventually.

he is a teenager, so I feel bad for him, teenagers are dumb. and sometimes the adults around them are even dumber

Having a teenager, so thus understanding how smart they think they are, while simultaneously being so blindingly stupid, I feel bad for the kid. He needs to head to a place like IMG where he can possibly rebuild his rep.

Because if he thinks he can hide for a year then show up at the draft combine, he isn't going to fool any scouts,

Having a teenager, so thus understanding how smart they think they are, while simultaneously being so blindingly stupid, I feel bad for the kid. He needs to head to a place like IMG where he can possibly rebuild his rep.

Because if he thinks he can hide for a year then show up at the draft combine, he isn't going to fool any scouts,

...particularly not when the last impression he leaves them with is something like this.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised. I am one of those that actually saw Bazley play a few times last year. The player they describe is not the player I saw. The Bazley I saw, and was impressed by, would score 20 pts when he could have scored 40 by being greedy and forcing the play as it sounds like he is doing now. That wasn't his game. His offensive game was drive and kick or be kicked out to. Many times he dumped off to players in better position rather than force a 12 foot shot. The kid can shoot. Worst thing I can say is that he may have developed some bad habits there since other than open 3's he would most often shoot a little fade since he could get that off at will and now he can't. I hope he makes it. Always nice when a local kid makes good. I hope for his sake his sugar daddy doesn't get scared off by his poor showings and a year off of competition.

Sounds as if the kid might have benefited from a better situation.

Maybe some place where he could improve his strength and game on all levels...with basic expenses paid.
Where he'd have coaches instructing and working with him.
And there'd be some experienced head guy to yell at him and remind him (constantly) of his mistakes and what he must do to improve.

But where could anyone ever find a situation like that?

I don't think the loss of Bazely will hurt the team very much this upcoming year, especially if OB develops, and with Battle returning. We'll be fine with or without.

He was making fun of your grammar.

Many older stronger pros in g league fighting to make their bones. Bazley gonna get knocked around like a pinball. He will probably get his occasionally but overall he’s a boy playing with men

I guess he found that out.

this could turn out to be a complete trainwreck of a move by the kid. and I don't say that with glee because he bailed on us, it's sad. greedy people around him got in his ear and here we are.

Serves him right. It was a dirt bag move to bail on us at the time he did.
And then, wasn't there an article that appeared after his magazine "G League trailblazer article" that said his family had actually made the decision a couple months before?

ESPN NBA Insider: Ex-Syracuse basketball recruit Darius Bazley could skip G-League

Let's relax on calling a 17 year old's decision a "dirt bag move"

Being 17 has nothing to do with a lack of character.
Seventeen year olds kill people, commit all sorts of crimes, and engage in wide ranges of awful behavior.
And many do not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom