Daryl Gross: Syracuse restructuring oversight of athletics, academics | Syracusefan.com

Daryl Gross: Syracuse restructuring oversight of athletics, academics

Hopefully the moves they have made will lessen the penalty they take from the NCAA. Or even better, they get slapped with "time served" for the JS and FM suspensions. Those were certainly damaging. Seems like there is too much PR out there for the NCAA to not hit them with some sort of tangible penalty though, just to save face if for no other reason.

Had to say they were doing something. The pathetic nature of today's media demanded it.

This has to help us with the NCAA...being proactive and making positive changes can only help.

Hopefully the moves they have made will lessen the penalty they take from the NCAA. Or even better, they get slapped with "time served" for the JS and FM suspensions. Those were certainly damaging. Seems like there is too much PR out there for the NCAA to not hit them with some sort of tangible penalty though, just to save face if for no other reason.
Takes a lot of heat off the Athletic Dept. Puts the onus on academics if anyone says the athletes slide through.

Absolutely the right move at this juncture. Kudos to the University for taking some steps to hopefully appease the NCAA. And I have to admit, it makes me more optimistic that the NCAA investigation really is focused on academics, and not anything else.

A thought. Perhaps our guys can take those North Carolina courses via correspondence.
This.
Hard to believe it'll be anything major if its academic-related, seeing as UNC got a slap on the wrist for their own transgressions.
Also...at what point does UK start getting looked at? Its ridiculous that there's been NOTHING coming from Lexington, considering PayPalCal's track record.

This.
Hard to believe it'll be anything major if its academic-related, seeing as UNC got a slap on the wrist for their own transgressions.
Also...at what point does UK start getting looked at? Its ridiculous that there's been NOTHING coming from Lexington, considering PayPalCal's track record.
He has it worked to a science. He is on record of saying he will not be there 10 years which gives him a chance to make his money and get away with it while not paying for any of the repercussions that come down when the "ISH" hits the fan and they find to many cooks in the kitchen. He will go down in history as the most "successful/unsuccessful" coach when all his wins are erased while keeping his millions. If he was a few generations earlier, he would be considered a Roosevelt, Carnegie, Rockefeller type who made fortunes only carrying about themselves and, when sanctions came, they were long gone with their wealth leaving the masses to pay the price.

I must say Bravo for being such a evil genius. I could see a great Austin Powers villain parodied after him. There is a cozy spot in coaching hell for people like him.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-time-lexington-espn-magazine-interview-issue

Just reading the article makes me want to puke. Last question is the nail in the coffin. He knows the drill.

what is so hard about over seeing this process? is there some hidden things that arent obvious?

Why the college world would think an Athletic dept should oversee the academic progress of its players is beyond me. They may have an interest, but to have any kind of "say" in it, is ludicrous.

In the Manufacturing world, the Quality dept does NOT report to the Manufacturing hierarchy. To do so would be an obvious conflict of interest.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. (Maybe that's why it escapes the minds of academics and political types)