Day Ten Fall Camp: Thurs., August 10, 2017 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Day Ten Fall Camp: Thurs., August 10, 2017

The player he was referencing, Kevin Mitchell, played NT for us in the early '90's at 240 lbs, hence the comparison. The guys we played at DE were actually bigger than him. He didn't play it in the traditional space eater way. He used his quickness to get in the backfield and create havoc. He was very effective racking up tons of TFL and was the defensive MVP of the Fiesta Bowl at the end of the '92 season when we finished top 10 (7th?). Later in his career, maybe the next year, he switched to MLB when we transitioned from 3-4 to 4-3 as our base. He ended up getting drafted, Washington maybe, and played a few years in the league.
And oh boy did he take out Pitt QB Alex Van Pelt in the Dome in 1992.

52418099740__515E1679-67AD-48B0-B717-B25B7CA98573.JPG
I don't think that either Fagan / Trotter [true frosh LBs] would be candidates, as both are around 200 pounds.

RSoph LBs Cullen [212 pounds] and Troy Henderson [216 pounds] are interesting candidates, as neither one seems to be able to get on the field outside of special teams. Cullen is such a good athlete -- could he find a niche as a situational pass rusher who just uses his speed / athleticism to try to get upfield and make disruptive plays in the backfield despite being undersized? Might be a path to increased PT. Interesting thought.
He texted me a few minutes ago shy is 6' 225

Ha, that's great and typical for the age. Thanks anyway Bam!
He did mention he is feeling comfortable being back a will again. Said he will be playing all 4 special teams he did last year again and they have put him on as a stand up de for a few plays. Outside of that he said dungey is playing much better this year and tommy has a gun for an arm lol.

He did mention he is feeling comfortable being back a will again. Said he will be playing all 4 special teams he did last year again and they have put him on as a stand up de for a few plays. Outside of that he said dungey is playing much better this year and tommy has a gun for an arm lol.

Some pretty good stuff there.

Hope Shy has a great season - always pulling for him.

Awesome! In light of that, bambrewer, what do you think of that suggestion?
To be honest I always hoped shy would get to 6'3 so he would have the option of linebacker or de. He has the athleticism to play both. But as much as I would like to say what ever gets him on the field more I have to say I want them to put him in one spot and keep him there so he can really learn the spot and be great at it. He had moved from will to middle to sam and back to will so many times in 3 years it makes me crazy. Each time he would tell me he was getting comfortable and knew the plays they would move him to another position. At this point they could move him from sam and will during a game and he will be fine. Plus I have always said shy is better on the field than in practice so I just need them to put him in a game and let him do what he does. I mean he queitly led the special teams in tackles last year and I find it much harder to tackle on wide open kick offs than to tackle from a play at scrimmage. But as much as I think he is athletic enough to play de I think 6' is too short for a true acc de and 235 is a minimum weight.

he is athletic enough to play de I think 6' is too short for a true acc de and 235 is a minimum weight.

Dwight Freeney.

Thank you for being honest in your opinion and assessment, a hard task for parents, we never want to hold back our kids. One thing for sure is that Shy will have a greater understanding of the game than the average player because he knows what is required to play other spots and what they see and think. Long term this can play well for a coaching gig.

I want to see Shy on the field more and believe he will. As you say, open field tackles on ST are generally tougher, if he could develop a quick first move off the DLine, he would be devastating to opponents, disrupting the running and passing games, TFLs and sacks, a la Mr. D. Freeney.

Dwight Freeney.

Thank you for being honest in your opinion and assessment, a hard task for parents, we never want to hold back our kids. One thing for sure is that Shy will have a greater understanding of the game than the average player because he knows what is required to play other spots and what they see and think. Long term this can play well for a coaching gig.

I want to see Shy on the field more and believe he will. As you say, open field tackles on ST are generally tougher, if he could develop a quick first move off the DLine, he would be devastating to opponents, disrupting the running and passing games, TFLs and sacks, a la Mr. D. Freeney.
Freeney popped in my head too since he was only about 6'1" 215 as a freshman. Another good comparison, maybe even better than Freeney, with regard to stature would be Corey Moore for VaTech. I'm not sure he was even 6' and never got over 235.

Dwight Freeney.

Shy is very confident he will play on defense this year. That is something he has never said to me before this camp. I hope he does. I think this year he will have an even bigger impact on special teams also. The new weight and still running 4.5 forty at this weight should make him a wrecking ball on kick return and another year of comfort should have him getting to the ball faster on kickoffs. I am hoping he gets his big chance at this nickle/standup de spot. He was recruited by Shafer for his crazy speed off the snap and can do a lot of damage in the other teams back field... just needs his shot

Shy is very confident he will play on defense this year. That is something he has never said to me before this camp. I hope he does. I think this year he will have an even bigger impact on special teams also. The new weight and still running 4.5 forty at this weight should make him a wrecking ball on kick return and another year of comfort should have him getting to the ball faster on kickoffs. I am hoping he gets his big chance at this nickle/standup de spot. He was recruited by Shafer for his crazy speed off the snap and can do a lot of damage in the other teams back field... just needs his shot

Thanks for the insight. Shy is "very confident", that says a lot. That start off the snap can be a world of difference; much like a short stop of third baseman, you cannot teach that first response. Sorry that I can only "like" this once.

"git thar fustest with the mostest."