Day Ten Fall Football Practice: #11 & #12, 8/15/16 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Day Ten Fall Football Practice: #11 & #12, 8/15/16

I think it's meant to develop certain skills (like ball security for a young WR, and pass catching for a young RB).
That too. My main point being that this board gets OBSESSED over position changes, and I don't think the reps we're seeing mean that's happening.

Steven told me Pickard has seriously improved since last year. I'm hoping the starting front 4 are Jake and Chris at DE, and Steven and Kayton at DT.
That is some young talent. So they would be together for the next three years, to go along with guys like Ruff that are coming in. Sounds good to me.

That is some young talent. So they would be together for the next three years, to go along with guys like Ruff that are coming in. Sounds good to me.
Forgot about that guy from Colorado.

Steven told me Pickard has seriously improved since last year. I'm hoping the starting front 4 are Jake and Chris at DE, and Steven and Kayton at DT.

Pickard is so much bigger than last year. Looks like a DE. I've been hoping since his signing that he would be a starter early. Looks like that may be the case.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
Steve Ishmael had high praise for freshman Devin Butler, who had been working primarily at WR. Now taking snaps at RB as well.

FWIW, Ishmael also said Jamal Custis is "like Calvin Johnson." Seems like competition is tight for that second outside receiver spot.

And one more Ishmael nugget: CB Corey Winfield is more physical at the line. Has jammed Ishmael out of bounds a few times.

Syracuse inside receiver Erv Philips was limited in practice today. Had pads on and warmed up with receivers. No info from Babers.

Also worth noting: CB Wayne Morgan appears to have practiced fully. Walked off in white jersey and pads. Ice pack on left knee.

Context: Morgan had been carted off from practice on Friday

Last edited:
Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
And one more Ishmael nugget: CB Corey Winfield is more physical at the line. Has jammed Ishmael out of bounds a few times.

I've been thinking Winfield could really take off the next two years. Kudos to the position change. He has the makings of a top shelf corner. Long arms, physical, some speed, good hips, athletic etc.

Forgot about that guy from Colorado.

Call me crazy but I really think DL might be an underrated position for us this year. Especially if they're moving Slayton to DE to play snaps.

There might be some growing pains but I think in terms of talent, we can compete against ACC teams if we stay healthy.

Just another day at the office.pic.twitter.com/vghSkxEy3X

Cp6N2DTW8AApThs.jpg

Call me crazy but I really think DL might be an underrated position for us this year. Especially if they're moving Slayton to DE to play snaps.

There might be some growing pains but I think in terms of talent, we can compete against ACC teams if we stay healthy.
How can you say its an under-rated position when no one at defensive end has ever taken a snap in a Syracuse uniform? What could that possibly be based on?

LeMoyneCuse said:
How can you say its an under-rated position when no one at defensive end has ever taken a snap in a Syracuse uniform? What could that possibly be based on?

It means people see zero snaps and assume the worst. Tons of publications have used that as a sign that we'll suck. So they are giving it a rating without seeing it, right?

What if Pickard lives up to his offer list (Wiscy and Michigan)? What if the grad transfer is better than we thought?

If they are simply average, they have been under-rated.

It means people see zero snaps and assume the worst. Tons of publications have used that as a sign that we'll suck. So they are giving it a rating without seeing it, right?

What if Pickard lives up to his offer list (Wiscy and Michigan)? What if the grad transfer is better than we thought?

If they are simply average, they have been under-rated.
I see your argument, but you're saying that if they're just lousy instead of bad, they've been underrated. Who cares? They'd still be lousy.

Our ends are a RS Frosh, a grad transfer, and a a bunch of freshmen, three of whom have been on campus for a month. And maybe a walk on linebacker.

We're talking about a defense that will take lots of snaps and rotate lots of guys. We're going to be relying young players with limited coaching or exposure to polished technique, limited workout time and conditioning, and no college experience. While the worst case scenario may not happen, it's still not promising.

They could develop into an asset, but that's not anywhere near a guarantee right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom