DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

For my part, I don’t like it either. I am only acknowledging it as a new factor in recruiting and building a better team and while I started out somewhat sarcastically (in my mind at least) I began to wonder how we can work the new normal to our greatest advantage no matter how I feel about it. I just don’t think we can get where we want to be looking for 5 year diamonds in the rough all the time and hiding them until they are in their 4th year.

As example, look at Lamson. Other than a spring game, we never saw him play and he’s now gone after 3 years. He was an under-recruited diamond in the rough. He seems indicative of that “5 year player” model in today’s impatient sports world. Do we still cheer his success at Stanford? He couldn’t wait, and he left us. 3 years teaching him the offense and he’s gone. We have nothing to show for it. How does this help our recruiting? J’had Carter at least saw the field. We got to see some of his potential. At OSU they will have to talk about his stats at Syracuse. If he goes pro, they will show clips of him in our uniform as well as OSU come draft cycle. They will look at his career trajectory and include us. I like neither scenario, but I still think the latter serves us better than the former.
I mean, Linton and Lamson I look at a little differently because they were talented guys that made our 2 deep better but went elsewhere because they were looking to start. Does it make the program weaker? Yes. But it’s also a testament to how well we’ve recruited their position groups. It isn’t necessarily a bad indicator.

Losing starters like Duce, Carter and Geer who all had eligibility left - that isn’t a positive indicator. It means we lack the ability to compete whether it’s on money, experience or geographic location. That’s a problem that needs to be mitigated, but in some cases it probably can’t moving forward which really stinks. I don’t view Linton or Lamson as a problem, those transfers will happen when you have a robust depth chart.

I mean, Linton and Lamson I look at a little differently because they were talented guys that made our 2 deep better but went elsewhere because they were looking to start. Does it make the program weaker? Yes. But it’s also a testament to how well we’ve recruited their position groups. It isn’t necessarily a bad indicator.

Losing starters like Duce, Carter and Geer who all had eligibility left - that isn’t a positive indicator. It means we lack the ability to compete whether it’s on money, experience or geographic location. That’s a problem that needs to be mitigated, but in some cases it probably can’t moving forward which really stinks. I don’t view Linton or Lamson as a problem, those transfers will happen when you have a robust depth chart.
OK, but if, and this is where Linton “scares” me more, one them blows up, then the narrative is that we are poor talent evaluators rather than good. The narrative becomes “how can you go 7-6 and leave top end talent on the bench”. I think Dino’s comments in his presser earlier this week were telling in that he was asking talented players to be patient and wait their turn. I don’t think that’s a winning strategy in this market. Talented players transfer to get immediate PT and NIL if not. I think he did a fantastic job of keeping the team together and intact this year, but that dam may break next year or the year after if we don’t excel on the field this year. Just me thinking out loud.

OK, but if, and this is where Linton “scares” me more, one them blows up, then the narrative is that we are poor talent evaluators rather than good. The narrative becomes “how can you go 7-6 and leave top end talent on the bench”. I think Dino’s comments in his presser earlier this week were telling in that he was asking talented players to be patient and wait their turn. I don’t think that’s a winning strategy in this market. Talented players transfer to get immediate PT and NIL if not. I think he did a fantastic job of keeping the team together and intact this year, but that dam may break next year or the year after if we don’t excel on the field this year. Just me thinking out loud.
But, honestly, isn't that a true narrative? Dino is notoriously hesitant to pass up his starters, even when talent discrepancy is so obvious.

The staff knew what they had in Linton and knew he was probably the most explosive athlete we had. And he was not kept on the bench. He played but was a little too light to play too many downs in every situation as a DE. This has nothing to do with us being poor talent evaluators. I do kind of question his position here considering his weight. But as a stand up LB at TT he is certainly not too small, especially with his weight gain while at TT. I was always kind of surprised he didn't get moved there at Syracuse similar to Lowery as his weight was even less than Lowery's. I'm sure it was discussed internally and maybe even with Linton. I think the staff just was really hoping Linton would add weight and he just didn't. He could do fairly well this year but hard to say. LB will be a bit of an adjustment for him but he'll certainly get after the QB rushing as a LB. But there scheme of a 3-4 and him playing rush DE is probably a lot better scheme for his talents. He could do very well there. No need for the situation to "scare" you though. Doesn't have any bearing on our staff.

It’s sad his predicament is so bad that 60G’s is life changing money for his family. I get why he did it but I still think he may get burned in the long run. Play one more year at Cuse where you’re a returning starter in a D you know for less NIL and get drafted this spring for big money. Then 60G’s will look like peanuts.

Obviously that is still possible at OSU but you need to beat out other NFL guys just to get on the field.
What's also sad is that 60G's isn't life changing. It may feel like it, and it's certainly a nice shot in the arm, but hopefully he has good plans beyond this year, if the pros don't work out.

The staff knew what they had in Linton and knew he was probably the most explosive athlete we had. And he was not kept on the bench. He played but was a little too light to play too many downs in every situation as a DE. This has nothing to do with us being poor talent evaluators. I do kind of question his position here considering his weight. But as a stand up LB at TT he is certainly not too small, especially with his weight gain while at TT. I was always kind of surprised he didn't get moved there at Syracuse similar to Lowery as his weight was even less than Lowery's. I'm sure it was discussed internally and maybe even with Linton. I think the staff just was really hoping Linton would add weight and he just didn't. He could do fairly well this year but hard to say. LB will be a bit of an adjustment for him but he'll certainly get after the QB rushing as a LB. But there scheme of a 3-4 and him playing rush DE is probably a lot better scheme for his talents. He could do very well there. No need for the situation to "scare" you though. Doesn't have any bearing on our staff.
I don’t think we have bad talent evaluation, I’m only suggesting that becomes a narrative for negative recruiting. That’s what “scares” me (and quotes if not obvious are because I have plenty other worries that actually scare me)

It’s sad his predicament is so bad that 60G’s is life changing money for his family. I get why he did it but I still think he may get burned in the long run. Play one more year at Cuse where you’re a returning starter in a D you know for less NIL and get drafted this spring for big money. Then 60G’s will look like peanuts.

Obviously that is still possible at OSU but you need to beat out other NFL guys just to get on the field.
I’m pretty sure he got more than just 60K.

Don’t be so sure.

A lot of these numbers you’re seeing thrown around are MASSIVELY overblown

I have no idea what Carter was promised but this figure wouldn’t shock me. He had one year left, is injury prone and the staff’s comfortable with the players who are behind him in depth. It’s a shame because he’s a likable, talented player. Losing Carter was a very fixable loss though.

That said I hope he has a great year and works himself into draft consideration.

Was it more than 60K more than what he was going to get here?
Ah - I thought earlier post meant a 60K NIL deal total value but now realizing I prob misunderstood it’s 60K more than we were offering

Last edited:
Ah - I thought earlier post meant a 60K NIL deal total value but not realizing I prob misunderstood it was 60K more than we were offering
I'm not sure which. Was just postulating.

I have no idea what Carter was promised but this figure wouldn’t shock me. He had one year left, is injury prone and the staff’s comfortable with the players who are behind him in depth. It’s a shame because he’s a likable, talented player. Losing Carter was a very fixable loss though.

That said I hope he has a great year and works himself into draft consideration.
Totally disagree that it was a fixable loss. We definitely took a set back losing Carter and Duce. Ja'had didn't get the credit he deserved last year. I thought he could have been most improved in the entire ACC. We now have guys in Carter and Duce who would be 3 year starters who seem to be #1 at their position at both LSU and tOSU. Sounds like most the DB's we got to replace are on 2nd string. How aren't those losses?

Totally disagree that it was a fixable loss. We definitely took a set back losing Carter and Duce. Ja'had didn't get the credit he deserved last year. I thought he could have been most improved in the entire ACC. We now have guys in Carter and Duce who would be 3 year starters who seem to be #1 at their position at both LSU and tOSU. Sounds like most the DB's we got to replace are on 2nd string. How aren't those losses?
Jahad was really coming into his own by the Clemson game last year but has been constantly hampered by injuries. Is he a loss? Yes. Our biggest of the postseason imo. But in no way do I think he’s not replaceable or do I think the defense takes a step back this year. The staff’s confident in the safety group and has done a good job again this year of bringing in quality depth via the portal. Im more worried about corner than I am safety. The OSU’s secondary was a disaster by their standards last year so they did good in grabbing Jahad as a veteran upgrade. I think he has a shot to work himself into the draft if he stays healthy and hope he does

Of the little info we get during preseason camp, a piece of that ration has been that the safety group headed by Barron is very strong.

Think Isaiah Johnson’s the right guy whether Duce stayed or left to take over for GW. It’d be great to have had Duce stay but I’m not sure greener pastures is the full reason why he left. Yeah we have a hole where Duce left but I don’t see his contributions at CB last year as entirely irreplaceable either.

Last edited:
All I know is we have a previous CB starting at LSU and a safety starting at OSU. Says alot about SU's talent. We should have been better than 7-5 last year. Clemson 2nd half was where it all went wrong. We win that game, think of the confidence going into the next.

All I know is we have a previous CB starting at LSU and a safety starting at OSU. Says alot about SU's talent. We should have been better than 7-5 last year. Clemson 2nd half was where it all went wrong. We win that game, think of the confidence going into the next.

Why we never went Tucker 3 plays in a row after that 3rd quarter pick is a mystery to me.

Jahad was really coming into his own by the Clemson game last year but has been constantly hampered by injuries. Is he a loss? Yes. Our biggest of the postseason imo. But in no way do I think he’s not replaceable or do I think the defense takes a step back this year. The staff’s confident in the safety group and has done a good job again this year of bringing in quality depth via the portal. Im more worried about corner than I am safety. The OSU’s secondary was a disaster by their standards last year so they did good in grabbing Jahad as a veteran upgrade. I think he has a shot to work himself into the draft if he stays healthy and hope he does

Of the little info we get during preseason camp, a piece of that ration has been that the safety group headed by Barron is very strong.

Think Isaiah Johnson’s the right guy whether Duce stayed or left to take over for GW. It’d be great to have had Duce stay but I’m not sure greener pastures is the full reason why he left. Yeah we have a hole where Duce left but I don’t see his contributions at CB last year as entirely irreplaceable either.
I like Wilson’s instincts. I think he’s a ball hawk. But his size is concerning at corner. As others have said, he fits best as a slot cover guy. But he will get some picks.

I miss Duce and I’m sure he would have improved here, but he got beat on a lotta double moves last year.

To a degree I think they are kinda similar, some risk taker that will get beat on occasion. But Duce was a lock up tackler…that’s where I think he’ll be missed.

We have no idea how good the transfer corners will be.

We were on track to be but the injuries to the d line and losing our starting qb screwed us. I talk to a lot of armchair warrior fans and they just can’t wrap their brain around it. I don’t think the o line was as bad as people want to make it out to be.

Here's reason for optimism:

Coming out of HS, Bellamy signed with Notre Dame, but also had elite offers from Clemson, Penn State, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Tennessee, as well as tons of quality offers from Nebraska, Wisconsin, Pitt, Louisville, VT, UVa, etc.

Gould originally committed to USC, then switched to Nebraska [over Alabama, Penn State, Clemson, Florida State, Florida, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, as well as Ole Miss, Pitt, Michigan State, VT, Maryland, Louisville, Tennessee, Wisconsin, etc.].

To say nothing about the respective pedigrees of both Martin / Farmer.

Duce and Carter were absolutely losses. We replaced them with higher rated prospects. Will they be on par? Stay tuned -- but the sky isn't falling.

I like Wilson’s instincts. I think he’s a ball hawk. But his size is concerning at corner. As others have said, he fits best as a slot cover guy. But he will get some picks.

I miss Duce and I’m sure he would have improved here, but he got beat on a lotta double moves last year.

To a degree I think they are kinda similar, some risk taker that will get beat on occasion. But Duce was a lock up tackler…that’s where I think he’ll be missed.

We have no idea how good the transfer corners will be.
I don’t want to individually bash Duce. I think he was a lockup tackler his freshman year and made some shockingly impressive plays at the line of scrimmage. Think teams saw he could be beat downfield biting on fakes/double moves and there was no real adjustment I saw made throughout the 2022 season on that. Id prefer to still have him but imo Johnson has the higher upside and we have a lot of talented guys who will have chances in that group.

If CB is our weakest group right now on D, I think thats more a tribute to returning veterans and building talent all over the field than it is the cb room being in big trouble. I think either Quan or Jerry step up. Perry looks promising too. Remains to be seen with the transfers.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom