NC State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NC State

what kills me is we swept them this year, but we had zero chance of doing what they have done. They have 3 accomplished big men and guys who can shoot the 3. We have 1 big man and nobody that excels at shooting the 3.
Chris Bell is a better 3 point shooter than anyone on their team.

Why do people say stuff like this?

Just say "they have MANY shooters and they all play defense unlike us"

what kills me is we swept them this year, but we had zero chance of doing what they have done. They have 3 accomplished big men and guys who can shoot the 3. We have 1 big man and nobody that excels at shooting the 3.
Well, two points: SU went 2-1 against NC State, so not a sweep, and without discussing anything else of his game, Bell is pretty elite at shooting the three.

However, I agree with the SU couldn't do anything like this. And part of that is that 1) overall, I don't think NC State's W/L record was fully representative of their talent and 2) I don't think SU's two wins against them was indicative of anything in particular. The first game was at the dome and NC State had 14 TOs, shot poorly, and Mintz had 22 FTAs. The second game NC State kept Mintz off the line, shot the ball better, and minimized TOs, but they had to deal with Bell being unconscious. The third game was over before it started.

Here are NC State's O-ratings for the three games against SU and the current season average (per BBRef): 88.8 (76%), 119.6 (109%), and 116.7 (106%) against a season average of 109.9

Here are SU's O-ratings for the three games against NCSt and the current season average (per BBRef): 105.2 (99%), 125.4 (118%), and 91.4 (86.3) against a season average of 105.9.

In my view, and this is why the play the games and metrics are only for evaluation and comparison, SU got away with two wins that they shouldn't have based on their performances compared to their season averages. The way they lined up was that NC State's offense was bad, average, and average while SU's was average, exceptional, and below average.

They are literally the complete opposite of our team.

LOL WUT??!!

Chris Bell has a sadz. Dude shot FORTY TWO PERCENT from 3 this past season.
That was 2nd OA of all ACC players (by literally a 100th of a % - .420 vs .421 to Hinson from Pitt)
Bell was also 2nd OA in the ACC in conference-only play, shooting .433.
5th OA in # of made 3's / game.

That all kinda seems like excelling at shooting the 3.

And while JJ "only" shot 32%, that average was dragged waaaay down by his abyssmal overall shooting in the early part of the season.
He shot 36% vs the ACC.

Maliq didn't take many, but shot 37% from 3 for the season.

Bell was too inconsistent. He'd either have a big game or a donut. You couldn't count on him for something good or decent every game.

I'll root heavily for NC State against Purdue but don't expect them to get a fair shake from the refs. DJ Burns will be in foul trouble quickly.

Houston was a 7 point favorite, UCONN will be a 15 point favorite should they meet up
Not sure how much the point spread difference means.
There was no 3-pointer back then.
It was a different game.

UConn has some great talent.
But Houston had two guys who went on to be NBA Hall of Famers in Olujawon and Drexler.
Michael Young had a cup of coffee in the NBA as well.

Been hearing this throughout both tournaments.
In fairness to the refs on the men's side, Edey's a beast and manhandles those that guard him. He's going to draw fouls at a much higher clip than most. It's inevitable.

Not sure how much the point spread difference means.
There was no 3-pointer back then.
It was a different game.

UConn has some great talent.
But Houston had two guys who went on to be NBA Hall of Famers in Olujawon and Drexler.
Michael Young had a cup of coffee in the NBA as well.

Much easier back then to pull an upset without a shot clock, you could get a lead an just play keep away.

In fairness to the refs on the men's side, Edey's a beast and manhandles those that guard him. He's going to draw fouls at a much higher clip than most. It's inevitable.

That's fair, but he should be called for twice as many as well.

Wow. If that’s right, in today’s standards that’s hardly an upset at all. Crazy. People view that win as like a miracle on ice moment.
Radically considering the regular season games. Miracle on ice was like an nhl all star team losing to a college all star team.

Coach Straughn sharing DJ Burns thoughts on the NC State turn around and current run...
Screenshot_20240401-215723_Instagram.jpg

It is unfortunate that Burns didn't share this with our SU squad earlier in the season. Now.. new squad, new season... LGO!

Last edited:
If there is any solice it’s that I want NCstate to win and if they do we beat them twice this year
You gotta love Burns. He looks like he is having the time of his life. Probably gets walloped against Purdue and Edey but he has been awesome.

IMO, NCS can beat Purdue. Burns can neutralize Edey and NCS probably has the better supporting cast. They are only 3 pt dogs. My neighbor has a state of the art home theater and is a Purdue engineer, aren't they all, but I won't watch the game with him because, like Beadle, I'll be secretly rooting for NCS.
I think edey is going to eat burns and middlebrooks alive, can anyone else do anything to neutralize a seemingly resilient Nc State offense? I’m not sure. What I am sure of though, is that edey is going to get burns in foul trouble early and force them to play passively. I think edey goes for 26 and 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom