DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State

Do you cheer for players that leave your favorite professional team?
Yeah i do - I'm odd. I also don't get the I can't root for guys who left us, but can embrace people who did the same thing somewhere else. Do you embrace the girl who turned you down to date some a--hat only to take her back when she gets dumped?

Also, I want everyone who started their career here to do well. Especially in football, as I think it shows all the underrecruited kids that SU has a good eye for diamonds in the rough, and that coming here may lead to bigger things.

We need niches to help get talented players on campus. Find the guys that the big boys miss, don't want or don't have room for. Hope they stay but at least use their talents for as long as we can. In my eyes, being a transition/stepping stone to a bigger/better program is (in an odd way) a selling point.

I loathe Ohio State with the burning hatred of 1000 suns. Can't stand that program, or their insipid fanbase.

But when Carter transferred there, he indicated that for his family getting the NIL [and it was "only" like ~$60K] was "life changing money." Given his impoverished background, tough to fault the kid.

So while I hate OSU, and I hate that we lost a player of Carter's worth, I give him a pass on this.

Yeah i do - I'm odd. I also don't get the I can't root for guys who left us, but can embrace people who did the same thing somewhere else. Do you embrace the girl who turned you down to date some a--hat only to take her back when she gets dumped?

Also, I want everyone who started their career here to do well. Especially in football, as I think it shows all the underrecruited kids that SU has a good eye for diamonds in the rough, and that coming here may lead to bigger things.

We need niches to help get talented players on campus. Find the guys that the big boys miss, don't want or don't have room for. Hope they stay but at least use their talents for as long as we can. In my eyes, being a transition/stepping stone to a bigger/better program is (in an odd way) a selling point.
You can root for whoever you want to root for, I don’t think rooting for players that transferred out is wrong. Just for me personally I root for Syracuse and their players. And for the Pros I’m a die hard Giants fan, when we lose a player via free agency I’m not actively rooting for that player on their new team. Back to the college discussion, since we’re in the Jahad Carter thread I’ll use him for an example. I appreciate everything Jahad Carter did for us while he was here and I do hope he has success but I’m not going to watch or root for Ohio State more so than I did before he transferred there. So it also could be your definition of cheering/rooting. Because I’m sure nobody here wishes anything but the best for Jahad.

Last edited:

Obviously I wish no ill-will on anyone. But, it just bums me out that these guys didn’t stay. I get the point of them transferring I do, just never feels good when you lose “your guy”. I want them to do well, but also I can’t muster up fake enthusiasm for them and their teams this year. I just am kinda “meh” to the whole situation.

Completely agree. People shouldn't expect us to follow or care about the team a former player goes to. I didn't hover of DeVito's stats at Illinois last year, or over the kid who went to Seton Hall, etc.

Best of luck to them, no hard feelings, but I'm disappointed that you didn't cash in on the full opportunity that exists here. Like with both of these D Backs; it's not like we aren't turning out pros every single year. It's a clear strength in our talent evaluation and player development abilities as a program. And now we seem to be getting competitive to a reasonable extent in NIL. Yes, we can't compete with crazy money, but it seems like we are not going to get absolutely rolled going forward.

I was worried about us turning into a "Selling School" last April when everything was sideways for a few weeks. It feels like we are back from the ledge. Now, if Autry can win 20 games and we can make a bowl again, we will be in great shape going forward.

just curious - do you cheer for the guys that portal in?

Are you suggesting that we should root for our opponents?

I don't think this was a well-thought out reaction. You're a very solid poster. You can't scold people for not rooting for people who are no longer on our team. We're not relatives.

People coming here that can contribute helps us. Starters with eligibility leaving doesn’t. All conference starters with eligibility really doesn’t help us. It’s a simple concept.

I’m also not aware of any all conference level starters from other P5 schools transferring TO Syracuse. We get guys that are looking for an opportunity to break through. That’s a lot easier to root for than guys that were already starters here that went for greener pastures.

I loathe Ohio State with the burning hatred of 1000 suns. Can't stand that program, or their insipid fanbase.

But when Carter transferred there, he indicated that for his family getting the NIL [and it was "only" like ~$60K] was "life changing money." Given his impoverished background, tough to fault the kid.

So while I hate OSU, and I hate that we lost a player of Carter's worth, I give him a pass on this.
I want to do a backend NIL deal that when Carter leaves for the NFL, he states his college as Syracuse just to mess with everyone.

Are you suggesting that we should root for our opponents?

I don't think this was a well-thought out reaction. You're a very solid poster. You can't scold people for not rooting for people who are no longer on our team. We're not relatives.
Who was scolding anyone? If anything your scolding me.

Riffing on the stepping stone concept, does anyone think we should install the easiest systems that we can win with so that we can get guys on the field faster, before we lose them? Should we consider adopting the O or D of a high end Power 2 team in order to set ourselves up for their discarded 4 stars that aim to transfer in once they’ve proven themselves on the field?

Obviously I wish no ill-will on anyone. But, it just bums me out that these guys didn’t stay. I get the point of them transferring I do, just never feels good when you lose “your guy”. I want them to do well, but also I can’t muster up fake enthusiasm for them and their teams this year. I just am kinda “meh” to the whole situation.
I definitely want their teams to fall flat on their faces, not that I think it'll happen. I want as little incentive as possible for guys to want to leave.

Yeah, that is odd. I root for SU and anyone involved with the team. I don't root for competitors. I want SU to succeed and everyone else to fail. To me, a guy that was a main contributor that transfers out is the same as a guy that picked a different school over us coming out of high school. I'll root for them as much as I would Patrick Ewing when he was at Georgetown.

Riffing on the stepping stone concept, does anyone think we should install the easiest systems that we can win with so that we can get guys on the field faster, before we lose them? Should we consider adopting the O or D of a high end Power 2 team in order to set ourselves up for their discarded 4 stars that aim to transfer in once they’ve proven themselves on the field?
Actually, I think we need guys to wait a couple years to get on the field. The starters we lost were guys that played early. If we can have the kind of depth and systems that keeps young guys developing for a couple years instead of showcasing them to other teams, maybe they don't have the incentive to leave when they have less eligibility left.

I root for every player who's ever worn our uniform. The fact that we lost great players to NIL bullies bodes well for future recruiting. We're okay with it when our guys go to the pros, because we know that will make us more alluring. The same goes for a guy doing so well he gets re-recruited and paid.
The solution is to get good enough to compete for NIL players.

I root for every player who's ever worn our uniform. The fact that we lost great players to NIL bullies bodes well for future recruiting. We're okay with it when our guys go to the pros, because we know that will make us more alluring. The same goes for a guy doing so well he gets re-recruited and paid.
The solution is to get good enough to compete for NIL players.
I just don't think prospects view guys leaving for bigger schools the same as guys leaving for the pros. Starters leaving for other schools says small time program. Guys leaving for the pros says big time program. At the same time it keeps us in a cycle of putting less experienced players into roles bigger than what we want, so it weakens the team and hinders our success. I don't see an upside to it.

It’s not Carter’s fault he transferred it’s Cuse’s.
He didn’t want to leave but it was too lucrative not to. If Cuse (the program, boosters, fans and local businesses were able to match the OSU offer he’d still be here.

He didn’t want to leave but it was too lucrative not to. If Cuse (the program, boosters, fans and local businesses were able to match the OSU offer he’d still be here.
While that’s true, there’s no guarantee that OSU wouldn’t have upped the offer.

Outside of some billionaire coming in and bankrolling SU’s collectives, this is going to be an arms race similar to pro sports and smaller market schools are going to be at a consistent disadvantage unfortunately.

This concept that SU being a stepping stone for other P5 programs is somehow good for us is bizarre.
For my part, I don’t like it either. I am only acknowledging it as a new factor in recruiting and building a better team and while I started out somewhat sarcastically (in my mind at least) I began to wonder how we can work the new normal to our greatest advantage no matter how I feel about it. I just don’t think we can get where we want to be looking for 5 year diamonds in the rough all the time and hiding them until they are in their 4th year.

As example, look at Lamson. Other than a spring game, we never saw him play and he’s now gone after 3 years. He was an under-recruited diamond in the rough. He seems indicative of that “5 year player” model in today’s impatient sports world. Do we still cheer his success at Stanford? He couldn’t wait, and he left us. 3 years teaching him the offense and he’s gone. We have nothing to show for it. How does this help our recruiting? J’had Carter at least saw the field. We got to see some of his potential. At OSU they will have to talk about his stats at Syracuse. If he goes pro, they will show clips of him in our uniform as well as OSU come draft cycle. They will look at his career trajectory and include us. I like neither scenario, but I still think the latter serves us better than the former.

It’s sad his predicament is so bad that 60G’s is life changing money for his family. I get why he did it but I still think he may get burned in the long run. Play one more year at Cuse where you’re a returning starter in a D you know for less NIL and get drafted this spring for big money. Then 60G’s will look like peanuts.

Obviously that is still possible at OSU but you need to beat out other NFL guys just to get on the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom