NIT Bracketology | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

NIT Bracketology

Totally agree.

I remember the year after they went to the FF when Wallace and Sims were seniors. Team didn't make it to the big dance but instead NIT. Had a home game against FSU and got beat by 15. Hill, Burgan, and a few others could have cared less. Think they ended up getting booed too.
i was at that game. About 4000 people tops were there. It was the first time since 1981 that we were in the NIT and I have loathed that tournament ever since. It truly was one of the worst sporting experiences I have ever sat through in my life and I have seen a lot of stinkers in my day

i was at that game. About 4000 people tops were there. It was the first time since 1981 that we were in the NIT and I have loathed that tournament ever since.
Yep me too. It was spring break and we were sitting in the seats directly across from the SU bench. Felt like we had wasted a trip and money that night for them to show out like that.

I agree, Red did amazing. The concern I have is that we are looking at a complete roster overhaul. Shouldn’t this have really happened before this season?
No because a complete overhaul would have made JB look bad. So Red stayed with the players recruited under JB and let it play out.

Doesn’t the NCAA own and run the NIT?I think years ago it wasn’t run by the NCAA, but now that this is their baby why in the world would they open the portal before the NIT is over?
Absolutely stupid business to allow this to happen.What would it hurt to push back the portal opening a couple weeks?

Doesn’t the NCAA own and run the NIT?I think years ago it wasn’t run by the NCAA, but now that this is their baby why in the world would they open the portal before the NIT is over?
Absolutely stupid business to allow this to happen.What would it hurt to push back the portal opening a couple weeks?
I bet they never even put a thought into it killing the NIT because it isn't the cash cow that the Big Dance is.

Give it a rest dude, he’s gone.

Yeah, sorry but that sucks. He's probably our best player, no disrespect intended to Maliq.

yes and in a couple of years I am confident that they will merge it into one tournament. The NIT is on its last legs

Ehh, who cares? Let's start the rebuild.

And, to be clear, I hope its a complete rebuild.

Would be cool if Red approached this w a Fran like fervor.

Need rebounding, defense, shooting, ball handling, & stronger, more experienced, hungry, high IQ players.
It needs to be part portal and part organic through HS recruiting. It cannot happen in one season with a bunch of Free Agents unless you get very lucky.

Just my thoughts in this unlimited transfer, free agency world.

I can't picture any of these guys succeeding at LeMoyne or any other school. If you were a head coach, name a Syracuse player that you would want as a key cog to your team. Nobody wants a me first player or a player with specific deficiencies that are going to be exposed no matter where they play.

I like Justin Taylor but will his 3 point percentage suddenly improve? Same with Cuffe. Will Peter Carey be able to develop an outside shot or be able to make a difference on defense. Will Bell improve his all around skills or will he still be one dimensional?

McLeod would be a big difference on LeMoyne's level, but he will be in demand no matter how big a project he is simply due to his height and not his skill set.

Would a player like Judah or Copeland make players around them better like a point guard should? Neither one is a true shooting guard as they are no threat from outside. They can get to the rim, but would they make the team better?

NC State did well when Horne sat out because they had guys who elevated their game and fill needs. Guys that who performed well when their number was called. I'm not a Keatts guy, but he brought in guys from the portal who were able to do well when needed.
The local kid, Symir Torrence, who went to Binghamton did pretty well this year. He average about 2 pts a game for us.

I think Justin is a solid defender who was unselfish and given a lower level of competition in the NEC he could actually find his offense again. Hima would be a nice addition to work on his Masters and help at center or power forward.
The NEC is the bottom of D1.

It needs to be part portal and part organic through HS recruiting. It cannot happen in one season with a bunch of Free Agents unless you get very lucky.

Just my thoughts in this unlimited transfer, free agency world.
Agreed. & Red needs time he'll increasingly not have - unless they get to 23ish wins next year. But, likewise, it can no longer happen with just HS kids.

2-3 5th year seniors steeped in your S&C program & system are a thing of the past.

I think the new reality, at least for SU right now, is a couple HS studs, 1-2 who stick around & know your system, & the rest from the portal. There is no buffer for 3 year projects anymore.

Need good, hungry, but adaptable kids. Kids who were somehow underappreciated somewhere else & are hungry to win, now. Need to develop chemistry quickly & work out all the kinks before tournament time.

No because a complete overhaul would have made JB look bad. So Red stayed with the players recruited under JB and let it play out.
So instead they forced red to field a subpar team with behavioral issues so that he can look bad?

That is some 4D chess

yes and in a couple of years I am confident that they will merge it into one tournament. The NIT is on its last legs
But TV and promoters in Vegas will bring out The South Henderson Invitational Tournament to replace it cuz FloMaxSports Channel can sell PPV to fans at Austin Peay and UT Rio Grande.

The local kid, Symir Torrence, who went to Binghamton did pretty well this year. He average about 2 pts a game for us.

I think Justin is a solid defender who was unselfish and given a lower level of competition in the NEC he could actually find his offense again. Hima would be a nice addition to work on his Masters and help at center or power forward.
The NEC is the bottom of D1.
I'm not going to argue with your comments, and I said I liked JT, but there is no guarantee he would regain his three point shooting which a lot of teams, especially LeMoyne depends on. I'm not sold on Hima's injuries and I'm not convinced he is quick enough for any level of D1. If anything he can transfer to Siena, a team that lost 28 games this year and will have many spots to fill.

I did think Jon Bol Ajak would have been a good player at LeMoyne.

I think Symir could have helped Syracuse with some maturity and solid backup skills but not knowing about Westry not playing, there really was no roster spot. He did play triple minutes at Binghamton this year, so his stats were going to be better.

A lot has been said about Judah / Cope and how it appears to be a mutual parting. Does anyone know where Red stands on Bell? Sounds like it’s 50/50 if he’s going to chase a bag but would love to know if Red would like to keep him and if he’s able to

i was at that game. About 4000 people tops were there. It was the first time since 1981 that we were in the NIT and I have loathed that tournament ever since. It truly was one of the worst sporting experiences I have ever sat through in my life and I have seen a lot of stinkers in my day
I remember watching this game on TV and chatting about it here. We were all commenting on the unusual people in CTO level seats.

A lot has been said about Judah / Cope and how it appears to be a mutual parting. Does anyone know where Red stands on Bell? Sounds like it’s 50/50 if he’s going to chase a bag but would love to know if Red would like to keep him and if he’s able to
I personally don't think he'll be back. Doubt he'll want to take a reserve role behind Malik and Donnie. Also one less attitude to deal with.

My thing with Bell is where does he fit with the team next year.

People have said we are 100% bringing in a starting center from the portal
People have said that Brown is 100% starting
People have said that Freeman is 100% starting

So... Where does that leave Bell? Because Bell will want to start I doubt he will come back and accept a bench role. I don't know.

Totally agree.

I remember the year after they went to the FF when Wallace and Sims were seniors. Team didn't make it to the big dance but instead NIT. Had a home game against FSU and got beat by 15. Hill, Burgan, and a few others could have cared less. Think they ended up getting booed too.
That was the first game I have ever turned off early because I wasn't going to watch if the players were obviously not trying as hard as they could. And it was obvious.

I'd imagine they're big believers in what he's done and his potential to do more, but really want him locked in working on things to improve all around.

We added six new players last summer. That's not a roster overhaul?

You don't replace all of them every year.
Pitino, who is often credited with being one step ahead, brought in 11 new players this season, and said he needs to find 7 for next season. So maybe a significant number of schools turning over the roster every year will become the model, at least until some rules are formulated.

Pitino, who is often credited with being one step ahead, brought in 11 new players this season, and said he needs to find 7 for next season. So maybe a significant number of schools turning over the roster every year will become the model, at least until some rules are formulated.
I still remember lots of starters and key reserves from teams 15+ years ago...now I can't remember guys from two years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom