DE Josh Black is returning | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DE Josh Black is returning

They got a lot out of those 3 chords they played.

Apparently Josh Black told Dino that they could never tear us apart.

He said I’m What You Need.

After 2 losing seasons, winning will be a New Sensation
We need Josh to be a Devil inside, because The One Thing our D needs is DL depth to go with our talent at LB & DB.

Hoping Szmyt will be back to Kick.

Last edited:
I'm hoping next year is when he goes from a fantastic athlete to a fantastic player. He's been okay, but to quote Dino, I believe he's got more meat on the bone. In addition to the benefit of having him back as a player and leader, it also helps give us more scholarship to be used elsewhere. One less DL to bring in can hopefully help us elsewhere ala QB, OL.

On defense, that's just not true. We lack a guy that can play on the nose and at least hold the LOS. That's it. Guys have been playing one position closer to the ball than they should have this year. Kingsley was the only guy playing where he really should and I thought he did a good job.

We have plenty of guys that can play the 3 and 5 tech spots in the three man front, Black being one of those. Roscoe played well at the end of the year. McKinnley at the 3 spot will be fine if he comes back. Calab and Drew will be solid there or the 5. '

On the OL getting either a center OR tackle would be nice, because that would add to the options the team has. But it's not essential.
I'm sorry I don't agree. None of our returning DL's made enough plays for me to say we are set there. I understand people were technically out of position, and I understand we have plenty of guys who can play the spots. I think we need better.

Happy to see. We absolutely need our OL and DL to be senior (and super senior) heavy to have any chance.

I'm sorry I don't agree. None of our returning DL's made enough plays for me to say we are set there. I understand people were technically out of position, and I understand we have plenty of guys who can play the spots. I think we need better.

"Need better" doesn't start by getting rid of the best that we currently have.

What are the odds that either an underclassman or a transfer is going to be markedly better than a SIXTH year Senior??

Ideally we bring in somebody who can compete for time on the DL, but until we do, hanging onto the biggest, strongest, most experienced guys we already have - is a very good start towards next season.

"Need better" doesn't start by getting rid of the best that we currently have.

What are the odds that either an underclassman or a transfer is going to be markedly better than a SIXTH year Senior??

Ideally we bring in somebody who can compete for time on the DL, but until we do, hanging onto the biggest, strongest, most experienced guys we already have - is a very good start towards next season.
Never said get rid of him.

He said I’m What You Need.

After 2 losing seasons, winning will be a New Sensation
We need Josh to be a Devil inside, because The One Thing our D needs is DL depth to go with our talent at LB & DB.

Hoping Szmyt will be back to Kick.
Josh will Mystify offensive lines next year and not just Listen Like Thieves but lead in takeaways.

It’ll be an Original Sin that anyone doubted the 2021 team and will have numerous saturday prime time games as the networks say to SU Need You Tonight.

This Time next year we’ll be saying Don’t Change

The d-line was ineffectual against the run. However, plugging in a veteran NT who can plug the middle / occupy a double team might make things fall into place with the existing personnel. Williams, Black, Jonathan, and Roscoe would be more effective playing alongside someone who can do those things.

Go is right -- it doesn't have to be a dominant / NFL prospect type, just someone who can fill that role, and the overall productivity of the entire DL will improve.

Our run D certainly did seam to get better at the end of the season though. We were not getting gashed like we were earlier. Hopefully everybody just started understanding their assignments better in the front 7 and that continues next year. Having Black around next season will hopefully help to continue that steady growth on that side. Will need to work on our 3rd down defense next.

Can REX play DT? LOL...Need a 320lb nose tackle to let our speedy LBs run free

Speaking of Roscoe, I assume he can come back one more year too? Assuming Dino and ADJW says okay.

I hope Harper can make another jump up.

Agreed we rally need to find a P5 caliber NG
Not sure. Seemed to get man handled in ND game. Need a nt at 315 to 325. Similar size to slayton. 6’5 325.
Hope Roscoe comes back.

Run d was getting a lot better towards the end. I feel lb and dL started to really understand system. If we have a spring I am excited what t white will be able to accomplish prior to next season.

I whole heartedly disagree with this statement. First, beggars can’t be choosers... Tell me, how many guys do we have at his size? Feel like we need as much beef as we can upfront. Second, if they haven’t “jumped” off the screen, taking every opportunity they can get to show case their skills would be an obvious choice for them.
Black is one of the top 5 players on the team.

Not sure. Seemed to get man handled in ND game. Need a nt at 315 to 325. Similar size to slayton. 6’5 325.
Hope Roscoe comes back.

Oh no problem. Let’s just go to the DT tackle tree and pick us out a nice big DT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom