Dear Syracuse University | Syracusefan.com

Dear Syracuse University

OttoMets

Living Legend
Given your historically poor ticket sales, it's obvious that tens of thousands of people aren't interested in the product you're selling.

So why don't you do a favor to the people who do want to spend money and attend your games and at least give us some of the same amenities that home viewers enjoy on their televisions? There's no good reason to offer no replays of Cooney's shot clock violation during the review last night.

You must recognize that you need to do a better job. This is an easy and no-cost way to start. Thanks.

Given your historically poor ticket sales, it's obvious that tens of thousands of people aren't interested in the product you're selling.

So why don't you do a favor to the people who do want to spend money and attend your games and at least give us some of the same amenities that home viewers enjoy on their televisions? There's no good reason to offer no replays of Cooney's shot clock violation during the review last night.

You must recognize that you need to do a better job. This is an easy and no-cost way to start. Thanks.

Been beating the replay drum for a couple years now. Don't think anyone up there is listening.

Been beating the replay drum for a couple years now. Don't think anyone up there is listening.

Was reminded of your posts when I saw the empty student section yesterday.

I guess 100 people paying $70 apiece are more valuable to the University than 700 people at $20 apiece.

I guess 100 people paying $70 apiece are more valuable to the University than 700 people at $20 apiece.

Man even 100 students in the student section would be better than the people lounging across 4 seats like they were at the beach that I saw there last night. And I guarantee whatever students they could get to show up would be into it and intense and would really enhance the atmosphere on an otherwise dull January night.

Man even 100 students in the student section would be better than the people lounging across 4 seats like they were at the beach that I saw there last night. And I guarantee whatever students they could get to show up would be into it and intense and would really enhance the atmosphere on an otherwise dull January night.
They are not on campus

Yes, I don't get it. Must look horrible on tv also. They could even sell a discount mini package for the games during vacation for sections 103' 104. Market the students from other colleges returning to CNY for vacation. I had 2 young female Niagara students from Rochester next to me for the UNC game that they got as a Christmas present. They loved it and said they want to go to more games.

Market area high schools - "welcome CNS, Fabius- Pompey, Fairport students to the dome" etc. Different games during vacation time, market and invite different groups of high schools. Put them in these open sections with discounted tickets. Pretty weird and ridiculous to see the cheerleaders standing in front of an empty section right behind the basket on SU's side.

Yes, I don't get it. Must look horrible on tv also. They could even sell a discount mini package for the games during vacation for sections 103' 104. Market the students from other colleges returning to CNY for vacation. I had 2 young female Niagara students from Rochester next to me for the UNC game that they got as a Christmas present. They loved it and said they want to go to more games.

Market area high schools - "welcome CNS, Fabius- Pompey, Fairport students to the dome" etc. Different games during vacation time, market and invite different groups of high schools. Put them in these open sections with discounted tickets. Pretty weird and ridiculous to see the cheerleaders standing in front of an empty section right behind the basket on SU's side.

Perfect. (And all of those observations exactly mirror what we said last night - it was funny to see cheerleaders yelling to a crowd that had fewer people than the cheerleading squad.)

So freaking stupid. Drives me nuts.

San Diego State started selling a mini-package this year. I like that idea - doesn't seem like it would be that hard to pull off.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/08/sdsu-basketball-tickets-5-games-semester-break/

They are not on campus
Law students are on campus, and I bet some local-er students and die hards would want to come back. Unfortunately, the Athletics Dept does not include any winter break games into season tickets, so students must pay an additional $30 per game they want to go to. No way Pitt did that.

Law students are on campus, and I bet some local-er students and die hards would want to come back. Unfortunately, the Athletics Dept does not include any winter break games into season tickets, so students must pay an additional $30 per game they want to go to. No way Pitt did that.

To insure that they actually attend, they should also offer students a discounted mini package. I think it was around 5/6 home games they miss- around $85 or so would be a very good deal and enough of an incentive hopefully for students to actually attend especially considering UNC & 2 to 3 other ACC games were also included besides the OOC games.

Pitt had a heckuva crowd in the student section during break ...

Just saying. There's no reason SU can't fill those seats.

Isn't Pitt considered more of a commuter school, I don't know for sure, but I have heard a large portion of their Student body comes from the surrounding area.

This could have something to do with it also. From the Pitt site:
upload_2016-1-14_17-0-10.png

Isn't Pitt considered more of a commuter school, I don't know for sure, but I have heard a large portion of their Student body comes from the surrounding area.

It could be smarter placement - moving people to sit in the student's seats also. They normally sell out their much smaller 12, 500 arena. They had 10, 400 for their game against us, only 8, 600 for Maryland Eastern shore and 10,200 for Georgia Tech all while the students were gone. They very well may have more commuter students but their attendance suffered too. Weird so far I don't see another ACC team that had to play 4 conference games while their students are on vacation. The conference certainly isn't helping SU with attendance or home court advantage with the conference schedule they gave us either.

Regarding conference games while the students are out - Pitt will just have 2 games, Duke just has 2 games, Wake Forest has 2, UNC has 3 games, Ga Tech had no conference games during the entire vacation, we have 4 Uggh

It could be smarter placement - moving people to sit in the student's seats also. They normally sell out their much smaller 12, 500 arena. They had 10, 400 for their game against us, only 8, 600 for Maryland Eastern shore and 10,200 for Georgia Tech all while the students were gone. They very well may have more commuter students but their attendance suffered too. Weird so far I don't see another ACC team that had to play 4 conference games while their students are on vacation. The conference certainly isn't helping SU with attendance or home court advantage with the conference schedule they gave us either.

Regarding conference games while the students are out - Pitt will just have 2 games, Duke just has 2 games, Wake Forest has 2, UNC has 3 games, Ga Tech had no conference games during the entire vacation, we have 4 Uggh

And yet we have no game of any kind on the first weekend in February. Thanks, ACC.

I just picture the refs wearing opposing teams jerseys even at home games now.
It helps me make sense of all the ridiculous calls against us, and is very therapeutic.

If I put a penny in the jar over the past 3 season for all the times we have been hit on a layup/dunk without a whistle I would probably have over 4 dollars and we have only 100 games.
If I put another penny for all the times we get held around screens and bodied on the drive (usually on the same play without a whistle,l while the other teams molests us 40 feet from the basket the last 3 years it would probably be closer to 12 dollars.

If you wanted to make that closer to 22 dollars the last 3 years, add another penny for every time the ref is out of position on purpose, or the one furthest from the ball and with the most obstructed view makes the call.

Want to make it 32 dollars count all the times the last 3 years that teams are allowed to ride us with their legs, arms, elbows and stomachs physically without a whistle meanwhile our centers arms are straight up and down outside the circle but if they are even moving the slightest bit they whistle it. On top of it other teams are allowed to reach like hell especially their guards but not us all to often. They reward overly aggressive ball pressure because of its hustle but ignore all the over contatct which is beyond three fouls on one play(one for each step they are still riding us). Then there is the floping where they body you and fall over backwards at the same time giving us a quarter second to react that one is my personal favorite bullcrap whistle of all time.

We get more worse calls against us on both ends of the ball then ANY team in college ball. I am at a level where I am accustomed to unwatchable games because of it.

Last edited:
Man even 100 students in the student section would be

There have to be lots of students like me who lived off campus in the apartments and came back early from Christmas break to work. Just doesn't make any sense to me to not reach out to those kids.

I always assume that if they didn't show the replay that the call should have gone our way and they don't want to rile up the crowd by confirming that. (I also think that it's the conference that controls that, not the school.)

Why not send this to the Bartlett guy from the football board?

He may be football only (I'n not sure if he is or not) but I bet he could get it onto the right person's desk...

This could have something to do with it also. From the Pitt site:
View attachment 54770
Exactly. I don't get why the AD doesn't offer the student section seats to the public for like $5 when the students are on break and not on campus. Better than having all those empty seats. Is that so hard to at least try?

Exactly. I don't get why the AD doesn't offer the student section seats to the public for like $5 when the students are on break and not on campus. Better than having all those empty seats. Is that so hard to at least try?

Greed.

The corresponding seats behind the North basket are "D Preferred" and require a donation.

If I was a D Preferred season ticket holder and Orange Club member, I'd be pissed off if someone could purchase the same seats I have for only $5.

The corresponding seats behind the North basket are "D Preferred" and require a donation.

If I was a D Preferred season ticket holder and Orange Club member, I'd be pissed off if someone could purchase the same seats I have for only $5.

What about allowing other season ticket holders who sit up high to pay just a bit more to move down to those seats for the time the students are out? There have to be solutions to this that smart people at SU can figure out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom