Delegation, of Course, Brings the Risk... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Delegation, of Course, Brings the Risk...

Hopefully , by the CMU game they will have Erv Phillips coached up enough to get him the ball in space , such as a bubble screen or a reverse. His vision , explosive speed and decisive cuts were really special on kickoff returns.

I really really like the Erv's potential. He could be that play maker we so desperately need. You have to have those home run threats...someone you don't have to scheme open. Erv could definitely be that guy.

I don't think you could say Shafer's decision to go for the fake was gusty? If anything it was ludicrous. Think about it he went for a fake FG in OT, on the 4 inch line, vs an FCS opponent, at home. Why in the world that decision was ever made I will never understand. I can't even begin to think of the backlash if that didn't succeed. If you can't line up and punch it in from that distance, at home, against that opponent then we have no business fielding a football program.

I don't recall saying it was smart or a great play. I said it was gutsy. It was, even if ludicrous too. Had he run that play to beat ND we would be saying how different it is to have Shafer as the coach compared to Marrone. When the play happened I thought it was ludicrous and still do. Doesn't change the fact that it was gutsy and completely different than what Marrone would have called.

Arguing about whether we should have or even could have just punched it in, really has nothing to do with whether it took some b@lls to call the play he did. Sure, we should have manhandled them all game, we should have run the ball down their throats from the time Wilson came in, we should have tried to integrate Broyld into the game in some capacity, and we should have been able to run the ball in at the goal line but I'm pretty sure not too many people on this board believe that we would have. I think we would have been stuffed.

Enough with the bubble screen bs and the 50 pound weight advantage nonsense. We only resorted to bubble screens after hunt went down and even after that there weren't that many. I watched plenty of college football yesterday and guess what? Every team but Alabama featured a horizontal passing game to get the ball to their athletes in space. We all complained that we wanted a modern offense which spreads the field out and that's what we have so quit whining. We need to do a better job of executing (ie our guard needs to not fall down on every play and actually hit someone) and disguising the formation a bit.

With regards to the 50 pound weight advantage... It was very obvious that our oline sucked from the very beginning, when we did try to run it. You think McDonald might of seen that and adjusted to it? What does everyone propose, running it every play when we couldn't even get a yard when it counted the most? Then the complaints would be why did McDonald try to force the run when it wasn't there.

I am not giving McDonald a pass, he needs to disguise plays so the D doesn't know what's coming. Hopefully he straightens it out before CMU but let's all stop with the bubble screen and run game nonsense. We weren't that bubble screen heavy and our oline played like crap which meant we couldn't run it.
I don't think that correct , hunt threw a ton of screens to broyld, one to Lewis an bunch to estime, one to west that got knocked down.