Deregulation of conference Championship games in 2016 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Deregulation of conference Championship games in 2016

Do you have an outline for a 4-5-5 for 9 conference games Including Notre Dame as well? Isn't that where this is all eventually heading?
If ND joined full-time I think we would get 4 pods and each it would be NFL scheduling you would play your pod and another pod in rotation and one team from each of the other 2 pods.

can someone point me to a link or summary of what the hell 355 is again? i have a mental block about this, i know i've asked before and forgot the answer
Split the 13 other teams in the league into three groups. A,B,C. The first group is your traditional rivals--BC, Pitt and VaTech(?). You play them each year. Group B is 5 other teams who you will play in the first year. You play the 5 teams in Group C the 2nd year. The 3rd year you are back to Group B, reversing home/away of the first year. The 4th year you reverse the home/away of the 2nd year. 3-5-5.

If ND joined full-time I think we would get 4 pods and each it would be NFL scheduling you would play your pod and another pod in rotation and one team from each of the other 2 pods.

Gotcha, though a 9 game conference schedule would certainly ease our ooc scheduling woes.

But, who would be the 16th team?

Gotcha, though a 9 game conference schedule would certainly ease our ooc scheduling woes.
ACC can't go to 9 conference games because Florida State and Clemson need 7 home games and with their SEC rival and ND twice in 6 years they can't get 7 home games with 9 conference games. That is why the ACC didn't go 9 conference games and won't until FSU/Clemson are okay with it.

I'm not overwhelmed by those options.
If ACC got Notre Dame to commit full-time ANY team would be worth it. As ND would add a LOT of value to the ACC in their next contract and with a potential network.

It seems incredibly odd, unless "3 Divisions" is essentially used as a scheduling device.

But let's wait and see, who knows.
print out the divisions, use it to help you schedule, then tear up the sheet of paper and put everyone in one table.

maybe teams prefer the everyone's a winner stuff, ADs love 1st place trophies

If ACC got Notre Dame to commit full-time ANY team would be worth it. As ND would add a LOT of value to the ACC in their next contract and with a potential network.
So, with four 4-team pods, would you have conference semifinals and then finals?

That would be a tough sell.

Alsacs showed one possible configuration for it above. It comes down to having 3 opponents that you play every year, the remaining 10 opponents are played twice over 4 years. This guarantees that every team in the ACC would play at the Dome at least once very 4 years, instead of once every 12 years. The top 2 teams (by ranking, or whatever) would play in the ACC Championship Game.

And every 5th year you could rotate the 3 permanent teams as well. It's so simple like someone posted it will never happen.

I wouldn't set it up like Alsacs did. Your 3 permanents should be 1 northern partner, 1 mid states, and 1 southern state partner so for SU it could be for first 4 years - BC, Wake & Miami. Second 4 years - Pitt, VT & GT. Etc, etc, etc.

I would just be happy to get FSU and Clemson every other year vs every year. The 355 setup is great. 3 divisions? Sounds insane.

So, with four 4-team pods, would you have conference semifinals and then finals?

That would be a tough sell.
No need for semifinal.
Ex.
Pod 1
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake
Pod 2
Syracuse
Boston College
Pitt
Louisville
Pod 3
UVA
VPI
Navy
Notre Dame
Pod 4
Florida State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Miami

Pod 1/2 would be a division year 1
Pod 1/3 would be a division year 2
Pod1/4 would be a division year 3
and so.

No need for semifinal.
Ex.
Pod 1
UNC
Duke
NC State
Wake
Pod 2
Syracuse
Boston College
Pitt
Louisville
Pod 3
UVA
VPI
Navy
Notre Dame
Pod 4
Florida State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Miami

Pod 1/2 would be a division year 1
Pod 1/3 would be a division year 2
Pod1/4 would be a division year 3
and so.
My head hurts.

But I'm not worrying about it. I don't see ND making a move, period. Especially with the very real possibility that the national playoff will be going to 8 teams fairly soon.

And every 5th year you could rotate the 3 permanent teams as well. It's so simple like someone posted it will never happen.

I wouldn't set it up like Alsacs did. Your 3 permanents should be 1 northern partner, 1 mid states, and 1 southern state partner so for SU it could be for first 4 years - BC, Wake & Miami. Second 4 years - Pitt, VT & GT. Etc, etc, etc.
The way I set it up wouldn't benefit us, but honestly our demands are low on the priority of the ACC and would likely be the template the ACC would follow.

UNC has to play UVA, NC State, Duke
UVA has to play UNC and VPI
NC State has to play Clemson, Wake, and UNC
Duke has to play Georgia Tech, UNC, and Wake
Clemson has to play Georgia Tech, Florida State, and NC State
Florida State has to play Miami, Clemson and wants Georgia Tech annually.
Miami has to play Virginia Tech and Florida State
Georgia Tech has to play Duke and Clemson
Wake has to play NC State and Duke
Virginia Tech has to play UVA and Miami

Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Louisville have no juice.

Most teams have two rivals easily. I just configured it in a way for TV matchups and what I think would happen. I would love SU to get Miami annually, but TV would likely want Louisville v. Miami if possible.

The way I set it up wouldn't benefit us, but honestly our demands are low on the priority of the ACC and would likely be the template the ACC would follow.

UNC has to play UVA, NC State, Duke
UVA has to play UNC and VPI
NC State has to play Clemson, Wake, and UNC
Duke has to play Georgia Tech, UNC, and Wake
Clemson has to play Georgia Tech, Florida State, and NC State
Florida State has to play Miami, Clemson and wants Georgia Tech annually.
Miami has to play Virginia Tech and Florida State
Georgia Tech has to play Duke and Clemson
Wake has to play NC State and Duke
Virginia Tech has to play UVA and Miami

Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Louisville have no juice.

Most teams have two rivals easily. I just configured it in a way for TV matchups and what I think would happen. I would love SU to get Miami annually, but TV would likely want Louisville v. Miami if possible.
Yeah I would love to get Miami instead of Louisville. Doesn't Louisville owe us for pushing them over UConn for their ACC slot?

ND ain't joining the football conference as a full member, so no need to entertain that scenario.

penn st??

miguel-head-wall.gif

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 18m18 minutes ago
By way, don't mean to start anything but my 2 reliable ACC sources tell me the ACC is kicking around the idea of adding UCONN.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 18m18 minutes ago
By way, don't mean to start anything but my 2 reliable ACC sources tell me the ACC is kicking around the idea of adding UCONN.
The fact this guy has made himself relevant is amazing. I mean he has been wrong more times than Baghdad Bob and yet people still listen to him.

No conference is expanding in the near future except maybe the Big XII to get to 12. The ACC is done unless ND wanted to be in fulltime, the Big Ten isn't expanding because their TV contracts are coming up, the SEC is done, and the Pac-12 doesn't like the available schools so is fine at 12.

We know...that would be the best for 14...just one big division...but they are talking about 3 divisions
Heather Dinich caught up with John Swofford, and she asked him about this yesterday. I don't know where she found him. I assume he was in Indianapolis for the Men's Final Four supporting Duke and waving the ACC banner.

Heather Dinich @CFBHeather · 5h 5 hours ago
JS:We haven’t really discussed that to any degree of seriousness. A few yrs ago it came up briefly but didn’t get legs in our discussions.

Heather Dinich @CFBHeather · 5h 5 hours ago
Bowlsby told @dennisdoddcbs there's been talk about ACC going to 3 divisions but Swofford told me "that's unlikely in our league."

The fact this guy has made himself relevant is amazing. I mean he has been wrong more times than Baghdad Bob and yet people still listen to him.

No conference is expanding in the near future except maybe the Big XII to get to 12. The ACC is done unless ND wanted to be in fulltime, the Big Ten isn't expanding because their TV contracts are coming up, the SEC is done, and the Pac-12 doesn't like the available schools so is fine at 12.
No league would expand to move from an even to an uneven number of football members. 15 for football makes no sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom