Description of the Baylor Offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Description of the Baylor Offense

Another Big Difference:
"Lots of teams use this packaged concept, but the difference is in the split of the Baylor receivers. The slot receiver catches the screen four yards past the line of scrimmage, whereas many teams throw that pass behind the line" -SB Nation Football Study Hall

This takes losing yards out of the equation, puts defensive pass interference in if the defense reads it and gets through early, and it makes DBs unlikely to get in early anyways because they have to back off and keep their cushion since WRs come off the line instead of side stepping back at the snap.
Yes, and they run the shallow cross a bit deeper as well, which complements the screen routes.

I remember the screens Notre Dame was throwing at us last year: they were beyond the line of scrimmage, with the receiver in stride and two blocker out in front of him. They went up and down the field with that. Our screen was to a stationary receiver behind the line of scrimmage with one blocker. He typically had to fight his way back to the line of scrimmage.

The NFL has stressed this year and NCAA will likely stress next year, offensive pass interference on plays where wide receivers are blocking beyond the line of scrimmage while the ball is in the air.

The NFL has stressed this year and NCAA will likely stress next year, offensive pass interference on plays where wide receivers are blocking beyond the line of scrimmage while the ball is in the air.
Good to see you posting again, Buddha.

I'll believe it when I see it. I think this is too difficult to call consistently.

It better be only sometimes. MacDonald tried to do uptempo without getting the first downs and it doesn't work. Successful plays + uptempo works. Unsuccessful plays + uptempo not only fails. It helps the other team because they get the ball back all the more quickly. Your plays aren't going to automatically work just because you run them fast.
That's not accurate. McDonald's offense had no problem getting first downs. In fact, it was pretty efficient at that.

It had problems punching the ball in to the end zone, and I don't think it actually involved making any reads, it just utilized straight play calls and tried to make the plays look like reads.

That's not accurate. McDonald's offense had no problem getting first downs. In fact, it was pretty efficient at that.

It had problems punching the ball in to the end zone, and I don't think it actually involved making any reads, it just utilized straight play calls and tried to make the plays look like reads.

You have a weird understanding of efficient.

After being 9th in the country in 2012 in 3rd down conversion percentage, McDonald's two years were 81st and then 11oth, in total first downs 77th and 114th.

It was the opposite of no problem and in fact pretty inefficient.

After being 9th in the country in 2012 in 3rd down conversion percentage, McDonald's two years were 81st and then 11oth, in total first downs 77th and 114th.

Are we saying all of 2014 was "McDonald's offense?" These things are ridiculous to try to keep straight.

Shafer didn't demote him because we were having problems playing up tempo and handing the ball over on fast 3 and outs. He got demoted for being a basket case and because we weren't getting TDs.

Attrition.

No Nassib + no Lemon + no Sales + no Pugh = greatly diminished passing game.

And just to be clear, McDonald was unbelievably subpar, too.

Last edited:
OttoinGrotto said:
You forgot the most important element.

Grobs recruits?

Are we saying all of 2014 was "McDonald's offense?" These things are ridiculous to try to keep straight.

Shafer didn't demote him because we were having problems playing up tempo and handing the ball over on fast 3 and outs. He got demoted for being a basket case and because we weren't getting TDs.

It was his design, remember they didn't change it. You're the one that said those teams didn't have any problem with first downs with him.

They sucked with him for a year and a half and it kept getting worse, not better.

Through 1o/4, the day after the Lville game, SU was 88th in first downs, 110th in 3rd down conversions. So yeah they had a problem on 3rd down with McDonald.

Attrition.

No Nassib + no Lemon + no Sales + no Pugh = greatly diminished passing game.

And just to be clear, McDonald was unbelievably subpar, too.

Not relevant to the discussion.

So Phil Steele made BG's Johnson his 4th Team AA at QB...what the heck happened last night?

All I could tell is this offense isn't good in rain squalls and windy conditions. I'm more worried about the defense. Thankfully we don't play GTECH or Navy next year...

When the offense was clicking it was fun though...I expect to see a few of 58-27 type games next year. We'll be on the good side enough to give hope but when this offense gets shut down...expect to lose big occasionally.

Last edited:
It was his design, remember they didn't change it. You're the one that said those teams didn't have any problem with first downs with him.

They sucked with him for a year and a half and it kept getting worse, not better.

Through 1o/4, the day after the Lville game, SU was 88th in first downs, 110th in 3rd down conversions. So yeah they had a problem on 3rd down with McDonald.
Wait - we gave Lester a pass because it was McDonald's offense, not his, but also because of the injuries, but we don't give McDonald's offense the same pass for the injuries? Only Lester?

Also SWC and I aren't talking about 3rd down - we're talking about up tempo 3 and outs.

OttoinGrotto said:
Wait - we gave Lester a pass because it was McDonald's offense, not his, but also because of the injuries, but we don't give McDonald's offense the same pass for the injuries? Only Lester? Also SWC and I aren't talking about 3rd down - we're talking about up tempo 3 and outs.

No - we pin the last half of 2014 on Shafer. And he paid for it.

Not relevant to the discussion.

Losing key offensive performers is absolutely relevant when comparing 2012 offensive efficiency to 2013 lack thereof, without those impact performers.

Losing key offensive performers is absolutely relevant when comparing 2012 offensive efficiency to 2013 lack thereof, without those impact performers.

Grotto said that McDonald was very efficient in getting first downs, that was the subject. The year before was to contrast that his assertion wasn't accurate at all.

TexanMark said:
I'm more worried about the defense. Thankfully we don't play GTECH or Navy next year...

We shouldn't pretend that the outgoing defense had any success against the triple option. I mean, I try to block out that GT game in 2013 too but it turns out it really did happen. 58-27 or 56-0.

I'll take the punch in the stomach over the broken jaw. Would rather have neither but if I had to choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom