Desko Introduces Class Of 2014-15 | Syracusefan.com

Desko Introduces Class Of 2014-15

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://cuse.com/news/2014/9/11/MLAX_0911143220.aspx#.VBHjVfldVPd

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Head coach John Desko announced the addition of 18 student-athletes to the Syracuse men's lacrosse program on Thursday, Sept. 11.

This year's incoming class features 13 freshmen. The rookie crop is ranked 17th in Inside Lacrosse's list of the top 20 recruiting classes and features two players – No. 58 Austin Fusco and No. 60 Brad McKinney – ranked in the magazine's "Power 100."

Bolstering the group is the addition of five transfer students, including 2014 NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year Tim Barber and 2014 NJCAA Defensive Player of the Year Warren Hill from Onondaga Community College.

"There's a few that will likely play right away for us and the others we think will help us in the future," Desko said of the incoming class. "This is probably the biggest and physically strongest class, in terms of their size, that we've had at Syracuse University in a long time. There are some real physical specimens in this group."

Ralph D'Agostino's back.

Gale Thorpe made it after only 1 year at OCC.

I know I may sound spoiled (and I am), but #17 out of 20? Meh...doesn't sound Syracusey to me.

Last year we were #2

Next year we're supposed to be Top 5.

Extreme is correct, this class is an outlier. After last years huge haul there was no way this class was going to be huge and one of the top prospects is going prep for a year. The keys are actually the Juco Guys, Barber and Hill are huge pickups.

Quick thoughts - Sounds like Hill made it to campus, did anyone find him in the directory?

Obviously Barber made it as well but the other Native American player and faceoff guy didn't. I guess theres a chance he could enroll in January but at this point I am going to assume he probably wont make it period.

Pleasantly surprised to see that Thorpe made it. He has all four years of eligibility as well which is another bonus. Barring injury or him having an incredible fall ball I assume he will redshirt.

D'Agostino making it back is shocking. From Syracuse to Furman back to Syracuse. He will be a Jr eligibility wise and able to play right away. Kudos to whoever got him back in the fold, he should pay dividends immediately.

LOL, im losing it. He did play in 2013 though im pretty sure.

He couldn't have, otherwise he wouldn't be a Junior. He might have stayed at Raritan CC as a part-time student for a year.

2012 at Syracuse
2014 at Furman
2015 at Syracuse
2016 at Syracuse

He couldn't have, otherwise he wouldn't be a Junior. He might have stayed at Raritan CC as a part-time student for a year.

2012 at Syracuse
2014 at Furman
2015 at Syracuse
2016 at Syracuse

Ya ur right im thinking of 2012, either that or he only has one year of eligibility, I guessed he was a Jr but I had my timeline wrong.

Quick thoughts - Sounds like Hill made it to campus, did anyone find him in the directory?

Obviously Barber made it as well but the other Native American player and faceoff guy didn't. I guess theres a chance he could enroll in January but at this point I am going to assume he probably wont make it period.

Pleasantly surprised to see that Thorpe made it. He has all four years of eligibility as well which is another bonus. Barring injury or him having an incredible fall ball I assume he will redshirt.

D'Agostino making it back is shocking. From Syracuse to Furman back to Syracuse. He will be a Jr eligibility wise and able to play right away. Kudos to whoever got him back in the fold, he should pay dividends immediately.

Warren Hill, Goalie
Six Nations, Ontario, Canada (Hill Academy/Onondaga Community College)

Two-time NJCAA All-American at OCC and led the Lazers to consecutive junior college national championships in 2013 and 2014 … Made 343 career saves and posted a 4.83 career goals-against average … Named the 2014 NJCAA Defensive Player of the Year after stopping 160 shots and recording a 4.33 goals-against average … Starting goalie for the Iroquois Nationals at the 2014 FIL World Championship and helped the squad win the bronze medal, the first world championship medal in field lacrosse in the nation’s history … Played for Georgetown lacrosse legend Brodie Merrill at The Hill Academy.

from the SU..athletics site.

I'LL TELL YOU A LITTLE MORE AT THE NEXT TAILGATE

Warren Hill, Goalie
Six Nations, Ontario, Canada (Hill Academy/Onondaga Community College)

Two-time NJCAA All-American at OCC and led the Lazers to consecutive junior college national championships in 2013 and 2014 … Made 343 career saves and posted a 4.83 career goals-against average … Named the 2014 NJCAA Defensive Player of the Year after stopping 160 shots and recording a 4.33 goals-against average … Starting goalie for the Iroquois Nationals at the 2014 FIL World Championship and helped the squad win the bronze medal, the first world championship medal in field lacrosse in the nation’s history … Played for Georgetown lacrosse legend Brodie Merrill at The Hill Academy.

from the SU..athletics site.

I'LL TELL YOU A LITTLE MORE AT THE NEXT TAILGATE
:(

Extreme is correct, this class is an outlier. After last years huge haul there was no way this class was going to be huge and one of the top prospects is going prep for a year. The keys are actually the Juco Guys, Barber and Hill are huge pickups.
I don't understand why you continually state that there is no way this class could be good because last years class was great. Pretty much every major program has top class after top class, and this one appears to be a dud for SU. Granted not all highly rated players pan out, but I would rather take my chance with a top 5 class than the 18th. Beyond Hill and Fusco, I am not real sure about the rest of the class. I liked watching Thorpe in high school and McKinney could develop into a solid middie. I don't count D'Agostino as part of this class, but I sure am glad he is back. He was just hitting stride at the end of his freshman year.