Devan Carter | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Devan Carter

These are the type of kids you CAN'T lose. No excuses.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Are you joking, drunk, or actually attempting to suggest that the complete overhaul of a coaching staff is not a valid reason for a couple decommits? I hope it's one or both of the former and not the latter, since it's odd to me. I mean, granted, the DC becomes the head coach but everything else has changed. I honestly never quite understand why kids stick to their "commitments" in these instances anyway. If you interviewed for a job with a manager, a VP and a CEO and by the time they offered all three were gone would it change your opinion of said job? I would think so.

the question you should be asking is it Carter was not a local NY kid would we be getting so worked up about him. he is a LB recruit who has almost no LB background.

I don't recall Doug Hogue or Derrell Smith having a great HS linebacking background either. They seemed to work out pretty well.

Also, Devan started every game his Senior year at LB and played most of his JR season at LB. Not sure where you are getting that he has no LB background. Does he have to start from his freshman season all the way to his SR season to make you happy? Just because most kids don't start as FR and Sophs.

I don't recall Doug Hogue or Derrell Smith having a great HS linebacking background either. They seemed to work out pretty well.

Also, Devan started every game his Senior year at LB and played most of his JR season at LB. Not sure where you are getting that he has no LB background. Does he have to start from his freshman season all the way to his SR season to make you happy? Just because most kids don't start as FR and Sophs.

Hogue was a very good LB ... the reason we landed him was he preferred RB and we told him he would have a shot to play there ... PSU wanted him to play LB there badly.

he only played a few games his sr season until he broke his leg.

houge and smith did not come in as LB's but Houge played it at a high level in HS.

he was only Hon Men all Roch not even 1st/2nd team and that was as a RB not for his Defense.

i'm only basing my thoughts on people who have seen him play, I have never seen him play.

houge and smith did not come in as LB's but Houge played it at a high level in HS.

he was only Hon Men all Roch not even 1st/2nd team and that was as a RB not for his Defense.

i'm only basing my thoughts on people who have seen him play, I have never seen him play.

The better question is, would Marrone, Shafer and Morrison have recruited him as a LB if he couldn't play there at a high level and help the team??

My guess is that he showed more than enough athleticism and instinct as a LB for them to believe he was much better there than at RB.

Devan was 1st Team All Greater Rochester and 1st Team All State, so I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. He played 5 full games and started on D for all but one of them. He's definitely a project, but he's a project that's 6'2" 235 right now with the ability to add more and stay running a 4.5. If he stays committed, he will not be the most polished in the class but I guarantee he will shock everyone with how explosive he is.

This is my thoughts on this. Can't lose a guy for that reason.

Then why don't we let all the recruits play the position they want? Well, because you are limited in schollies and we have certain positions to fill. If the coaches project him as LB, then that's the position he's getting his schollie for. Maybe the coaches change their minds later, but letting the recruit dictate where they're going to play before they even sign the LOI isn't the best thing to do.

Devan was 1st Team All Greater Rochester and 1st Team All State, so I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. He played 5 full games and started on D for all but one of them. He's definitely a project, but he's a project that's 6'2" 235 right now with the ability to add more and stay running a 4.5. If he stays committed, he will not be the most polished in the class but I guarantee he will shock everyone with how explosive he is.

Who is primarily in contact with him right now from the SU staff? And can you place odds on him staying Orange? Thanks in advance.

Who is primarily in contact with him right now from the SU staff? And can you place odds on him staying Orange? Thanks in advance.

I know he's met with almost everyone (Shafer, Bullough, Lea, McDonald, Smith). Last I heard, he loved those guys and everything they had to say but I haven't heard anything new since his Rutgers trip this past weekend. Will try to find out more today.

What's annoying these past few years is we don't touch NJ, but they feel very comfortable coming to our turf
Think that will change with HCSS. Just think of all the former NJ players that use to dot the Cuse roster.

Are you joking, drunk, or actually attempting to suggest that the complete overhaul of a coaching staff is not a valid reason for a couple decommits? I hope it's one or both of the former and not the latter, since it's odd to me. I mean, granted, the DC becomes the head coach but everything else has changed. I honestly never quite understand why kids stick to their "commitments" in these instances anyway. If you interviewed for a job with a manager, a VP and a CEO and by the time they offered all three were gone would it change your opinion of said job? I would think so.

Guess you are joking or drunk not to understand recruiting. I would say the same thing no matter who the staff was. Top players in your own back yard that are legit D1 players, have to be kept home. Did you have the same fit when Marrone said the same words about local area kids a couple years ago?

Guess you are joking or drunk not to understand recruiting. I would say the same thing no matter who the staff was. Top players in your own back yard that are legit D1 players, have to be kept home. Did you have the same fit when Marrone said the same words about local area kids a couple years ago?

I don't disagree that effectively recruiting upstate is important for this program but I would certainly suggest that a complete overhaul of a coaching staff is extenuating circumstances, no? I mean if you're an 18-year-old football recruit and you went on visits and developed a relationship with a staff and a head coach, etc., then you look up one day in January and everyone other than the defensive coordinator is gone, I would think it would give you pause. It might even make you feel a little bitter toward the school.

I agree SS needs to recruit well upstate but I think there are plenty of legitimate reasons -- not excuses -- why a kid like Carter could be hard to hold on to.

Maybe SU knew what they were doing when recruiting this kid as a LB.

"The redshirt sophomore didn't see action in his first two years as he tried to carve out a role in a deep and talented backfield.
As the sixth running back on the depth chart this spring, Carter was a prime candidate to move to defense"

Yeah he was buried on the depth chart at RB. Rutgers just lost a LB to ACL tear. Moved him there for depth. LB is his best chance to see the field. Syracuse knew all along he was best suited for that